Should you believe in the Trinity?

by 1ofhissheep 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

??LT whhhhhatt?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Q:Simply that you aren't espousing a "Trinity" at all. You've got an interesting polytheistic twist on "Godhead" in the LDS, but it isn't Monotheism by any stretch of the imagination. In fact it's nearer the concept of a Hierarchical Pantheon.

That's not a castigation of your beliefs, just calling it as it really is.

• 1ofhissheep
    1ofhissheep

You know, we can talk about the little things (such as when to use prokuneo as what - which I still haven't been given an answer by a JW on what gramatical changes occure to make it mean obeisance instead of worship). Or we can take the scriptures that are plain to understand and try to figure out how the other ones fit in.

In other words, Gen 31: 11 (Then the angel of the [true] God said to me ... I am the [true] God of Beth´el, where you anointed a pillar and where you vowed a vow to me. Now get up, go out of this land and return to the land of your birth.") is a very straight forward scripture. There is no doubt that the Angel of the Lord is claiming to be the one whom the vow was made to. And every other scripture that is just as blatant. So, any other messages in the bible MUST make sense when placed next to these.

• daystar
    daystar

Shhhh... LT! That's supposed to be a secret...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Daystar:
    S'ok, I'm not going to give away the secret Temple handshake

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Ahhh - now I get you - sorry wasn't trying to espose the trinity (one being manifest as three) at all though I do believe in the trinity (three beings acting as 'one').

LDS godly heirarchy is pretty wild but to me the rest of any religion doesn't promise anything better:

1 All people are literally spirit children of two God's ( God the Father and His unnamed wife - (Old Testament | Genesis 1:27)27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them) - hence the eternal commandment (Old Testament | Genesis 2:24)24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh - reiterated by Jesus - (New Testament | Matthew 19:4 - 6)
    4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
    5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
    6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

2 All people have the opportunity to become like the Father (i.e. a God with a perfected Body and perfected knowledge.) but to do so must be given free will and learn to return in utter obedience to the Father (i.e. handing that 'free will' back in the form of obedience and worship - just as Jesus did - not my will but thine be done.)

3 Those who pass the test and seek these things start the cycle again. But Israel shall be saved in the LORD with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. (note I yanked these scriptures out of context.)

4 All can be a God but - Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

(New Testament | 1 John 3:1 - 2)

1 BEHOLD, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
    2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

(New Testament | Revelation 21:6 - 7)

6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
    7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry:

For the most part I agree with what you've written on this thread. ; Hebrew is far from primitive, however. ; The goatherds were pretty much illiterate, however the literate had quite a lot of interesting philosophy going on.

After all, I know you know that the West didn't invent mathematics, etc...

Language is a mirror to the intellectual needs of the people using it. ;

Make us wonder about what the English language says about us all, doesn't it?

I "blame" the Greeks for mathematics (which at least one fella tried to make into a religion!)

The Greeks and the Egyptians had a very practical bent which the Hebrews missed entirely.

The Hebrew writings are lovely literary expostulations with a tendency toward irony and compulsive self-promotion/hatred.

Science is the gift of the Greeks. The only thing they really lacked was experimentation. The dolts insisted on demonstrating proofs through language and not in a laboratory! They went on trying to square the circle long past their bedtime.

• Terry
    Terry

When everybody is god; nobody is god. Or, at least the coin is devalued.

Sui generis lends value by rarity. Like the Sybil's leaves; the fewer the greater the treasure.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

..what handshake?...;)

• 1ofhissheep
    1ofhissheep

Ok. I know this is not a Mormon site but, since Mormonism has been brought up, I have a question.

What's up with this eternal preganacy thing for women? I mean, what the???

I may have enjoyed my pregnancy but to have that be my BIG reward? To be giving burth to spirit children forever?? I would feel kind of cheated

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit