My personal experiences. How long can I keep up this facade?

by alienagent 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

welcome alienagent! I can totally relate to not wanting to be the cause of additional stress in a parent's life. Don't want to give them a coronary, either! LOL. which is why I have let them push me around all this time, too. I'm not in the exact situation as you are, but I would think, if your mom is ok with living with her disfellowshipped daughter, which probably was a lot for her to handle when it happened, she might be able to deal with you leaving the religion, too. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard for her if she thinks what took you away was the girlfriend, instead of having doubts. Doubts scare and threaten them. They are always fighting doubts and don't like them rubbed in their faces, although they quite deserve it.

This is the life your mom chose, so she should have to deal with the consequences of her choice. She knew when she made that choice, her children might not follow, so she made the decision to make that choice anyway. Let her be who she is, and don't worry about her, she made her own bed. If she can't let you be who you are, that's her problem.

If I was in your situation, I would offer to help her financially, if you can, after you leave her home, regardless of your standing in the congregation. If she doesn't want your help, so be it.

And here I am with all this advice I can't bring myself to follow! LOL.

Good luck!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi alienagent, and welcome to the board.

I am in agreement with what many others have said - you need to get a place of your own. It really is time to take your life back and do the things that are making you happy. Doing so will obvoiusly make your mum unhappy, but she cannot live your life for you, only you can do that. The elders have, as they say, no use for you, so why should you worry about what they think? If they knew of your dating a non jw, they could df you, but you don't want their religion anyway, so you wouldn't be losing much.

Whatever you do, I wish you all happiness - you deserve it.

Linda

• Khufu
    Khufu

Hi Alienagent!

Welcome! I'm myself a very recent member. (My own story is on http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/115231/1.ashx) I Hope you'll enjoy the support here.

You already know what you should do: Take back your life! There's no need to hate the WTS, or reject God and family, just don't let legalism govern your life and depress you anymore.

You have a choice in front of you:

• an organization that just cares about how you measure up to its legalist standards
    • a girlfriend who loves you for who you are, and may be willing to give you what you could only dream about so far

I just wish you to keep a good relationship with your mother and sisters.

Lots, lots, lots of happiness to you!

Philip

• Confession
    Confession

I thought this bit was particularly odd...

Oh, I forgot to mention that my youngest sis (who I love very much and help her when I can) is pregnant and her 'worldly' boyfriend is allowed in the house to come and go as he pleases! My mother has no problem with that. If I brought my girlfriend to the house, my mom would hit the roof!

Interesting double standard.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I knew a witness with similar situation with disfellowshipped siblings, the pressure is more intense upon the one not yet disfellowshipped, because the parent lets on they couldn't bear to have all of the kids leave, so the pressure is on the one still in. It is a double standard, but they will be more pissed at the last one who leaves than they were the others. It makes them feel like a complete failure as a parent.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    the pressure is more intense upon the one not yet disfellowshipped, because the parent lets on they couldn't bear to have all of the kids leave, so the pressure is on the one still in. It is a double standard, but they will be more pissed at the last one who leaves than they were the others. .

Been there and its beyond true. The word alone is the dividing line for a lot of JW's...I have family where one person is disfellowshipped and another has just 'fallen away' but never been formally renounced. The df'd one is treated like rotting garbage whereas the disassociated one is treated like an honoured family member - and this is despite of the df'd one living a morally clean life but the da'd one being married a number of times and engaging in other 'wordly' activities. Go figure.

Get your own place. Live your life. Be happy. Just warn your girlfriend if the relationship goes any further that she may not be accepted by the family - be really honest as well in explaining to her how loving the Society is toward 'wordly' people.

sammieswife

• alienagent
    alienagent

Wow. Thanks for all the responses and the support! I think so many of us feel so alone at first, especially if a specific religion has been what we think is a life-support system. I have certainly learned some valuable moral lessons from JW's, but maintaining the rigid lifestyle and the being under what feels like a dictatorship just doesn't work for me. When I finally pull the plug, I am sure my heart will still keep on beating ...

Do any of you remember a 60's British television series called "The Prisoner"? I have been a huge fan and own all the episodes on DVD. If you are familiar with it, you will see that one man is trying to escape an island villiage of people ruled by a society (under a dictator called No 2). The people are programmed to follow every rule through mind-controlling propoganda - i.e. "a still tongue makes a happy life". If anyone attempts to escape, a remote controlled balloon comes out of the water and either suffocates or renders the victim unconcious where he is sent to the hospital and re-programmed to obey.

Sound familiar?

Khufu - I read your story and it was very interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

alienagent

• done4good
    done4good

Alienagent,

You are about my age, and I know firsthand what you are experiencing. I "pulled the plug" around January or so, and have been healing since. I too, was married for 10 years to a sister who was basically a fraud. I tried extremely hard to keep that awful marriage together, as I thought I was doing things Jehovah's way. She could care less, (about our marriage), but has no problem putting up the self-righteous bullshit in the congo. I could no longer live with the dissonance. I got out. I am now dating a wonderful woman I met at work, we have been going out for about 8 months. I have NEVER been happier in my life. I am indeed having issues with my witness family, and yes, I would much rather not trouble them, if I had a choice.

The matter is this, I cannot let others decide what is best for me, that is a VERY important lesson to learn in life. Perhaps, what brings the greatest happiness is, knowing that I am making my own decisions, no longer feeling the need for approval by an organization, or those in that organization.

I wish you all the best!!!

Jason

• Khufu
    Khufu

Thanks alienagent, you're welcome.

I'm sure you saw the last episode of that series. Numbers 1 though 12 will eventually turn out to be monkey-like aliens, and will escape from Brooklyn to the deep space. Their attempt to seize control of the earth has failed.

They could not get an accptable reply to this most intriging question: WHY DID YOU RESIGN????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit