If you had a chance, what would you have done differrently (JW experience)?

by Steve Lowry 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Ya know whatamean? If you could go back in time, back to those days as a JW and react then as you would now knowing what you now know, what would you do differently? It could be a particular day, or an event or something you went through. I could think of tons of stuff. Like when they assigned me the masturbation talk (recent post). Man, I wooda given that crap right back at em'. But being a good little do-what-I'm told-mindless-JW, I obeyed my captors. Anyone like to relive a moment? A little time machine game . . .

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I would have stood up for myself more. Your on the bottom rung of the ladder when your a single female over the age of 25.
    I remember 'sisters' that had been divorced telling me that they deserved to get married before I did because as a virgin I didn't know what I was missing out on.
    That makes me so mad just thinking about that. So damned personal and insulting. I just took it...

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Ha, too easy; I'd have remained unbaptised!

• Honesty
    Honesty

I would have researched the cult before I joined it. The internet was a dream then but the library had plenty of information on Nebuchadnezzar and the destruction of the temple in 586/587. Instead I trusted a long time friend who was involved with the jw's.

Oh yeah, I would have researched it after I joined if I had been anything but just another deceived jw who trusted the 'elder arrangement.'

I hope the lurkers who still aren't sure if the jw's are a cult that is based on lies about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, the wrath of God, redemption, regeneration and a host of other issues will carefully investigate the Watchtower by researching Christianity on the 'net and comparing it with the bible.

You just might be surprised. Especially after the many years of Watchtower articles condemning Christians.

• rekless
    rekless

Short but sweet, "Git the "F" off my porch!"

• JH
    JH
    what would you do differently?

I wouldn't have got baptized so quickly.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

First I'd have done some research. Then I'd have thrown them off my porch.

W

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

My second JW meeting there was a baptised women beating a very young child(maybe a year an half) right outside the meeting door. THe whole time everyone just sat in the meeting talking about the evils of Christmas Carols. Note:Before the women dragged her child out, she looked at him and said you disgust me. I was shaking through the rest of the meeting. It was 8:30 at night and this child was just a baby. I regret not getting up and stopping that women.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I would have continued reading about different religions from non-JW sources, discovered the Unitarian Universalists, and ditched the JW's before the age of 21. And taken my husband with me, I devoutly hope.

GentlyFeral

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

At fifteen I had the chance to leave the religion, but I felt so guilty. I caved in and came back and then went on to get baptized. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gone back, and instead would have gone to College like my teachers and Grandfather suggested .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit