BLOOD ON THEIR HANDS Twisting a life-affirming law into death

by Terry 80 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Terry
    Terry
    I truly enjoyed your post, Leolaia. Thanks so much!

Respect for life cannot possibly imply losing it on purpose to demonstrate that you respect it.

Excellent summary, Terry.

I think Leolaia did a masterful job here!

I keep aiming at a concise way of presenting this. It should not require so much effort to remove this burden from hapless JW victims, but; it does.

The rank and file simply cling to the same rotten notion that it is better to DIE for your faith than to LIVE by it!!

I blame the "Faithful and Discreet Slave" for this insanity. It is an abominable display of hubris and a sick and twisted mindset.

The Watchtower is filled with pus.

• Warren
    Warren

"Each time the prohibition of blood is mentioned in the Scriptures it is in connection with taking it as food, and so it is as a nutrient that we are concerned with in its being forbidden." w58 9/15 575

The simplest way to refute the WTS position on blood transfusions is to demonstrate that transfused blood is not treated by the body as food, hence no eating is taking place. Did anyone here notice this quote from the August 2006 Awake:

No wonder Brian McClelland, director of Edinburgh and Scotland blood transfusion Service, asks doctors to "remember that a transfusion is a transplant and therefore not a trivial decision."

A blood transfusion is a transplant. A liquid tissue transplant. Blood is an organ. When blood is transfused it is treated by the body as an organ transplant, not as food. The WTS approves of organ transplants. Equating a blood transfusion with eating blood is like equating a kidney transplant to eating a kidney. When a kidney is transplanted, the body doesn't consume it as food. The kidney remains in the body doing what a kidney does. Likewise, when blood is transfused. The transfused blood remains in the circulatory system doing what blood is suppose to do. It is not consumed by the body as food.

• TD
    TD

Hi Warren

The simplest way to refute the WTS position on blood transfusions is to demonstrate that transfused blood is not treated by the body as food, hence no eating is taking place.

The "blood argument" has gone through a number of permutations over the years.

http://www.ajwrb.org/history/index.shtml#evolution

As you point out, it was originally claimed that transfused blood was consumed in the body as "food." The 1958 rationale for the allowance of fractions, (e.g. That they did not nourish the body as blood did) if taken to it's logical conclusion, actually would have brought the whole doctrine crashing down, as no part of transfused blood nourishes the body.

This was replaced with the "abstain" argument -- A grammatical fallacy

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/25091/1.ashx

More recently, the JW organization and it's internet apologists have experimented with the "use" argument. --An especially obtuse form of the argument from silence.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/53118/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/73658/1.ashx

• garbruce06atyahooo
    garbruce06atyahooo

Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses/ , sign in, click FILES on the left of the screen, click A Basic Bible Study Primer and you'll find a section deprogramming about blood usage. 532 others have already signed in and many of our photos are there in PHOTOS.

• Warren
    Warren

Hi TD,

Are you saying that the WTS no longer claims that taking a blood transfusion is the same as eating blood? If so, when did they change this? The Reasoning book on page 71 says that Acts 15:28,29 equates the eating of blood with idolatry and fornication. I thought JW's still understood this scripture as telling them to abstain from eating blood.

• M.J.
    M.J.

To quote ajwrb,

If a doctor said to abstain from meat, does this mean you can't have a kidney transplant?

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I'd like to start with a few clarifications to Super. First, if you are British, why the poor grammar and spelling? I know we have a few words peculiar to our own countries, but a person's education and their expectations of being taken seriously DO rely on their communication skills. Yours put your statements in some doubt. I no doubt will be flamed for this, but I'm entitled to my viewpoints just like you are. Secondly, I know people (and family) with far higher medical knowledge than you do. Thirdly, I have a degree in Psychology and have been around JW's for 35 years, many of those years serving in reasonably high positions, so I know the WT. I've read every WT and Awake back to 1940, the entire AID book, the green Insight books, every yearbook back to 1940, and I own the Studies in the Scriptures. So I would assume I have done, or can do, more research than you can about the WT's past and their changing policies, which you do not realize is more the issue here than you are aware.

You start off attacking Terry about his "anger". I know Terry, having read many of his works and analyzed his music. I was student conductor in the high school orchestra, play 30 instruments, teach piano, studied to be a concert pianist, and began writing a symphony at the age of 16. I know again I'll get flamed, but I'm trying to show you that others here have the qualifications to make the statements they make and that you are not correct just because you say you are. You sound to me to be more of a JW than you'd like to admit. "Methinks thou doest protest too much." Capice?? (It's Italian, look it up since you like to make everyone else do their own research, right?) Terry didn't show anger in his post. He has a witty and sarcastic sense of humor, but that doesn't always prove anger. And even if he did, so what? We are analyzing his argument, not his emotions. You could stand a little therapy yourself. Your sarcasm is unnecessary and makes it easier to analyze both you and your statements.

What Jehovah makes clear is up for debate, seeing that the Bible, to me, is a book of fiction. But even if I believed, I wouldn't use the NWT, which is globally viewed as biased and a poor work. I don't think Jehovah thinks anyone is dumb. I think many think YOU are dumb.

Blood might carry diseases, but if a person will die without a transfusion, then so what? You give it and then treat the disease. A few people dying of diseases in blood don't prove that the Bible forbids it. Shooting yourself in the head with a pistol is also bad for your health, but I don't see any verses forbidding it. I wouldn't make a Jew eat pork, but if the world is no longer under the Law, then he is wrong in his believing that he can't eat pork. If the Jews are right, then YOU are wrong for eating pork. See how it works?

Don't rest your case, you haven't got one. If even one child dies because he needed blood and nothing but blood, and he doesn't get it, then that's murder. If an adult wants to commit suicide for following the everchanging teachings of the WT CULT (yes, I said CULT, YOU look up the definition and you'll see that the WT is led by MEN, which makes it a CULT, whether you like it or not) and not taking blood, that is their right. I still object because they leave behind children who now need welfare and other assistance that was the parent's job. But NO ONE has the right to decide that a ten year old child should not have blood even if he dies. What if that child would NOT have wanted to be a JW when he grew up? He doesn't get the chance, now does he? Do you have a crystal ball? Then what right do you have to let that child die? That's when the courts step in, and I fully support them. Again, your defense of everything the WT does indicates to me, and others, that you like them more than you let on.

I suggest YOU look up the facts in an unbiased journal, which of course, eliminates anything the WT prints. Their academic and literary dishonesty is well known. And no, I'm not going to list all the colleges that believe that. YOU LOOK IT UP.

The WT has changed its policy on blood many times over the years, usually, as of late, loosening the rules. If God gave certain laws to mankind, and the Bible hasn't changed, then why does the WT? They either had it right before and are wrong now, or vice versa. This only weakens your case, not helps it. Can't you see that??

There are no truly happy dead people. People are afraid to die. Why do people do all they can to live? Why do they suffer physical symptoms (I'll leave this to the reader's imagination, and you probably should know if you are medically trained as you said) when facing death? Why does the family weep at funerals if the dead person is now happy to die for God? Because, just maybe, he wasn't happy. And he didn't die for God, he died for the WT's CURRENT teaching, which will change again and again. People "seem" to be happy because they think God likes what they did and they're now "safe". That's not a healthy way to view serving God.

If you denied blood to your child, and I was a judge, I'd have her taken away from you and put in custody of the court. The WT's brainwashing tactics, as all cults do, have been responsible for enough deaths, whether due to blood, Malawi, or Nazi Germany.

Blood does not always weaken the immune system. If the person will die without it, who cares? If they refuse the blood, they won't HAVE an immune system.

Again, the WT is a CULT. YES, my opinion. We allowe you yours, I demand mine. And no "proven fact" will change that. You are sounding more like a JW with each statement. Do you live at Bethel???

TD made a good point about water. The Bible is not clear on some of its terms, especially in the NWT. If Terry knows Hebrew and/or Greek and quoted the verses correctly, then he made his point.

Why can't a person store his blood before an operation? The WT has allowed just about every part of blood to be taken, but not at one time. So I can't drink a cup of it, or have a transfusion, but I can have the parts separated and take those one by one. Do you realize how stupid that rule is? Who gave the WT the right to change God's rules?? Oh, I know. They speak for God. Well, news flash. THEY DON'T. THEY NEVER DID, THEY DON'T NOW, AND THEY NEVER WILL. If you think God would use a bunch of psychopathic lunatics and liars to represent him on earth, you need YEARS of therapy. I know you will blast me for what I've written, but I think you can see by the responses here that these people are intelligent, well-informed, and don't let JW's put one past them.

You're tired of repeating yourself? Then why come back with empty arguments after all your points were demolished with true logic, not the WT brainwashing? You hint that we are attacking the WT and not the issue. In many cases, the WT IS the issue, and the WT and its teachings are so intertwined that the two must be treated together. You seem mighty defensive, I wish you would explain why?

If a dying person is happy and "feels at ease" why do many people soil themselves and/or vomit when death is imminent? You do know that, don't you, Doctor??

Leolaia made a good point about the verse in Acts. It says to "abstain from things sacrificed to idols". Yet Paul said it was okay to eat meat sacrificed to idols and later sold in the market, but to try not to stumble your brother. Who is to say that ALL of the things in this verse could be allowed as long as no one was stumbled? And if JW's would mind their own business, they wouldn't know if a "brother" or "sister" took a transfusion. Yet many times, the elders try to steal charts and read if blood was given and if the JW patient signed for it. Again, YOU look it up. I know what my family members in the hospital saw.

I see my time is up. I didn't see Super in the last page or two. I appreciate all the good points made by everyone. Super is a troll for sure, and an amateur at that. I'm sure he's a JW, and if so, a hypocrite, because he came to an apostate site. BAD, Super, Bad boy. I'm a little sorry for the sarcasm (not too much) but I've had my fill of the WT and its insanity. I wish I was 20 years old so I could live long enough to see the end of this CULT. But being in my 50's means I may not see it. That's life. Thanks again, Terry, for a wonderful topic and your brilliant arguments. I wish we could write a book some day. My best to all.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    A blood transfusion is a transplant. A liquid tissue transplant. Blood is an organ. When blood is transfused it is treated by the body as an organ transplant, not as food. The WTS approves of organ transplants. Equating a blood transfusion with eating blood is like equating a kidney transplant to eating a kidney. When a kidney is transplanted, the body doesn't consume it as food. The kidney remains in the body doing what a kidney does. Likewise, when blood is transfused. The transfused blood remains in the circulatory system doing what blood is suppose to do. It is not consumed by the body as food.

And this leads to another huge point that demolishes the Society's argument.

Eating....consuming as food...those are actions that require the death of the animal one is eating. That is why the law on blood is mentioned in Genesis 9 with respect to bloodshed. In the OT God allows one to take the life of an animal in order to have nourishment, only so long as the death is compensated by returning "the life that is in the blood" to God. If one were to eat the blood in that situation, one would selfishly destroy another living soul in order to take its "life" away and make it your own. But transfused blood is taken from living donors. No life is lost in the process, blood transfusions do not require the prior deaths of other creatures. Since there is no "bloodshed," the rationale of pouring the blood out as compensation for killing one of God's creatures is not in view.

• Terry
    Terry

As a sidebar....

We might ask what Jehovah had in mind when he designed the diet of predators to include the tracking, killing, tearing of flesh and ingesting of blood?

Plants use sunlight. If Jehovah has a "thing" about blood we could all have had cholorphyll instead of blood, could we not?

I must keep reminding you all to remind yourselves that you can step back and view scripture as a mythos; you don't have to take it as a scientific database or an historic documentary.

• Terry
    Terry
    You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from meat of strangled animals, and from fornication. Avoid these, and you will do well" (Acts 15:29).

That's what it says in the Bible. Seems pretty black and white, right?

The only time abstinance in regard to a object makes any kind of sense is when a finite act is contextually connected to it. IOW
    Abstain from junk food Abstain from alcohol Abstain from dairy products

Quite!

If the scripture was referencing "blood" as mere liquid we should have to all eschew 70% of ourselves, now, wouldn't we?

Abstaining from yourself fractionately (I might have coined a word there!) is quite a task.

This reinforces the argument that "blood" refers to the act of shedding blood through murder (or improper disposal of animals for food.)

Eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit