Help! My "devout" JW's mom is "pioneering" at age 76 on a cane.

by booker-t 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• booker-t
    booker-t

Posters I have tried "everything" to show my mom that the WTS is full of beans but she just won't budge. I have heard through some non-JW's relatives that my mom who is 76 years old and having alot of problems with her knee is pioneering. I am so worried about her standing in front of the donut shop or supermarket at 6:00 am. It is very dangerous for a man nowadays to be out on the streets so early let alone an elderly woman using a cane. She has a folding chair she carries with her and sits down when her leg starts to hurt. I think the WTS is "abusing" the elderly JW's into going in field service and placing a "guilt" trip on them. What can I say to her that will make her see she is being "abused"? I her eyes I am an "apostate" so the elders have already "warned" her not to "speak" to me. But she still "sneak" talk to me on occasions but does not talk about "spiritual things". I just worry my mom might get "robbed" or attacked out in field service so early. Should I just keep my mouth shut or insist on helping her. She runs to the elders about everything she does.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Would she still pioneer if her cane went missing?

• SuzieQ
    SuzieQ

I hope your mom is with others at 6am on the street holding up the magazines. I can't imagine my mother, who is 68, getting up that early let alone handing out magazines. You can worry, but she is an adult- in her right mind- i suppose? I would let my worries be known to the elders in her hall by writing a tactful letter about your specific concerns as to her activities for the religion. Hope it turns out o.k. SuzieQ

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Brooker-t, you should be worried!

I’ve seen older JW’s increase their hours, only to fall over dead from a heart attack shortly after! So much for “increased activity!” And do the bustards in Brooklyn care about this? HELL NO! So yes, I’d be very worried! I’m not sure how much you can do to help your mom, but perhaps you can her see that the center piece of “love” is totally missing from this group that claims that are the only Christians on earth. I wish you the best!

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I'd say to be careful you aren't perceived as opposing her in her religion. If other JWs get wind of your opposition that could mean they'd pressure her to cut you off. Instead, try to suggest things you can do together. Will she go out to eat breakfast with you? Or go shopping? Or go for a drive? Does she like music? Or a good movie or play? Distract her with things you can do together. That will lessen the amount of time she can devote to pioneering and also build up your relationship. Are there grandkids also? Perhaps they can help in the distraction. Just an idea...

• freetosee
    freetosee

What about suggesting telephone witnessing or letter writing? Tell her to follow Jesus directions to go out in twos and not alone (there are WT articles dealing with safety in service). Older sister down here take clap-chairs to sit in and hold up the WT, tell her a German brother told you this is working very well.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Well, booker-t, you could always go out there in your Sunday best and join her! ROFL!! jk....

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

If she's like these pioneers there not much to worry about, aside from getting in a gang brawl I suppose

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

My grandmother pioneered for over 40 years until her late 80s. After an illness, she went on the disabled list, but still got high hours until around 91. She walked from her home to the Hall - and this is in a major urban area where drug dealers hang-out on the corners only a block from her home. While she got rides on meeting nights, the congregation let her walk to the Hall - something my family didn't know she was still doing after we left that congregation. The only reason she isn't out now is because of another major illness and failing memory. But my folks still had to go over for a while and stop her from going out after she got sick this last time.

Letting the elders know of you concerns sounds like a good idea, especially if you ask them to encourage her in alternate forms of service. I like the disappearing cane trick even better - though it could possibly hamper her getting around at home. And if she's that determined to go out, she'll likely find a way around that. You may be able to only slightly diminish the risks to her if she insists on going and she enjoys doing it; hopefully she's not being pressured, though she's likely being "encouraged" by commendation from other publishers.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

It gets really frustrating with our elderly parents, when it reaches the point they shouldn't be doing some of these Witlessing activities, but won't slow down. Now, here we are with summer conventions, and they feel obligated to faithfully attend. Here go mine, driving into a big city every day, in heavy traffic, when Dad's driving is getting scary What a worry! He recently passed out just after arriving at the Kinkdumb Hall. If that had happened a few minutes sooner, I have no doubt both he and Mom would be dead. But, hey, they won't hear a word of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit