My personal experiences. How long can I keep up this facade?

by alienagent 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• alienagent
    alienagent

I am a 34 your old man who has been raised a JW. I am baptised and have been inactive for some time now. I live with my mother (a devout JW) and my youngest sister who is DF'd. My father left the truth long ago and my parents will be getting divorced soon. I watched my marriage of ten years fall apart and my wife and I separated two years ago and are now divorced. The only reason why I live with my mother and sister is to be of some financial support to them. Thank goodness I went to college! I now have a very good career and can actually live above poverty level. My wife was very abusive, both verbally and physically. I felt like I had grounds for separation, but I received no support. Her "elder" father even supported her when she punched me, telling me that "I got what I deserved...". I was admitted to a hospital after a suicide attempt and spent about a week there wondering what the heck was wrong with me - I had no self-esteem left. Once we got divorced, I switched records and began attending my mother's congregation. Naturally, the elders wanted to talk to me about my position as a divorced Christian and what that would mean for me. I was told that I would not have any privleges or be able to join the ministry school because I had no spiritual grounds to divorce. (My wife should have been at least reproved for her actions, and I should have been free to divorce her.) The elders said "We have no use for you here..." and those words did not bother me or make me bitter. I knew that I would most likely not be active anymore anyway. There are so many JW who are desparetly trying to maintain all of the demands required to be acceptable - follow every rule outlined by the WTS. Many are stressed beyond limits. My mother is a nervous wreck with many health problems brought on by stress, depression and lack of sleep. I did attend one day of the DC last week. My mother always insists on driving, and she is so worried about breaking the speed limits that we almost have an accident every time. In her eyes every rule must be followed to the "t", and as a result, she is jumpy, stressed and judgmental of others, including me. What a miserable existence. My job requies that I work evenings, so I miss most of the meetings and barely make Sunday. I met a 'worldly' woman at work and we have been going out for about 4 months now. We have taken things rather slow and we have not done anything that would be considered immoral. I have been keeping this secret from my mother and oldest sister (who is married and husband is an elder) and from the congregation. Within the org. I am not free to marry, and so if anyone found out I was dating, I don't know what would happen. (I don't want to give my mom a heart attack either. You have to 'ease' any shocking news on her ...) I have alot of friends and for the first time in years I have been happy. My depression has disappeared and I can actually look people in the eye and speak with confidence. I feel like some teenager living here, hiding behind this facade. I feel like decisions have been made for me and mere men within an organized religion have dictated to me every move I should make. Now I am breaking out of this shell. I by NO means hate the org. There are some wonderful bros. and sis. there, and yet there are some that are just as bad or worse than 'worldly' people. Oh, I forgot to mention that my youngest sis (who I love very much and help her when I can) is pregnant and her 'worldly' boyfriend is allowed in the house to come and go as he pleases! My mother has no problem with that. If I brought my girlfriend to the house, my mom would hit the roof!

At this point I think I should probably move out of the house and find an apartment closer to my job. Is anyone else going through a similar dilimma? How are you handling it?

Thanks for reading!

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI alienagent, and welcome!

Tough situation you have there. If you can afford it, you should get a place of your own. If the relationship continues, your gf will want to meet your mom. You might test the waters with your Mom to see what she thinks about your dilemma of not being able to date and marry, not to get her permission, but to prime her for the news.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Welcome to the board. I agree that you should get your own place. As much as you might love your mother, don't let your worry for her get in the way of what you need. You'll be in a much better position to be of support to your family if you yourself are strong and happy. And, in the long run, you are not responsible for your mother's happiness. We are each responsible for our own.

Wishing you the best,

Cellist

• mustang
    mustang

Welcome to the board.

The elders said "We have no use for you here..." and those words did not bother me or make me bitter.

I'm pretty cynical about them these days: I would have replied "the feeling is mutual". This is known as a "blessing in disguise".

Many are stressed beyond limits. My mother is a nervous wreck with many health problems brought on by stress, depression and lack of sleep.

Yes, life is tough enough without these self-appointed "cops of the soul" (moral guardians); the trouble is that they are without any authority or real basis.

My job requires that I work evenings, so I miss most of the meetings and barely make Sunday.

This is another "blessing in disguise". I went on night shift and took ad-vantage of that when I started my "fade".

Again, welcome to the board. You are doing things that are putting you on the road to healing. The impediment you face is still having to interface with those misguided merchants of mental cruelty through your family. Best wishes.

Mustang

• parakeet
    parakeet

alienagent:
    ***Within the org. I am not free to marry, and so if anyone found out I was dating, I don't know what would happen.***
    JWs are willing to "wait on Jehovah" in the case of child molesters, but in the much more "serious" matter of an unattached man dating an unattached woman, they will instantly crank up their moralistic judge/jury/executioner process.

***I feel like decisions have been made for me and mere men within an organized religion have dictated to me every move I should make. Now I am breaking out of this shell.***
    You've all but made the decision to move out, and others on the board have advised the same. When I left the JWs many years ago, I visited my parents and told them my decision. They weren't surprised, as my meeting attendance, like yours, had pretty much bottomed out, but my mom went into hysterics, sobbing and yelling. To this day, I still consider it the most difficult thing I've ever had to do, and although I regret causing them pain, I had to do it or the JW religion would have completely smothered me--I'm not sure if I would have survived (I mean this literally). The point is, if you decide to move away and leave the JWs, you'll have to tell your family about your decisions and let the chips fall where they may. It won't be pleasant, but it will be worth it. Best of luck to you.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Sounds like it's time to take your life back. The "Society" spent so much time sucking your (our) spine out that you feel at the mercy of what everyone else thinks about you. I can save you a whole lot of indecision...... Get out... do your thing... and own your shit. The people around you will either respect you or they will talk trash about you. If your afraid of them talking trash about you , you are enslaving yourself (again).

Remember.... this is the only life you know FOR SURE you have.

-FW

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Don't take this wrong, I can see how it's happened, but you're a 34 year old grown man still worried about pleasing others, who frankly don't deserve your loyalty. Get your own place, stop hiding who you are, stop going to the meetings if that's what you want, and force them to accept it, same as they forced you to accept their way of life. If they don't, that's their problem. The happiness of an entire life is way more important than the tiny bit of happiness they get knowing you're following their God's way. The world is full of people with all different levels of morality and beliefs, haven't you been trapped in one fraction, one bubble of that for long enough? There comes a time you have to stop respecting what your parents want from you if it's not what you want, and I think one third of the way through your life means it's definitley time for a change.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome alienagent, I think you have found your way, the JWs are obviously a very toxic lot to your existence and as you move out of them and become a normal part of the human world you find your well being is coming back.

Your mother like so many other JWs does not seem to have found the much promised spiritual paradise in the WTS.

• rebel8
  • Balsam
    Balsam

You 34 years old and divorced. Forget living with your Mom help her from a distance, get your own place. Have sex with your new friend if she is willing to persue that avenue. Get free you deserve it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit