PLEASE HELP ME

by helpme222 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shining One
    Shining One

First you should cry out to God to demonstrate His presence to you and your situation. After you pray this pay very close attention to anyone who comes into your life or any event that shows God heard your cry. I did this and He was very quick about reveaing Himself but do keep up the prayer. I have been there and I know. Do not do anything to alienate your parents as it will backfire. If you come at them like some of the people do here you will just prove the Watchtower was 'right'. To get relatives and friends out you need prayer, patience and guidance. Feel free to send me a IM here anytime.
    I don't at all recommend this site. What you have here is a bunch of malcontents that will do their best to remove any belief in God that you have left. Find some Christian friends, and I mean 'born again, Bible believing' people that you can talk to about this. You no doubt know some. I am praying for you now. God bless.
    Rex

• Mrs.Congeniality
    Mrs.Congeniality

WELCOME, THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR CONCERN. KEEP IN MIND YOUR PARENTS HAVE BEEN IN THIS ORG. FOR MANY YEARS AND THEY TRULY BELIEVE THAT IF YOU ARE NOT A JW YOU WILL SURELY DIE. THIS IS A HARD THING TO DEAL WITH FOR PARENTS. THEY LOVE YOU AND WANT WHAT IS BEST. I THINK YOU SHOULD START THOWING LITTLE QUESTIONS TO THEM. CHECK OUT THIS SITE AND THE QUESTIONS DIFFERENT ONES HAVE AND THE ANSWERS THEY HAVE GOTTEN. DONT ASK MAJOR QUESTIONS YET OR THEY ARE GOING TO WONDER WHAT APOSTATE THINGS YOU HAVE BEEN LISTENING TOO. START OUT LITTLE AND DONT THROW TO MANY THINGS THEIR WAY AT ONCE. GIVE THEM SOME THINGS THAT THEY WILL HAVE TO RESEARCH. THINGS THAT WHEN THEY DO RESEARCH THEY WILL BE SHOCKED AT WHAT THEY FIND. I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

MRS. C

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What does it say about that f***ing religion that a 16 year old needs to ask anonymous strangers on the net for help in reaching out to his/her parents?

helpme222, you are at a very special age where you need to find your own direction in life. Your parents will naturally want what's best for you and in their minds that will only ever equate with a life 'in the Truth'. I cannot imagine how difficult it will be for you but you need to reassure your parents of your love and respect for them, tell them that you will always value their advice but that you need to be true to yourself. Ask them if they want their child to be a hypocrite?

At just 16 your parents will have nightmares about you leaving the truth for a life of illicit sex and drugs while pursuing your chosen career of petty theft or gambling addiction. Show them what a sane, reasonable and balanced individual you are.

As for issues of faith - don't listen to morons like Shining One or atheists like myself. Don't be told what to think, find your own way and think for yourself.

All the very best,

Nic'

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I really feel for you! I was in a similar position at 16 - my family were very strict and I couldnt live the way the organisation dictated. Unlike you I still believed it was Gods organisation until about 2 years ago even though at 16 I was made to leave home and disfellowshipped.

My family are unrelenting and still to this day will not speak to me or see me which is really painful. you are in a unique position of knowing its not the truth.

Arm yourself with information and feed them only facts when you judge them to be ready. This will be hard as you are only 16 but I have confidence in you - as unlike me you know already all by yourself its a brainwashing cult. Trust your gut instincts. And maybe like 4JWY's family you will be fortunate enough to have them leave with you - this may take time but presumably you cant afford to be out on your own at 16 so use your time wisely to cultivate a more open minded thinking in your family. Ask questions all the time - hopefully there will come a point when they start asking the same unanswerable questions themselves and join your realisation.

I hope this does happen for you because it is devastating to be out without your loved ones and no way at all to breach the gap and even get them to listen to you say hello without putting the phone down.

Let us know how you get on.

Warm wishes

Crumpet x

• jgnat
    jgnat

Two years to freedom.....

One of my favorite young posters, who rode the fine line between "apostacy" and "witness-son" is RichieRich. He's eighteen now, and facing new battles. I have high hopes that his intelligence and adaptability will pull him through. You might get encouragement from reading some of his threads. Try this attitude on for size, "I might be sitting down on the outside but I'm standing up on the inside."

if I have to continue living this life, I will break

You need people to talk to who feel like you do, so you can have some release. I don't want you to break. I want you to survive. After you survive, you will thrive. There are some young JW's on this site who are living at home. Find them, and build some web friendships. That way, you will get ideas on how to cope with your situation, and some sympathy for the bad days.

I have a mental trick that allows me to attend the meetings without engaging my mind. I bring a blank notebook and write and study whatever I feel like. I allow the speaker to become a background noise that helps me concentrate on my own thoughts. This helps me maintain my true self, even in the middle of a meeting.

how can I solve this

I don't think it is realistic at this point to convince your parents of what you see so clearly. If you continue to talk about your deep dissatisfaction with the society, your parents will freak and maybe start restricting your freedom. Remember, you cannot convince anyone if they don't want to hear. I think a realistic goal is to convince your parents for right now that you will not come to harm if you cut back on your involvement with the society. Perhaps hint that you are going through a phase, or need a short time to "sow wild oats.", but after your searching, you will certainly come back.

Are you baptized yet? Another good goal is to convince your parents that you SHOULD NOT be baptized until you are an adult.

And, finally, hold back your most alarming thoughts until you are out of the house and living on your own. All parents must face one day that their children are free to choose their own life. It's the timing that's important. Help your parents face reality AFTER you are fully independent.

How can I reach out to my parents, I can't talk to them because they believe everything that the religion throws at them

For now, I think a more realistic goal is to convince them that you are not making any permanent life choices that will end your life. Just keep them calm. After you are on your own and you do more than survive but thrive, you can show by your example that there is a better way.

Two years to freedom....

OH, and on a very practical note, see if you can set up a personal bank account where you can sock a little money away. As a move towards independence.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

Hi and welcome helpme222...

I am 16 years old and I was raised as a jehovah's witness, but I want out.

been there / done that....

How can I reach out to my parents, I can't talk to them because they believe everything that the religion throws at them

Good Luck with that...

Hey, when I left(15 years ago), I didn't have a great place like this to come for advice or whatever.... Lucky you..

PEACE, Mike

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit