Talk with Hindu doc I work for

by purplesofa 30 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Well, India has a population of over a billion people, most of them so gd dirt poor we can't even begin to imagine what their lives are like. I'm not sure it's fair to say "those HINDUS practice wife-burning" as if it's a sacrament of the religion or something.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Oh, they're POOR. It's OK then.

Sacrament - a word used to justify behavior based on superstition.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Don't see where I said it was ok bro

Sacrament - a word used to justify behavior based on superstition

I was using the word more like the sense from this definition:

- a formal religious ceremony conferring a specific grace on those who receive it

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I am not trying to condone or excuse this behaviour.........

only to educate and understand why and how people get to this point of absurdity, and cruelty. and as far as the bride burning ......there has been more occurances in the last twenty years and I was trying to find out as to why.

I really dont know enough to say much about as to whether it comes from Hindu religion.......Indian customs, a few wacked out people.......

I just was more curious about the Hindu belief system overall and not magnify on one certain thing........now it has opened a can of worms with tons more questions and curiousity than i first thought.

and I do think that all religions are the result of superstitions........

and Christianity........is an accepted civilized form of superstition.

purps

Just because McDonalds sells the most hamburgers does not mean they are the best!

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I spoke with the HIndu doc today riding down the elevator together..........asked him about the bride burning.

He did not have any comment about that

he did say......

No religion is perfect

No man is perfect

No god is perfect

and the more we keep expecting perfection the more unhappy we will be.

• Scully
    Scully

I spoke with the HIndu doc today riding down the elevator together..........asked him about the bride burning. He did not have any comment about that he did say...... No religion is perfect No man is perfect No god is perfect and the more we keep expecting perfection the more unhappy we will be.

Kind of reminds me of when the WTS publishes claims that they are Spirit Directed™ and expects JWs to do what they say, and believe what they are being taught... and when there are negative outcomes.... they pull the old "we are just imperfect men" bait-and-switch routine.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Kind of reminds me of when the WTS publishes claims that they are Spirit Directed™ and expects JWs to do what they say, and believe what they are being taught... and when there are negative outcomes.... they pull the old "we are just imperfect men" bait-and-switch routine.

Well, except for the fact that in Hinduism there's no central authority structure that claims Holy Spirit Guidance and that expects Hindus to do what they say, and that Hindus don't teach that their religion is the absolute truth and try to convert people, other than those things, yeah, exactly! Insightful comment!

• aniron
    aniron
    He said Hindus are tolerant of other religions as they want to be tolerated.

Is that why they killed thousands of Muslims during the partition in 1947.

Is that why I keep getting mail from Gospel for Asia. Telling me how Christians and Christian ministers have been attacked or imprisoned by Hindus and even Buddhists in parts of India. Churches have been burned down also.

• Terry
    Terry
    The concept of 'upper' and 'lower' caste is therefore a matter of social standing and ritual pollution rather than anything based on wealth or influence. In the past, some castes would not allow other caste members to touch them, and would have washed themselves or their possessions if they had been touched by someone from a "lower" caste. In some parts of India, there was the practice of defining the physical distance one should keep from persons of another caste. As a result of this, children who attended a school where children of lower castes were present had to bathe in running water before returning home. In some parts of the world and India, such caste discrimination still exists, though it is punishable by law.

I only have one thing to say about this.

There always seems to be something romantically alluring about the color of the grass on the other side of your fence.

If we look at anything "other" than our usual milieu it is often seen as exotic and mysteriously enlightened.

If the Beatles hadn't fallen for the Maharishi and made the whole meditation movement exciting and trendy....well...we might not have seen such a foothold

of Eastern religion growing in the counterculture in our country.

Be that as it may, you can look at the practical day to day results of a belief system and see whether it is bunk or truth. How? Look at the lives of the pople who believe it and it is like testing quack medicine for results.

An enlightened belief system should produce enlightened society. Truth of a transcendant nature should get you up off your butt and make you the most advanced culture with the greatest cultural advances. In other words, people will look at the effects caused by greater Truth and know instantly you really have something besides words to offer.

But, we don't see this, do we?

Isn't it always science and technology that makes society advanced, comfortable, longer-living and healthier?

Isn't it precise information about nutrition and a highly developed analytical technique that defeats disease, defect and disaster?

When we look at overpopulated society, a class system that considers the poor and the diseased as deserving their punishment due to bad Karma--are we really gazing at the results of enlightenment?

No, we are merely enchanted by the mythos of an exotic story whose fragrance in its telling masks the stench of self-delusion.

Religion of any flavor, description or practice is about as connected to the practical advancement of society as wearing a propeller beanie or dancing the Hokey Pokey.

Cause produces Effect.

Look at the Effect and you can reasonably evaluate the Cause.

Rent the movie GHANDI for a pretty accurate depiction of the bloody enlightenment of the Muslims and Hindus during the partitioning.

Remember, it wasn't a Mulim who shot Ghandi. It was a fellow Hindi.

If we ask a Catholic to tell us about Catholicism or a Jehovah's Witness to explain their religion do you imagine we will hear an accurate telling? Or, will we hear the nicest possible synopsis of a wholly imaginary viewpoint?

Each and every religion is only as good and as true as the actual practice of it. The track record of benefit vs harm will be written in blood, lies and mayhem.

We humans are absolutely smitten by the naive notion that BELIEVING something beautiful leads to a better life. Well, it doesn't. BELIEF is not information and FAITH is not knowledge. Just look at the society produced by these fancies and you'll not see the exception to this, but, the rule.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    The Aryans (Aryan means noble) were a nomadic people who may have come to India from the areas around southern Russia and the Baltic.

They brought with them their language and their religious traditions. These both influenced and were influenced by the religious practices of the peoples who were already living in India.

These may have been celts, who originated from around that area, and spread outwards in various waves at various times. They generally had higher technologies and ideologies that enabled them to both overcome and raise the civilisations that they met.

Hinduism has some attractive philosophical jewels, such as natural cycles and a single source. However, it has some serious problems. The caste system is one of those. It has had a contributing influence on the muslim religious incursions into the population. Islam attracts converts from the lower classes by offering them equality.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit