Church Fathers Purposely Lied about Jesus

by gumby 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mouthy
    mouthy

L.T & Gumby Stop your fighting .....Gumby you could really put L.T out of service doing that. & L.T. keep up your protection, he is very naughty

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Do you actually think by the 4th century that Eusebius was the only one who knew about his little scheme?

What little scheme? We don't know when the paragraph got inserted into Josephus.

All the church fathers KNEW that paragraph wasn't their in the original writings of Josephus yet they too built upon it after it was lyingly put there.

You don't know that they KNEW that it wasn't in there. We know that they probably DID NOT KNOW that it was in there. The two are not the same thing. I don't think it is a valid inference to say that "all the fathers" had knowledge about the legitimacy or illegitimacy of the passage....some did not know it at all, others (later) knew the passage but didn't know that earlier writers or earlier copies of Josephus would have not known it.

• tmo1965
    tmo1965
    Josephus also didn't write about Herod killing every single baby under the age of two either....something I'm sure would have made the 'Palestinian Herald Sunday News' and something Josephus would have surely written about since he spent many years in Galilee and even in Cana where Jesus first miracle was supposed to have taken place. He wrote zip about Jesus....a man who supposedly turned Rome upside down.

Gumby,

The Bible does not say that every baby under the age of 2 was killed. It says that Herod ordered the boys killed. I don't think his orders were carried out, and here's why.

According to Josephus, when Herod was nearing death, he ordered that all the principal Jewish men come to him under the threat of death for disobeying. His intent was to have them all killed immediately after he died so that there would be true mourning upon his death. When Herod died, the Jewish men were let go. So Herod's orders were not carried out. The is section of Josephus' work also mention that some wisemen came to Herod to tell him that he was suffering a horrible death because of his impeity (he was a very evil man). I believe that these wisemen were the magi who also visited the baby Jesus around the same time.

It was said by those who pretended to divine, and who were endued with wisdom to foretell such things, that God inflicted this punishment on the king on account of his great impiety; yet was he still in hopes of recovering, though his afflictions seemed greater than any one could bear. (Antiquities of the Jews - Book XVII, Chapter 6, paragraph 5)

Read the account in Matthew 2:1 - 23, then read Josepheus' account of Herod's death. The 2 tell a similar, although not exactly identical, story.

http://reluctant-messenger.com/josephusA17.htm (Chapter 6)

Very interesting stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit