Finally out of Hiding

by Shador 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shador
    Shador

Well I finally came out and told my parents I did not believe in the WTS doctrines.

For me the last straw was seeing Honesty's simple clear proof of the wrongness of 607. 'Course I couldn't remember all the refs last night but now I've printed them out.

Told them about the NGO thing. Of course they said the "ebul 'postates" were twisting the whole thing.

My dad tried to "reason with me" thusly:

"Do you believe in God?" (Y/N)

I, not being a complete athiest, said yes.

"What kind of god is he? (Evidence of his love in creation of the beautiful earth, etc.)

I conceded on this point, as I do feel that God at least has some concern for man.

"So why does man live only 70 or 80 years, while some TREES can live 4000+? (Body renews self, science does not understand why it stops doing so, marvelous design of brain, etc = Man not intended to die)"

I had no real answer for this.

"Wouldn't a loving God explain what went wrong (also, wouldn't he provide guidance for man)?" "Bible is the only book that explains why we die, ergo, bible is God's word."

Okay, I'm floundering at this point.

"What is the only religion who's members show true love among themselves and refuse to go to war and kill other members of the same religion in other lands?"

I argue that Quakers, etc. don't do war.

"But do they have love among themselves like JWs?"

Floundering. I've never met one, how should I know?

"End result: You KNOW this is the truth, you just don't want to live by it!"

----------------------------------

When bringing up apostate web sites, I was told:

"They don't really care about you. They will tell lies and half-truths in an effort to destroy your faith. That's all they really want to do."

-------------------------------------

I asked why WTS doctrine changes and was told that "they are not inspired of God, and don't claim to be" AND of course directed to Proverbs about the light getting brighter.

I then asked why they treat WTS doctrine as though it is inspired, then? (i.e. adherance required)

I got the speil about them being guided by HS (Huh? I thought they wern't inspired?) and, while they may make mistakes, they are God's reps, so they give us information for our good (or some such. I really wasn't listening by this point.)

--------------------------------------

Well the upshot is this:

I will probably have to talk to the elders, maybe as early as today. No doubt I will be DFd. I will be kicked out of the house. (Despite the fact that I am the majority breadwinner here, as dad is unable to work, and mom's job don't pay shit. But hey, they'll gladly slit their own throat if the WTS says so.). Also, I do medical transcription in a small, home-run business. The sister who owns it (elder's wife, too), runs it out of her house. So I have absolutely no doubt I will lose my job as well.

So I have no idea what I'm gonna do now. I may be able to go live with my (worldly) grandmother in Maryland, but as for a job?

- Happy to be out, stressed over "consequences"

-Mike L.

• KW13
    KW13

I think you can prove the things, what love? its conditional on your religion and thats not 'love for your neigbour' as jesus commanded.

How about kicking you out? is that christ like? he ate with sinners!

The 607 thing proves its not the truth.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Shador, and welcome. It was very brave of you to stand up for yourself like that. If your parents do threaten to kick you out, perhaps you might remind them of the love among themselves they are supposed to have. They don't seem to be displaying much to you.

Whatever happens, good luck.

Linda

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Hi. Just give up on the "love-thing". "Love" is relative, you could stand there all day with you shouting "there is no love in the jw-religion" and they would shout "yes there is", and it would get you no further. Stay on the board, collect information, it`s all here, thruout the threads, in a couple of months, you will have learned enough about the Bible and WTS history to argue them to pieces. Focus on learning about 607, 1914, all the failed prophecies, what the Bible says about false prophets (deuteronomy 18:20), about their wrong interpretations of Revelation, with that horrible, unbiblical dividing of the christians into two separate classes (their whole "annointed"-thing is just crap). Just stick around and learn.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***"End result: You KNOW this is the truth, you just don't want to live by it!"***
    Shador, I hope all goes well with you. It's a hard thing to tell your parents this. I did it almost 30 years ago, and my parents still insist I KNOW it's the truth, but that I'm too stubborn/lazy/influenced-by-others to live by it. It's a hard thing that parents would rather reject you than take a hard, honest look at themselves and their religion, but that's the way of it. Best of luck to you.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Shador,

Welcome. There are answers to the questions he asked.

science does not understand why it stops doing so

Telomeres begin to shorten during cell replication until imperfect copies or no copy at all is made. It is designed to have a terminus, like every single animal. Comparing humans to trees is just about as sensible as comparing trees to stones. Now, asking why telomeres shorten in humans at a slower rate than they shorten in squirrels, for instance, or fruit flies, is just as nonsensical as asking why they shorten at a slower rate in trees.

The initial assumption is that man was intended to live as long as a tree. Whereas the actual fact is that mankind would have long since ruined the habitability of earth for every other species through overpopulation if we didn't die, which would kill us from starvation and/or malnutrition. Likely for every species of plant as well.

"They don't really care about you. They will tell lies and half-truths in an effort to destroy your faith. That's all they really want to do."

Well, one thing is for sure. Your parents care about you. They don't mean to use circular logic, lies, and half-truths. They just want to help the organization master your faith. They want to keep you chained to doctrine that has no Scriptural support and call it spiritual food from Jehovah, through Jesus, to the Faithful and Discreet Slave. But they are doing it with the BEST of intentions. They believe it will save your life. They just don't know it would rob you of your life. Hundreds of thousands, no, millions of Jehovah's Witnesses have already spent their entire lives serving a lie—fully believing the end was soon.

It may be some time before they recognize the actual path the information took. From GB Committee, to print, to either a drone or to a Judicial Committee hearing in a trial that itself—by its very nature—rejects the Scriptures wholesale.

I'm so sorry you are faced with this. Hopefully, there won't be many more who have to endure this treatment in order to get free of this religion.

If you are about to endure a JC, you are about to experience the other side of JW "love." The "loving" discipline.

The reason you were floundering was because he was firing Gatling gun questions at you faster than you could answer them and feeling correct because you (a younger person) couldn't answer. If you were to find yourself in a room with he and I, the scenario would have been much like the scenario between my father and I, the Circuit Overseer and I, the BOE and I...no Scriptures from their side, and heavy sighs when I asked them to turn to another.

He wants to use sophistry with you, but he only does that because he learned how to "teach" from sophists. If he knew better, he'd be ashamed of himself.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    I think you can prove the things, what love? its conditional on your religion and thats not 'love for your neigbour' as jesus commanded.
    How about kicking you out? is that christ like? he ate with sinners!

Good point, KW13.

He also sought out a condemned and expelled apostate and asked for him to be a follower. (John 9)

• carla
    carla

he ate with sinners!--- I've tried that one too. The jw response I got was this, ' the only reason Jesus spent anytime with the sinners was because He was preaching to them.'

'Using that example is the reason we, jw's, can associate with sinners as well, as long as we are preaching the good news.'

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Hi Shador that was really brave of you, especially knowing the consequences will be difficult for you.

I hope it all works out well. I know you will feel relief at living your life truthfully. And life will improve. at least now you will be allowed to get a decent job and maybe a career if you want one.

You cant argue with that can you? Guess your dad knows a helluva lot more internet apostates than you do! Ask him how he knows them so well??!!
  • Shador
    Shador

Update: While my folks were out in service, I called my grandmothers in Maryland. Both of them said they would help however they could. The one said I could come live with her "anytime" and that she was "glad my eyes had finally been opened" I even learned that one of my aunts is an ex-JW. I had never heard that before, though mom never tired of telling me that her grandpa was a JW. That, and the support all you are expressing has given me new wind in my sails to endure the hell that is to come with the JC. Though, really, I see no need to go before a JC or defend myself to religious frauds. I suppose I may have to though...

Anyway, thanks for all the support.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit