Would I really want to be in the "new world" anyway...

by hartstrings 13 Replies latest jw friends

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

This morning in the shower I was thinking about why it is that JW's preaching (like I used to do) about a paradise with no wickedness really bothers me. I DON'T WANT TO BE THERE. If JW's are right and God is going to destroy the majority of people so that just those who happened to live at the right time, in the right place, etc. can live forever with a couple of men telling me, a woman what to do, no thanks. I don't want to serve a God who would give humans the ability to think and then tell them not think. I don't want to worship a God who gives me self-autonomy and expects me to quash it. It boils down to the fact that I could not live forever with a God who teased me with all these "gifts" and then didn't allow me to use them. Not to mention, that any God who will destroy most of his creation just because they won't join a church that most think are crazy, well that's just...crazy. No thanks.

It reminds me of a poem from the early 20th century by Countee Cullen

Yet Do I Marvel

I doubt not God is good, well-meaning, kind,

And did He stoop to quibble could tell why

The little buried mole continues blind,

Why flesh that mirrors Him must some day die,

Make plain the reason tortured Tantalus

Is baited by the fickle fruit, declare

If merely brute caprice dooms Sisyphus

to struggle up a never-ending stair.

Inscrutable His ways are, and immune

To catechism by a mind too strewn

With petty cares to slightly understand

What awful brain compels His awful hand.

Yet do I marvel at this curious thing;

To make a poet black, and bid him sing!

• vitty
    vitty

You need to read "Diary of an Armageddon survivor"...............Ive never read anything that makes you THINK, about the new system and what it would be like

Its on www.macgregorministries.org Ive printed it out, its definitely worth a look

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Hi hartstrings,

I was wondering about this myself.
    Would I want to? I heard this argument so many times in the field service.

But now I think about it, yes probably I would do it, if I had a choice. Hanging on to life is something human I guess, even in difficult conditions.

Danny B

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I just read "Diary of an Armageddon Survivor", very thought - provoking, and I can imagine some elders acting like that. I don't believe there's going to be a new world anymore anyway, but even if the jws are right, I wouldn't want to spend eternity with them. I'll settle for what I have now.

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Thanks for that link vitty. I get the point behind it, that is for sure.

HS

• Joe Grundy
  • dvw
    dvw

nope, most of the "worldly" folks i know, i like. most of the dubs have absolutely NO personality. wouldnt we all get pretty tired of praising god, all day, every day? 5 times a week seemed plenty to me before. just think how much more of it would be going on in the new system.

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

the ideas I've seen espoused by JW's about it make it seem really frightening.
    I mean, still having to attend the Kingdom hall and all that?
    strange

smellsgood

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

the ideas I've seen espoused by JW's about it make it seem really frightening.
    I mean, still having to attend the Kingdom hall and all that?
    strange

smellsgood

• parakeet
    parakeet

There was a sister in my cong that really gave me the creeps. She was malicious, cunning, and somehow disturbing. I could never quite put my finger on it, but she wasn't quite right. Just before I left the JWs, my last prayer to God went like this: "Dear Jehovah, if it's really your will that I must choose either to die or to live forever with the likes of Sister ---, then all I've got to say is, 'Strike me down now!' Amen."
    I meant it then, and I mean it now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit