"My Apostate Brother"

by scout575 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Scout

I've finally had enough time to get a good look at exchristian.net today (still need to look a bit more though!). I read a few of the testimonies, including the webmaster's which began the thread you've directed us to this week. Some of it is quite eye-opening.

I do kinda wonder whether some at least, have fallen out with their respective church/brand of Christianity and 'thrown the baby out with the bathwater' so to speak. It's easy to confuse 'doing church' with faith itself - in a similar way, someone who leaves the org is considered as having left Jehovah when often that is simply not the case!

Others, as I've suggested on another of these threads seem to have personal issues with loved ones which permeate their whole attitude to the church (whether or not their particular church is cultish or not) and again, on occasion 'the baby' gets thrown out too.

But there are others who have properly researched what Christianity teaches when stripped to its bare essentials (minus church/personal baggage) and have concluded like some here that it's all a myth. That's commendable and I've no problem with it

There are some churches which are high control (whether as bad as the WTS I don't know) I'm thinking along the lines of 'if you don't speak in tongues/haven't been baptised by full immersion (that one's been levelled at me more than once lol!)/read from the AV Bible and believe it is literal/ tithe to the church...etc, etc then "you can't possibly be saved"' It's down to whether an individual church says "you've got to do it our way or else..." Fortunately, many don't.

• scout575
    scout575

Sad emo: Thanks for your balanced evaluation of ex-Christian.net. The ex-Christian reasons for leaving are similar to ex-JW reasons for leaving. Some leave for thoroughly researched academic reasons, whilst others leave because they are utterly miserable.

Both reasons justify leaving Christianity because if it really is inspired of an almighty God, has an almighty God's backing, his holy spirit flowing freely upon his worshippers etc, then none of its adherents would be plagued with doubts, or be living a life of misery. The fact that so many Christians are ( including JWs ), argues strongly against the divine authorship of Christianity. It has, 'man-made' written all over it.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Both reasons justify leaving Christianity because if it really is inspired of an almighty God, has an almighty God's backing, his holy spirit flowing freely upon his worshippers etc, then none of its adherents would be plagued with doubts, or be living a life of misery. The fact that so many Christians are ( including JWs ), argues strongly against the divine authorship of Christianity. It has, 'man-made' written all over it.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'd agree entirely with that, Scout. Jesus didn't promise his followers an easy time after all! I think again it's down to the seperation of how much misery is actually caused by the basic faith and how much is caused by the church establishment/ultra religious family/circumstances (the man-made bits).

Being plagued with doubts should encourage a believer to look further into why they believe what they do - hopefully by the critical research path, there can be three improved results here - either your faith is confirmed and strengthened or you come to the conclusion that it's a fraud or, you become comfortable with any doubts you may have until you undertake further research (I suppose some would call this compromise).

emo is currently of the 'its ok to have doubts' class.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Scout575,

I actually don't have a problem with God setting conditions, I'm for it.

I'm against men and orginasations who teach mans rules as if they were from God.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Jeh os phat,

I came here thinking it was a forum for JW's...Look at the name of this forum and you will see why I though that.

In case your still lurking I am not df'ed or da'ed I'm an inactive JW.

Also read right below the forums name all wecome !

People here base their hated towards the whole of the WTS on the actions of imperfect man. Jehovah has always used imperfect man to look after his people and his earthly organisation and has they are imperfect they make mistakes or they even do something that is not right in the eyes of Jehovah.

So we have imperfect men making mistakes in an imperfect orginasation with imperfect rules.

BUUUUTTTTTTTT, thou shall follow them perfectly.

jehosofat, try questioning the elders about 607vs.587 and the relashionship of 1914 to them, see where that gets you.

• Shining One
    Shining One

What you are doing with these posts is not what you think you are doing. What you have is another cult victim or someone who was never a believer, a 'professed Christian'. There are no victims in Christianity. In fact, you cannot even have true apostates (as we often define them) because those who are born again are not held to their belief by themselves or any church body. (Romans 8 has a lot of this as do the epistles. I recommend Charles Stanley's book, "Eternal Security" for a detailed rebuttal for any notion that salvation is not eternal.)
    They are held by the Holy Spirit and will persevere in the faith eternally. The people posting on this site were never believers to begin with, "They had a form of godly devotion but lacked it's power", "they were not of us or they would not have left".
    There are a few professed Christians here who actually do not believe what the Bible teaches. So, you have a prime example every time you want to see this demonstrated. The problem is, unless you pursue a Biblical study and make a surrender to Christ you will never have a understanding of what the Bible teaches.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit