Would YOU kill someone if you felt they really deserved to die?

by gaiagirl 53 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I don't think anyone should be killed in revenge for something they've done. There's too much going on inside a person's brain that we can't understand to call ourselves justified in ending their life.

"Eye for an eye" might've seemed like wisdom to the god-fearing shepherds of yesteryear, but I can't buy it.

On the other hand, if a person is a threat, then that threat has to be dealt with. If there's no reason to believe a person won't kill again, locking him away where he can't hurt anyone makes sense to me. Yes, it curtails his life, but there's a practicality that comes into play.

On the third hand, if a person is an immediate threat, then all bets are off. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use deadly force to prevent one person from harming another. Steal all the cars they want, vandalize to their heart's content -- they'll lose no blood at my hand. But threaten another person's life or limb and I'd have zero compunctions about stopping them, even at the expense of their life.

I've never killed anyone, so I have no idea how I'd feel afterward. But I'm pretty sure I'd do it.

Dave

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Just,

No right and wrong? ......Oh, California...that explains it.
    That is the biggest load of horse crap I have heard in a long time. Southern California right?

OMG, You sound like a sterio typing biggot.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Robyn,

If sunlight is real, colors are real. White light is the illusion. Bend the white light and you see the colors. As long as you are not color blind, the color red you see should be very similar to what I see. Here's you some more info:

All colors are an illusion of the mind just the same as white light is, the color red is just a mind illusion for light that is between a certain frequency. What you experience as red in your mind is not really some universal red but is a mind interpetation.

It is the same way with what appear to you as a solid, to your senses,, lets use a bar of gold as an example:

We know from molecular science that atoms are mostly empty space, and yet it appears solid,, so clearly the solid nature we attribute to the bar of gold is not its true nature for if we could see the empty space equally as well or better than we see the solid parts,, then the illusion we create in our mind when viewing that bar of gold would be vastly different. Not to mention that we only see a very small bandwith of light, and so if our eyes and mind were able to see and interpet the whole spectrum of light not just a very small bandwith the gold bar would not look the same, but vastly different. I think that is about as simple as an explaination as I can give. Simply put things are not what they appear to be.

Good and bad are an illusion? Have you been watching "Natural Born Killers"? The lead character and killer, Mickey Knox, would agree with you, I'm sure. You seem very young and innocent to me. I admire that. Let's talk again after you've lived a little longer.Robyn

You have a very condicending, tone here. Could it be that you are the one that needs to grow up a little bit more and realize the illusions of sight and touch.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Frankie, if you want to believe that the light your eyes see is an illusion, you are free to believe it. Delude yourself all you want. By the way, that traffic in the street is an illusion too. Why don't you go play in it? Any amount of caring that I had towards your opinion went out the door with this:

You have a very condicending, tone here. Could it be that you are the one that needs to grow up a little bit more and realize the illusions of sight and touch.

If you want to interpret my previous comments to you as condescending, you are free to do so too. That is your illusion, not mine.

However, this time my post is meant to be condescending towards you and I don't mind sharing that reality with you. Enjoy it.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

If I were being personally attacked, in defense of my own or a loved one's life, yes. Otherwise, I feel it best left to the authorities to handle.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    I don't think anyone should be killed in revenge for something they've done.

I agree. However revenge and JUSTICE are two separate things. Commit murder rape and mayhem, and get stretched in my book.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    OMG, You sound like a sterio typing biggot.

Hey pal, as they say, "if the shoe fits." And in your case it's a perfect fit.

BTW, I'm just curious....are you a fan of the late Mao Tse-Tung?

And the word is spelled STEREO, not STERIO. LOL.

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    All colors are an illusion of the mind just the same as white light is, the color red is just a mind illusion for light that is between a certain frequency. What you experience as red in your mind is not really some universal red but is a mind interpetation.

Southern or Northern I don't know. But wherever you are from you really should cut back on that medical marijuana.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

That question is sooo loaded. Based on the precise circumstances involved each case would be different in my opinion.

Political, emotional, religious, spiritual, physical, mental factors all play in.

I really see 'capital punishment' for the most part as empty revenge for society. On the other hand, what it the point of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars keep killers for life behind bars. Yet, how can any sort of 'rehab' assure that it won't repeat? Conundrum in an enigma I fear. The issue of 'serial killers' and merciless killings of children and old people makes we want to recant the first statement at times.

Self defense is another matter. I would not like to kill someone, but if they were threatening to another I might. If I didn't freeze.

Mass murderers - Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Hussien, is another matter completely. Those bastards [whether mentally ill or whatever] just need to be gone. Call it revenge, or more like just cleaning up the world. Of course one's definition of who is in that catagory all depends on the person's perception I suppose. For many people following WWII for example it might be Truman, or it might be Hirohito.

Holding life in one's hand [even in hypothetical] get's very confused and tricky.

Mostly I say live and let live when we can.

Jeff

• Gregor
    Gregor

I think Frankie is waaay past marijuana. I think we're talking a frog licker here.

(Robdar, I realize that calling Frankie a frog licker is a form of name calling. So, that's strike one.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit