The Mayan Calander Ends 2012 December

by frankiespeakin 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I think it's safe to say that many Mayans will be missing appointments.

W.Once

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Seems like the mayan's should have been concerned with events a hell of a lot longer ago than 2012!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

So the Mayan method of calculating time becomes obsolete.
    It's about time, I guess.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Another end-times prediction. This time because some dead Mayans ran out of space on a piece of rock for their calendar. Ooh scary.

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

Some months ago I had the rare privilege of attending a public lecture given by a visiting K'iche (Guatemalan) Mayan Daykeeper/calendar priest. As one with a lifelong interest in their culture (thanks in part to my parents' two years of missionary service in Guatemala & repeated family trips there when I was younger), I was particularly interested in what would be said regarding the 2012 issue.

This man (who spoke no English & needed his wife to translate) essentially stated what has been expressed previously in this thread by FMZ, Black Swan, & others--many of the Maya themselves believe that 2012 will represent more of a shift in consciousness or evolution (especially in a spiritual sense)--one that has already begun--than an all-out cataclysm of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or the like. They do feel, however, that since the Earth is a living being with feelings, an increase in such events is 'Her' way of expressing displeasure with the way 'she' has been treated. After investigating several other belief systems & spiritual traditions (what begins as simple curiosity often turns to avid interest!), I realize that the Maya are hardly the only indigenous culture to believe such things, or to now share them with the world at large..

No question about it, we are living in interesting times (& thank goodness we don't need a man-made Org to tell us what it all means..). To be able to read or study whatever one wishes--& ESPECIALLY to think for oneself & come to one's own conclusions--what a refreshing change after all those years of bondage!!!

In Lake'ch,

DR

• FMZ
    FMZ

Desert, I'd be very interested in hearing about the other cultures you have found that hold similar beliefs.

KJ

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Too bad the Mayans couldn't predict their own demise.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I wonder how many other dozens of ancient calenders have long since expired that we don't know about. The world hasn't stopped since then. It would be only natural to hold ancient civilizations in awe, viewing them as a source of forgetten knowledge, but focusing on their calender is probably the least effective way to draw upon their knowledge.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

Call me a crackpot, but I'm one of them.

You're a crackpot.

Elsewhere - you made me laugh out loud, hilarious.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Yes I have.

It is interesting (not that I think it has any significance)

first of all, the start dat of the mayan calember is not 100% sure.

I thought that they believe that at the end of each cycle the world is re-created, after it will end in some kind of desctruction. I have been told that this time it is an end wih fire.

I wonder how mayans will look forward to this day....

D B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit