Church Fathers Purposely Lied about Jesus

by gumby 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gumby:Methinks you're being disingenious to poor ole Eusebius. He was working with what he had. To call him names centuries later is a little low. You don't even know the dude!

You seem to have a strange and very much JW-centric view of what the bible is about. It seems to me that you're applying modern rules to it that completely miss the point. Why do YOU think it was written / compiled?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    He is one person christians use as a solid basis for proof of Jesus earthly existence.

No they don't. I can accept the qualification of "some christians" .

Why the accusation of "church fathers" - could have been a lone rogue monk

• mouthy
    mouthy

I could accept a qualification of "some christians" but that's about it.

Sorry you dont agree & that is fine BUT you CANT be a Christian if you DONT accept Jesus

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Eusebius's job was to kiss constantines arse and work for political/religious control.

As Josephus' job was to kiss Vespasian's and his successors', and make the best of the political situation of his time for himself and for the Pharisaic refoundation of Judaism... Nobody then met (and probably meets yet) the ideal of the "independent, disinterested scholar"

• gumby
    gumby
    Think about it, why on this earth were so many Christians prepared to die at the hands of emporer Nero a short while after Jesus death

Perhaps for the same reason ones were willing to roast alive in Waco Texas for a guy named David Koresh. People have died for people and their rules.... and for unseen deity since man began.

LT,

You seem to have a strange and very much JW-centric view of what the bible is about. It seems to me that you're applying modern rules to it that completely miss the point. Why do YOU think it was written / compiled?

No, all I was doing was showing how the one and only proof we had from a 1st century historian concerning the truthfulness of Jesus existence was lied about yet built upon by others.

*kicks LT in the nutsack then runs*

Gumby

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Lying is such a dirty little word.

Wash your mouth out with soap, young man!

LT, of the "glad I wore that studded codpiece today" class

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think Eusebius was totally awesome for preserving a ton of material that would otherwise have been lost.

• UnDisfellowshipped
  • UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Gumby,

You said that the "Church Fathers Purposely Lied about Jesus." For argument's sake, let's say you are correct and Eusebius did purposely lie when quoting Josephus. That is still only one "church father." Who are the other "church fathers" who PURPOSELY lied?

Why did you use a generalization and lump all of the "church fathers" together? The Watchtower Society uses tactics similar to this (for example: "Apostates," "Opposers," "The Media," "Christendom," "Worldly People," etc.)

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization

• gumby
    gumby

Undisfellowshipped,

Gumby,

You said that the "Church Fathers Purposely Lied about Jesus." For argument's sake, let's say you are correct and Eusebius did purposely lie when quoting Josephus. That is still only one "church father." Who are the other "church fathers" who PURPOSELY lied?

The point was.....the famous paragraph of Josephus was spurious.....yet used as proof.

Do you actually think by the 4th century that Eusebius was the only one who knew about his little scheme? All the church fathers KNEW that paragraph wasn't their in the original writings of Josephus yet they too built upon it after it was lyingly put there. If you want more smut on the faithfulness of church fathers....there's plenty to choose from. Do a little reading on church fathers during this time.

Gumby

*sneaks up on LT and pokes him with a big stick*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit