The Bible. Despite many reasons to dismiss it why do so many believe?

by nicolaou 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Shining One
    Shining One

I have been a witness to healings done in a church and out of a church. No question at all about the miracles. The Catholic has compiled and affirmed thousands of miracles.
    Rex

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

I think this topic is slowly changing from 'why should we trust the bible?' to 'why not?'

I'm not sure about you guys but generaly trust has to be earned, so first lets talk about why the bible is trustworthy. Instead of saying there is no evidence against it. - Think about it, there is no evidence that aliens didn't land on the dark side of the moon yesterday, but just because I can't prove that it didn't happen, doesn't mean it did.

This topic interests me because I believe that the bible is NOT god inspired, and that is one of the MAIN things I'm going to bring up to my family when I leave the org.

Also I think it's important to point out that saying the bible is not inspired of god does not neccesarily mean god does not exist... I think there very well may be a god, but I do not think he inspired the Bible. And that's the question... "Despite many reasons to dismiss it why do so many believe?" If you believe in the bible, please tell me why.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I have been a witness to healings done in a church and out of a church. No question at all about the miracles. The Catholic has compiled and affirmed thousands of miracles.

SO, I'm in no way saying that these things did not appear to occur, nor that they may in fact have occurred. All I'm asking is where is the evidence? The Proof?

If there were credible and lasting proof for all to see, would not everyone convert to Catholicism or whatever denom you are?

• Synergy
    Synergy

After the hell I've lived through, and believe me it was hell...mostly in the name of religion and God, I believe more in God and his word than ever. Had it not been for the truth about him I couldn't have made it. Miracles do still happen. Each breath I take without thinking about it is a miracle. My two children are miracles. I've had the experience of supernatural events in my life. I FEEL the Holy Sprit of God when I read the word and pray. Why would I get that and not from any other book if it weren't from God? God is my best friend and his word is "alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of bones and their marrow. It decerns thoughts and intentions of the heart." I love the Bible. There are things I don't understand but I love it and I love the challenge it gives us. If it were written simple then we'd be bored. The bible is a book that no matter how many times you read it, God tells you something new. When I felt alone today I read it and I felt so much better. I wish for everyone to feel and experience what I do. I can't imagine living any other way.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I don't, but understand why others do. They want to and need to. It's okay with me.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Synergy,
    ***Miracles do still happen. Each breath I take without thinking about it is a miracle. My two children are miracles. I've had the experience of supernatural events in my life. I FEEL the Holy Sprit of God when I read the word and pray. Why would I get that and not from any other book if it weren't from God?***

Adherents from all religions, Christian and non-christian, have reported feelings and experiences similar to yours. You come from a Christian background so you account for these things by looking to the biblical God and Christ. Others account for them by looking to Allah, or the goddess, or divine engery (taoism). The Bible is simply your frame of reference for experiences that people everywhere have had. The Bible is not essential as the source of these feelings; for you, it's your way to explain them.
    parakeet, from the don't-need-the-bible-to-experience-the-divine class

• uk humanist
    uk humanist

There are many books on the the origins of belief from an evolutionary standpoint.
    The ideas in these books go some, if not all, of the way to explaining the preponderance of different religions and belief systems throughout the world and throughout time.

• uk humanist
    uk humanist

As for miracles, and the idea that there is even one proven miracle, there is a million dollar prize for the first proof of anything of the paranormal, which miracles would certainly qualify for.
    Million Dollar Challenge
    Hasn't happened yet, and I don't expect it any time soon (actually I don't expect it ever).

• greendawn
    greendawn

The Bible contains sound spiritual advice at least the New Testament does, and for many the complexity of the world around us proves the existence of a very powerful and intelligent creator infinitely more powerful than man and from there it's not hard to accept supernatural happenings.

Science is too rationalistic, it has gone too far with the concept that if scientists haven't detected something then it surely doesn't exist. What a blinding arrogance.

• trevor
    trevor

For most of his existence, man has not really understood the world he lives in and been unable to negotiate with reality in terms that make sense. Religion has gained control of people by claming to be able to explain reality - that is an invisible reality that cannot be understood without holy books such as the Bible. People now days have access to facts about the nature of our world and universe that did not exist before.

This enables people to be more objective in deciding what they accept. The problem is that without belief we come face to face with the stark possibility that we as humans are responsible for our world and its future. The awesome responsibility of that is too much for many to bear and belief allows them to pass that responsibility onto an invisible being who can perform miracles. This enables people to live their short lives, safe in the belief that all will be well and they don’t have to worry.

This is why people choose to believe the Bible. The world may advance more quickly if it people were more objective but a world without belief in a miracle worker who will one day save us, could prove to be too much for many people.

Little toe has helped me to mellow. I used to think that people had to believe the whole Bible or reject it all. Now I have learned to view the Bible like a bar. You don’t have to like or drink everything in the place. You just find something you like and concentrate on that. What other people choose is up to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit