Anyone remember the facial hair and hair length hoopla?

by restrangled 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

One of the lamest, most time consuming, subject-to-personal-opinion topics in all of JWdom.
    I remember that one of the arguments used was "what if someone came into the Kingdom Hall and was stumbled by someone's long hair or beard."
    What was NEVER brought up was what about all the people who came to a KH and were stumbled because there was no diversity, no beards or long hair or signs of individuality??
    All the talks putting down dress and hair styles, all the opinions. Just such bullshit, and I'm so glad to be rid of fit.
    S4

• supersonic
    supersonic

I'm in the process of growing mine until i at least get some council. That should keep me entertained for a while. I've started going with a bit of a goatee but that isn't frowned upon around these parts.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I was always getting told off because my hair was too short. A few times i had elders gang up on me and ridicule me I'd grown a beard. I even had a elders wife suggest I should always wear long sleeve shirts because my forearms are hairy and she thought it was unsightly in gods house.

• morwen
    morwen

My husband had to deal with this since he was very young, even when his hair was a teeny-weeny bit longer than the "normal business style" they claim is so holy. He finally got to the point that he didn't care anymore,times HAVE changed and we reasoned that they can't keep telling people they can't have beards,goatees,long hair etc. So he did as he wanted to and he stopped wearing suits.He can't STAND suits and I don't find them attractive at all !!

I think nearly everyone at the KH cringed when we walked in with all our kids and Slaine looking like this,LOL,even in Alaska living on the edge of the wilderness they don't cut you any slack! I'm glad to have that in my past!

Morwen

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Morwen,

He looks gorgeous! I am a big believer in long hair for men. Most lose it so fast so why not enjoy it while they've got it. My husband had long black ringlets that girls use to drool over. Thank god, he hasn't lost his hair at 49. It doesn't curl like it use to and he's got a typical business cut, but it's still full and thick and still sports the beard and mustache.

I guess I'm a bad influence but encourage my 19 and 22 year old sons to enjoy the hair while they've got it!

r.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

When I went to Bethel I had a moustache. First day on the job the floor overseer drags me aside. You read whatever article it was in the magazine (I forget which). I say yes. Then he asks if I noticed the picture. The picture was a white scientist at a blackboard depicting evolution or something similar. In this elders mind, if you were white and had a moustache you believed in evolution. At that moment it occured to me that 1. I may have made a mistake in wanting to work here, and 2. this elder was a complete idiot, which I noticed time and time again with like minded elders like this guy.

• morwen
    morwen

restrangled,
    Thanks! LOL It's so funny how many girls walk up to him,out of the blue, to comment about his hair!! And I agree if you've got beautiful hair,guy or girl,then grow it! I love it! Our 7yr old son also has longer hair than the common 'boy cut".

I don't know what it is but every time I see a good looking guy with nice hair it immediatly speaks to my genes! (now there are plenty of guys here in AK that have long hair that live in the "bush" sorry but they don't do anything for me) I'm very jealous of his hair and tell him he's never cutting it,LOL

Morwen

• restrangled
    restrangled

Dear Morwen,

I'm LOL too! I let my younger son grow his hair. He had the same as hair as his father, only blond like mine. Beautiful ringlets that hung below his chin but he was so masculine even as a child everyone realized he was a boy. It always reminded me of the story of Sampson.

Any way at 19, he keeps it too damn short for my taste, but I still can enjoy his baby pictures!

r.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    It's so funny how many girls walk up to him,out of the blue, to comment about his hair!!

I think one of the strangest things that ever happened to me was when a young surfie dude, about half my age, commented on how much he liked my mop of curly hair. I must admit, I didn't quite know how to handle that one, but I politely thanked him.

• mama1119
    mama1119

WE were in the borg for 25 years and my Dad was counsled ENDLESS times about his hair because its curly so it looked wordly. They wouldnt let hime "reach out" He had to keep it so short he looked absoluly ridiculous. Now that he is out he has grown it out into a pony...his lifelong dream!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit