Question About Eyeglasses

by Big Tex 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

My wife just spent $900 on 4 pair of eyeglasses.

Is it just me, or is that waaaaaay too much money? I don't wear glasses anymore (laser surgery), but isn't this too much?

How much do glasses cost now?

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

It depends. Are they special lenses? What are they used for? I bought 2 pairs fo glasses, a prio(sp?) pair for the computer and reading and a pair that are prescription sunglasses for driving. That was over 3 years ago and they cost me about $300.00.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

that depends on the frames, which can run over $200 before you even consider the price of the lens, in which depending on whether or not she wears bifocals (progressive lens without the obvious line in the lens cost more than the traditional ones you used to only see) and then there is scratchguard and the tint (if the lens are plastic)or photogray lens. Basically all that crap adds up; you can spend $900 on one pair actually depending on where you shop.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Well 2 lenses are for my wife. One is for reading (featherwates $350) and one is prescription sunglasses ($360). The other two are for my kids ($205 & $140).

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't really know prices in the US but that sounds about right in the UK if not cheap. Plastic lens (lighter and more comfortable though far more scratchable) are dearer than glass ones especially if photochromic (reactolites) and if of high refractive index which makes them even thinner and therefore even lighter. As for frames there are numerous brands but titanium ones are dearer.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

That is a good price. For two pair of glasses I paid $666.00 dollars. If that wasn't scary enough.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

For four pairs that does not sound excessive expensive.

it depends a bit on how special the glasses are.

We pay something between 150 and 500 $ per pair here. But I guess in Texas everything is a bit cheaper.

Danny

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

It's the lenses that are expensive. Jennie has astigmatism, and as for OLD me: my computer glasses are bifocals and the prescription sunglasses are trifocals. So yeah, they're complicated. Old age sucks.

Nina (still shaking with sticker shock)

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

$900.00 for 4 pairs????

I am sorry but that is cheap in my book. Really cheap!

Brooke

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

Doesn't sound bad to me. I usually end up spending about $600.00 before insurance deductions for my glasses. You have the frames, the lenses, scratch proofing, glare proofing. It kind of like buying a car. Oh, you wanted all 4 tires that will cost you extra.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit