Should you believe in the Trinity?

by 1ofhissheep 61 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 1ofhissheep
    1ofhissheep

Hey, I am new to this site and looking into the JW faith and Watchtower. I have currently been studying what was written in the "Should you believe in the Trinity?" publication found at Watchtower.org . The big section I have been studying is the information on what the early church fathers taught (bottom of this link). Has anyone tried to find the quotes Watchtower mentions? I am trying to locate them but it's hard because all they say is who they are quoting form. NO location at all.

Thanks for the help,

K

• Honesty
    Honesty

I see it didn't take you long to figure out how the Watchtower operates.

Is this what you need

• carla
    carla

There is a book called, 'Yes, you should believe in the Trinity' by Harvey. It disputes the jw view and supplies quotes and all sources used by the wt and/or it's misquotes as well. I think it is available at Freeminds, Witness Inc. (?), MacGregor Ministries and probably many other anti or ex jw sites.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Welcome 1ofhissheep.

You might find these publications helpful: The Watchtower and the Ante-Nicene Church by Michael J. Partyka and Exposing "Should You Believe In The Trinity by Angel Arellano. I think both books are available from freeminds.org.

You may have already noticed the scholastic dishonesty of the Watchtower. They try to discourage the reader from investigating their sources; that is why there are few footnotes and page and edition references to books quoted are lacking in most Watchtower publications. Also be wary when the Watchtower quotes someone and uses the ellipsis after just a few words into the quotation.

• renando_stimpy
    renando_stimpy

Should you Believe in the Trinity?

I think the question that needs to be presented is "What does the Bible Teach?"

I've had many Jehovah's Witnesses scream at me "The word Trinity does not appear in the Bible" and I answer (politely) no your quite correct it doesn't, But the logical conclusion that it exists is undeniable and to believe that it doesn't is illogical.. and we know God is not the author of Confusion and is therefore not illogical...

Is there a person called the Father in the NT and is he called God?

2 Peter 1:17 - For he recieved honour and Glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory saying, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.

From that one passage we see that there is a person called the Father and he is called God and we also see a person called the Son

Is there a person called the Son in the NT and is he called God?

John 8:58-59 - Jesus applies the "I Am" divine name from Ex 3:13-14 unto himself and the Jews knew it as they instantly took up stones to kill him, because he'd called himself God.

John 5:15-18 - A man Jesus healed told the jews about it, the Jews tried to kill him for breaking the sabbath law, Jesus said if my Father works so can I.. the Jews again tried to kill him for claiming equality with the father..

John 10:29-33 - Jesus explains that the Father is greater than all, and then says "I and the Father are One", the jews once again seek to kill him, upon asking why they tell him that he is blaspheming by making himself equal with God..

There a 4 Suggestions here

1) Jesus is Clinically insane

2) Jesus is Dillusional and doesn't know who he is

3) Jesus is deliberately decieving people

4) He actually was Who he claimed to Be !!

Rev 1:12-18 - We see one unto like the Son of Man (Jesus Christ) identified as Alpha and Omega and First and Last as he is speaking and then in v18 the one speaking said he was dead at one stage Who died except the Son?

Rev 22:13 - The Alpha and Omega describes himself as also the "First and Last"

This passage contradicts Isa 44:6 which says Jehovah God is the First and Last and besides him there is no God..

Which incidently contradicts the NWT John 1:1 which claims there are Two Gods..

Heb 1:8 - But unto the Son ( Jesus ) he saith ( Jehovah ) your throne O'God is forever and ever..

Is there a person called the Spirit and is he called God?

Acts 5:3-4 - Ananius lied to the Holy Spirit and Peter said he had lied to God...

And just to quell the "Active Force" theory in Acts 13:1-2 how could an Active Force ( lightning ? ) set aside work for people? if this is a personification what action or feeling or emotion is this describing through personification...

might I also add that in Luke 1:41,67 - the world "filled" ( grk. pletho ) can mean "furnished" as in we are the "temple of the living God" and we are furnished with the Holy Spirit... and the word "poured" ( grk. ekcheo ) as in "poured out" means "to bestow"

I understand that it takes alot more than that to explain my reasoning but i'm trying to keep it brief, those verses alone bring about the watchtower reasoning usually, that Jehovah is Almighty God ( notice in Isa 10:21 he's called "mighty" ) and Jesus is a little God just a puny "Mighty God" but we know this is illogical because there is only one True god and therefore Jesus must be false... and that there a Two Alpha's and Two Omega's and Two First's and Two Last's which is also quite illogical...

My aim isn't make you believe, I understand there are some that like God in there own little box, and If I could use a well worn and crusty analogy, I would point to the triple-point of water, when water at the exact same instance in time is three seperate things (in the right circumstance) whilst still remaining the same substance, and if our Creator can create something that can do it, why can't he do it himself :)

That's my 29 cents anyhow. Feel Free to Flame away...

God Bless..

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

I would check out these two links. They are GREAT resources

http://home.comcast.net/~neirr/believeintrinity.htm

there is another that I have but I can't find a link to by Gospel Defense Ministries. They have a whole essay on the Trinity Brochure. It shows how they leave important sections of their quotations out of the Encyclopedia's they cite.
    Anyone have that? I got it from JWD before.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome 1ofhissheep!

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

here is a previous thread on the topic

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/107582/1.ashx

• catbert
    catbert

Read Mark 13:32

"But of that day, and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father."

Its simple. Jesus as Almighty God knows the day and the hour, but when he became human, he lost the date because he was living in a time before calendars based on the date of his death were created, whereas when he died and became Almighty God, he is timeless, and has access to modern calendars, including the one with the "X" on Mar 13, 2012.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    Should you believe in the Trinity?

Is believing like a choice or something, or an effort of will ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit