Don't Like Your Avatar, Don't Like You!

by bigmouth 37 Replies latest jw friends

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Some time ago I attracted some really agressive responses that surprised me because I had no intention of offending so I had to learn a lot about how to word things on this forum, smiley faces etc so others would know I was pulling their leg, but I oftened wondered if a posters nickname or avatar puts you off instantly?? You know, first impressions.
    I would think someone like Satanus or mouthy would be intimidating but miss peaches was as nice as pie and this thinking might reflect how I would reply.
    So, do you make up a mental picture of someones personality and does it influence you when you reply?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

do you make up a mental picture of someones personality and does it influence you when you reply?

At times, yes. I think that is just human nature. First impressions, and all that. However, I think that most times, we are somewhat off-base. At least that has been my experience on this and similar boards.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

that is so astute...i wouldnt have thought i would have been guilty of that...but i am...

i shall work on it tho

• wednesday
    wednesday

What is intimidating to one person is not for another. "mouthy" to me be sounded cute, refusing to be intimidated and someone with something to say.

It can take a while to get to know a poster if we don't get to meet them. I also sometimes forget to use smiley faces etc. Also, when I was new to the board I was easily intimidated and was not used to debates etc. The wts told us what to think via their magazines. So on any given subject, we could look up an article for the appropriate view. Now their is the "party line" or proper view. We are free to share our point of view. Others are also free to disagree.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

The wts told us what to think via their magazines

I have been out for almost 30 years, and I still find this to be true. Testimony to their ability to brainwash.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I'm pleased you're going to work on that tijkmo! I'll catch up with you after the service meeting to discuss how you are getting on with your 'problem'!

" the appropriate view."

Wednesday, you are right. As the householder opened the door you had to size them up quick smart into a category of some sort and then tailor your presentation to them. Goats!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Big Mouth that is one of my fears. That I might say something that could be misread entirely and I'd end up offending someone. In fact sometimes I have done that and thanx to PMs been able to ammend the situation.
    I've also found that people don't understand the aussie & New Zealand senses of humour either. I guess it goes both ways.
    If I didn't have those smiley's to rely on who knows what chaos might ensue!
    On to your question though....
    I don't judge people by their avatar's usually. If I do its incredibly rare. I really enjoy reading what others have to say. I like to try and digest it and understand their point. But I have a passion for reading anything! Even if it is the back of the milk carton... LOL
    P.S. as nice as Peach Pie?? :o)

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

God Dang it Dale! People don't judge you on your avatar, they judge you on one simple life fact. Charcoal or propane.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Charcoal everytime. Propane is for flabby redneck wusses who can't cook meat on a real fire!

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

LOL!

But Charcoal accessories just aren't good sellers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit