Smoking 101

by freedomlover 12 Replies latest jw friends

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

okay - just to show how naive I am as to "wordly" things like smoking - I have a question.

why do people bang their cigarette pack against their hand before opening a new pack???????

moving the tabacco or something????

if I don't bang a new pack against my hand before opening - do I look like a total novice?

LOL!

-okay smokers where are you? no jokes about freedomlovers innocence here okay?? :)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I thought everyone knew that sometimes critters get into packs and you have to bang them to the bottom before you torch their asses!

• mckay
    mckay

Many, many years ago when I was young, I smoked, and the only rememberance I have of tapping the cigarette pack against the hand is to force a cigarette out of the pack through a small opening on the end of the pack. Tap, tap and a cig comes out and you grab it. Neat huh?

I hope this furthers your worldly knowledge.

mckay

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

lol Little Toe.

I don't actually do that, and neither does my boyfriend, but I have seen people do that. I have no idea why, it's just a habit I guess, like the smoking itself.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

FL:

I think the info that tapping to get a cig out is right. Tapping before you open the box sort of 'breaks' it up a bit to make it easier to get one out. *I think* I always did soft pack. Easier to fit in purse.

BSoM

edited to say:

if I don't bang a new pack against my hand before opening - do I look like a total novice?

Are you smoking?! FL

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I hate to be the voice of reason here but just found out one of my coworkers is going to Sloan Kettering Hospital to verify he has lung cancer (smoked for 20 years). The guy is totally out of it and seems to have lost all hope (drunk as a skunk yesterday morning).

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm surprised none of the smokers have posted this. I don't smoke, but I do know why they tap the packs. Supposedly, it packs the tobacco against the end of the ciggarette and makes them burn longer.

• carla
    carla

It's supposed to help 'pack' the tobac tighter and burn better and some say longer. Mostly it is just part of the habit that goes along with smoking.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

ahhh....thanks for the clarification.

I thought it had something to do with building the tobacco up at the tip of the cigarette. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know why people do this.

:)

LOL at littletoe! yikes! critters!

• Bookey
    Bookey

(removed)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit