What Are "Unfair" Things JWs Made You Do?

by minimus 39 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I was thinking how UNNATURAL it is for most people to knock on stranger's doors and tell them that if they don't respond to what they were trying to get across, that they were going to be killed by God. .....Then there's the obligation to join the Theocratic Ministry School and go on a platform and give talks---even if you had a phobia! .....Or you're made to feel that you MUST answer at the meetings even if you're extremely shy.....Are there other things that you can think of that made you totally uncomfortable?

• KW13
    KW13

Well i was put in a position where if i had a serious accident, i wouldnt be allowed blood.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Well, I was publicily disfellowshipped and then spent 3 years allowing people to shun me while I tried my hardest to get reinstated. I had to meet with elders 12 separate times and beg them to reinstate me while they in turn reminded me what a sinner I was. That was a tad uncomfortable.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Eshew a good education

Shun dffed family

Distance from nonjw relatives

Refuse friendships w nonjws

Not save money

• minimus
    minimus

Begging to be let back in is sooooooooooo humiliating!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I don't think doing those things (like going door-to-door and giving talks) are "unnatural," just the fact that it is a little cultish, well, IS cultish behaviour. Not because of merely going door-to-door, but the message is what makes it cultish. I don't think there should be any shame in going door-to-door for anything if what you are doing is important - it's the message that we had to preach that was insane, and the fact that we were all obligated.

• minimus
    minimus

I disagree. knocking on stranger's doors is most unnatural.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Sit in the bathrooms if my babies made ANY noises. Infant and a 2 year old. And meetings were mandatory, so therefore, bathroom sitting was mandatory. Getting them dressed no matter the weather just to listen to all the women/kids piss and $hit for 2 hours. Our salvation depended on this.

DC's mandatory. Who are they to tell me I'm wrong for not taking off of work (while living paycheck to paycheck down to the penny) and not going.

Have a bible study in between nursing my newborn son. "Harmageddon could come and you won't be saved. Your kids will be gone and have no hope!"

• minimus
    minimus

Making your kids sit PERFECTLY still is truly unfair! Women forced to freeze in service in arctic weather is nuts. Making a man wear a suit and tie while giving a public talk in 95 degree weather if ac is broken is cruel and unusual punishment.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"knocking on stranger's doors is most unnatural."

is it OK for girl scouts selling cookies? Newspaper boys? Local politicians wanting to get to know their constituency? I'm sorry, but I don't think going door-to-door is at all unnatural. You must live in rural Wyoming or something. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit