Garrison Keller, a national treasure ...Anyone else think so?

by confusedjw 15 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I just love that show. Although not so much for the music, but for GK's story telling.

Any other fans?

<Tonight it was a repeat>

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Didn't he end his show a couple month's back?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Prarie Home Companion. They did some really great skits. Funny stuff!

But then I'm an NPR junkie anyways. I wouldn't miss "Car Talk" for anything!

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Yes, I absolutely agree - but also widely appreciated outside the US.

I have read and re-read all of his books many times and always find something new to laugh at. I have a 5 cd set of his monologues but unfortunately left it in storgage in the UK by mistake.

I particularly enjoy his stories/comments on 'the brethren' meetings, having been brought up as one myself.

In my one and only visit to the US I visited his country cabin in WI, but unfortunately he wasn't at home. And I'm sure I visited some small towns that really were LW.

• poppers
    poppers

I love Keillor too, although I don't listen that much to PHC much anymore. The best part of the show is when he talks about what happened this week in Lake Wobegone. One of my favorite stories was the one about rhubarb pie. What are yours?

• serendipity
    serendipity

What's his appeal? I've heard about him but never listened or read his books.

• anewme
    anewme

Listening to the Prairie Home Companion on Saturday evenings with my JW husband was the highlight of the week for us. He was usually in his office on the new fangled computer (trying to figure out dos to fix it all the time) as I was doing dinner dishes.
    We absolutely loved it. We were early recorders of it. How far back does it go? I seem to recall listening to it waaaaaay back. Does it go back to the late 80's or early 90's?

He helped me appreciate the people who live in small towns with their peculiarities and social/moral restrictions where church and community pressure play a much bigger role than they do in the bigger towns.

I remember one story about a married couple who travel a long distance out of town to celebrate their anniversary and all the trouble they get into.

And the commercials for old timey products.

And the local women who get together regularly around a certain selected theme for the food and decor.
    One time it would be Hawaii, another time South America. They couldnt get out to travel due to finances and the fact their husbands insisted they help with the crops or canning the summer fruits (very hot work)
    I like the stories how they resigned themselves to their small town lives and marriages, but kept their spirits alive with their get togethers and dreams.

• blondie
    blondie

We listen almost every week...with our Midwestern background we identify. I love Guy Noir, private eye.

When we are other places in the US, it helps ground us.

Blondie

Love Whadyaknow with Michael Feldman too.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love the show...have been listening to it for years (close to 20 now I think). Freaked a few boyfriends out, they thought it meant I wasn't black enough...whatever that means.

Even my hubby likes it now. Great to listen to on a nice Saturday evening or Sunday morn. Did anyone catch the PBS 4th of July special? That was a treat. I think the next time the show comes to town I'm going.

Josie

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes,

I've read several of his books and I love Guy Noir! Here's a link to listen to shows from the archives.........

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/20031129/scripts/guy_noir.shtml

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

For me, the funniest stories are 'Homecoming' from 'Leaving Home' (the one about about the tractor and trailer carrying the 'family heritage) and the one about the pontoon boat and the visiting Methodist ministers.

I could especially relate to the chapter 'Protestant' in 'Lake Wobegon Days'.

And I continue to love 'WLT - A Radio Romance'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit