Meeting your online love

by Cabin in the woods 23 Replies latest social relationships

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I think there is certainly a higher level of risk meeting someone off the net. However I also know of several happy marriages where people did meet off the net.
    I'd love to hear of a story between any JWD posters who met here and found happiness together. I think there are a lot of positives from many areas that can come out of this site...
    Cabin In The Woods, you can be my surrogate online mum... XX

• Sirona
    Sirona

I did that a few years ago. DONT DO IT!

Sirona

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ok Yes I met someone online

It wasn't a dating service. it was friends across Canada and we were both there helping people learn to use the internet.

One day we had someone who was so lost and confused. We both were getting rather frustrated trying to explain things and we both went on ICQ to talk to each other about how frustrated we were.

And we kept on ising ICQ to keep talking. He wanted to meet me but I was rather nervous about him coming to meet me (I was in Montreal and he was in Winnipeg). He got his friends on the phone and ICQ to vouch for me. They said they had been trying for years to match him up but he was a really shy guy but so nice they even had him babysit their kids from time to time. He even dressed up like Santa one year for them.

So I let him come to meet me and we hit it off really really well. So great that I decided to move to Winnipeg. I had wanted out of Quevec for many years. Well long story short after a year he asked me to marry him and after one more years I did.

He was a really nice guy who was terribly shy around women but had a huge heart.

Things were great until we married and I started to have health problems. Then he turned into a raging maniac. He swore at everything that didn't go right. I got to the point where his constant rage was really affecting my heath for the worse. He turned from a nice teddy bear guy iinto someone I barely recognized. I left Oct 16 2004

• ballistic
    ballistic

Lady Lee, I don't think that people showing true colours or changing for the worse is something perculiar to online dating, just a fact of life for some people.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Lee I often wondered why you left him!!!! Thanks for sharing that. How any one could be harsh with you beats me. You were always the sweet little gal.. I used to see you doing the sign language & think "some brother will be lucky( opps) to get her, "You were so shy!!!!
    Your not to old to find a kind fellow if you want one.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ballistic

Lady Lee, I don't think that people showing true colours or changing for the worse is something perculiar to online dating, just a fact of life for some people.

No it isn't just online you get that sort of thing. And his friends only saw him at his best. They never saw what he was like the rest of the time or when life got too much for him. Grace

Lee I often wondered why you left him!!!! Thanks for sharing that. How any one could be harsh with you beats me. You were always the sweet little gal.. I used to see you doing the sign language; think "some brother will be lucky( opps) to get her, "You were so shy!!!!

Your not to old to find a kind fellow if you want one

Well Gace I'm not that shy young woman anymore. Back then I put up with so much abuse and crap from others. I won't ever live like that again. As for meeting someone. Well for now I am quite happily enjoying my freedom. I think it will be a long long while before I begin to consider another relationship. I won't say never because who knows what can or will happen

• mouthy
    mouthy

I just hope he will be a good one...

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

The one time i can remember arranging a lunch date with a guy I'd been chatting with; I show up and he looks nothing like his photo, and when he sees me his reaction was, well I can't even work it out now. It was lunchtime and we'd arranged to meet for lunch and he seemed like he wanted to leave, but I made him stick to the deal. I was sweet, kind, cute and cheerful, and we finished our meals and never spoke again. I was so embarrassed I couldn't go online again for months.

• snarf
    snarf

I met my fiance online. I did criminal background checks on him, reverse phone number checks, just to get a better idea of where he lived for more in depth background checks, and I also chatted with his family and friends several times. He was in Iraq at the time so it was really easy for me to have time to research him. I met his whole family before I met him, and when it did come time for us to meet, I asked his mom and little sister to go with me. His little sister and I were instant friends , we talked online for 4 months and also hung out about 10 times, so I felt really comfy with them. It really took all the pressure off us, cause with family around nothing but talking is gonna happen and I figured if we didn't hit it off I could hang out with his sister and still have a fun mini vacation. I also made sure my family that lived in that area knew I was going there so I could meet up with them (they live 13 hours away), so I got to see my little sister and nephew as well. Thankfully we hit it off and he was who he said he was. I believe honesty is the key to online dating, as well as research. You can learn alot about a person by asking the right questions, and if you have a brief history of where someone lived you can do background checks for free by using the local court sites. Make sure you do your homework, and never ever meet alone for the first time, at least. Always have a friend or family member with you. If they like you, then they will understand.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi sass,

That lunch sounds uncomfortable. He's the one with a problem, so it's sad that you felt too embarrassed to go online. (This may cause me to post a separate topic about superficial people, who think others' value and worth is in their appearance. Maybe.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit