Money & WTBTS

by Mystery 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• peggy
    peggy

I'm just wondering if Ray Franz has ever discussed this subject? Did he have a savings account full of money coming from the "green handshake"? Where are his riches? He mentioned the perks of world travel in his book CoC, but to my knowledge, he never said anything about money being handed his way on a regular basis.

Peg

• blondie
    blondie

It has been published elsewhere that Ray Franz received $10,000 when he left Bethel. As to the perks, I don't know. Not every GB member accepted "gifts." It is customary even now for the circuit and district to pay the travel expenses of the speakers from Bethel that come out for the assemblies/conventions. Having booked speakers for non-JW conventions, the same was done for those speakers, travel expenses were paid.

If you are interested in the details, I suggest contacting him at

[email protected]

Blondie

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Like your alias but,if your counting yourself you weren't paying attention at da meetin.

remember there's 144,000 +1 (Jesus) see what happens when you don't go to your meeeetings.

• peggy
    peggy

10,000 dollars is NOTHING compared to the years of service!

Peg

• startingover
    startingover

I think it all could be compared to the lifestyle of the pope.

• sistab_b
    sistab_b

I guess it's just hard to believe Witnesses aren't rolling in the dough. Let me ask all you "thinking" people a question or two. They ask for voluntary donations at the door...if you answer it, which you probably don't...so how can that be a multi-million dollar operation? Oh yeah....do you see their books on bookshelves in any book store or religious bookstore anywhere? Can someone tell me what a Watchtower retails for these days? If you go into a Kingdom Hall no collection plate is passed during the cermon....but there is a collection box at the back of the room....you can donate if you want. They don't believe in tithing a 10th as other religious organizations do http://www.ask.com/reference/dictionary/ahdict/19468/tithing

....so if your not required to tith....then hmmm guess the congregations aren't too profitable either.

Come on people where is the money coming in from...huh? The average JW isn't even college educated. JW's believe in keeping life simple and not becoming consumbed with the pursuit of riches......

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi sista b & welcome!

The main page of this forum has a "best of" section. If you look there, on the 2nd page, is a link to the 'best of WTS finances'. That will take you to some information on that topic.

Here's one direct link to get you started:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/43014/1.ashx

• Mystery
    Mystery
    144001 said - The class of those who could be profitting immensely from this organization is not limited to governing body members; in fact, it's possible that such a person or persons might not even be a Jehovah's Witness.

Wouldn't it be rather remarkable, if all of “this” was ran by “some guy” who decided to get his jollies by playing God to see if he could get people to follow him? Some guy making up a religion (non-profit/non-taxable) to see if people would actually fall for it; finding a landfall; and living the good life off of a religion created simply to see if it could be done.

Did Rutherford have any wealthy relatives/friends that could have helped him out with this?

I am halfway joking about 'the theory".

• blondie
    blondie

sistab

Since 1990, the WTS no longer asks directly for money for the publications either from their members or people at the door. Some JWs may say something about donating to the "worldwide work" without suggesting an amount. All the JWs I knew were too embarrassed to ask at the door. At the kingdom hall the JWs donate anonymously into a box in the back of the kingdom hall. Most don't. I know from being married (or closely) related to the men who handled the accounts. Many congregations are behind in their mortgages and utility bills. There are 2 boxes (sometimes 3) in the KH for separate uses 1) local kingdom hall expenses, mortgage and utilities 2) "worldwide work" money collected or donated by the local JWs to send to the headquarters (Bethel) 3) money fund to build kingdom halls in other areas. Most months the money for the worldwide work was low....

Actually, my husband calculated that out of 30 families, only 5 donated each month (he could tell by the checks).

Some money is collected at each assembly/convention from the donations of the local JWs to send to headquarters. The elders decide how much (acutally the CO "suggests" the amount, usually $5 per active JW in that circuit). Some money comes from direct donations or "loans" from JWs seeking a tax break. Some comes just from the millions in the bank that are not yet committed to a building project.

In years past before 1990, there was a steady flow of funds from the local JWs their payment for the publications....but no more. I think the WTS has been having to dip more and more into their cash surplus to support their building complexes. The older they get they more it costs to keep them up. Patterson is a multi-million dollar affair, but even it needs utilities, waste treatment, fire protection (all things the WTS has had to pay for to keep the local municpalities happy about their presence).

Even in the days gone by before 1990, the average JW only broke even if they "placed" all the literature they purchased from the WTS. Only pioneers got their literature at a discount and even that had ended several years before 1990.

So no individual JWs are making any moola from placing their publications. The only ones getting money are the circuit and district overseers and special pioneers and definitely not enough to rent a room and maintain a vehicle.

Blondie (seen it all)

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Welcome, Sista b! You are in the right place - there is much to learn here. No offence, but I think perhaps you are being a little naive:

I guess it's just hard to believe Witnesses aren't rolling in the dough. Let me ask all you "thinking" people a question or two. They ask for voluntary donations at the door...if you answer it, which you probably don't...so how can that be a multi-million dollar operation? Oh yeah....do you see their books on bookshelves in any book store or religious bookstore anywhere? Can someone tell me what a Watchtower retails for these days? If you go into a Kingdom Hall no collection plate is passed during the cermon....but there is a collection box at the back of the room....

There are many avenues of acquiring wealth for an organization as large and powerful as the WTS; direct donations to the contribution box is probably the least of it. Think 'real estate.'

Come on people where is the money coming in from...huh? The average JW isn't even college educated. JW's believe in keeping life simple and not becoming consumbed with the pursuit of riches......

Where do I begin? Stick around sista b!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit