What Bible do you like?

by Tristram 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tristram
    Tristram

Having read nothing but the NWT all my life, I am interested in getting a couple other translations to see their interpretations of the Scriptures. I really don't have any idea where to start. I have heard the NIV has a distinctly "conservative evangelical" bent which doesn't really interest me, but what translations have you used that you like?

Tristram.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

When I was a jw, I quite liked the Jerusalem Bible, and my boyfriend liked the Phillips New Testament translation, but there are plenty of others, and you can read through some of them on Gateway Bible passage look up. Take a look on there and see which one takes your fancy.

• vitty
    vitty

The living bible, because it was very easy to understand and read. It also got me thinking while I was still active.

I know its not the most scholastica (Spelling?)............ of bibles........but hey im not a scholar

• vitty
  • drew sagan
    drew sagan

I like the Good News Bible. It's not for deep theological study, but great for just sitting down and reading. Me and my wife both just got one and we are quite happy with it.
    The layout is very well done too. It is like reading a totally differant book as compared to the NWT. You can get it for only $5.00 here:
    Link
    I would encourage you to get a parallel translation of the Bible, you will be able to compare a number of differant translations all without having to keep moving from book to book. It's a great way to see which translation is right for you.
    -drew

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

I use the New Geneva Study Bible.. I really like it. It is user friendly, has introductions to each book about the time written, interpretive difficulties, it has cross references, and different theological opinions as footnotes if you wish to get some insight.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    "conservative evangelical" bent

This made me laugh. What are you looking for? The liberal, deny all miracles, Jesus isn't God, Paul was a self-hating Jew bible? Sorry, but for some reason those only exist within the "hallowed" halls of liberal academia, or the Jesus Seminar. But I digress.

The NIV is a very good scholastic bible. The New Living Translation is also a very good modern translation. If you just want word-for-word accuracy the NASB is the best.

Then again if you simply wnat a bible that will adhere to your presuppositions, then why even bother reading it?

Edited to add: Love your name. It is my son's name only with an "n."

• Tristram
    Tristram

Yeah maybe I shouldn't have put that little quip in there. Its just something I read awhile ago about the NIV. It was included in a summation of translations that also took other translations to task for being too "feel good" or other things, etc. I really wish I could remember the source. That being said, the NIV does certainly seem to be the favorite translation of your Pat Robertson, Hal Lindsey, John Hagee "conservative evangelical" types. Here is a little something I dug up on Wikipedia re: the NIV: "The RSV was criticized by conservative Christians for not using traditional Christian translations of certain texts regarding the virginity of Mary, and other Old Testament passages whose Christian interpretation referred them to Jesus. The New International Version project was begun to meet the perceived need of having an updated Bible in contemporary English but which preserved traditional Evangelical theology on these contested points."

But then all I've ever read is the NWT, so I'm not really in a position to judge one translation over another.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

While I was still a JW I preferred the New English Bible and the Today's English Bible to the NWT. However, today there are many excellent translations available. The New Jerusalem Bible, The Revised English Bible, and the Stone Edition Tanach are my favorites.

• parakeet
    parakeet

"Like" is way too strong a term for what I feel about any bible now. But I keep a Revised Standard Version on hand for reference purposes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit