Why didn't Hitler jail other pacifist religions?

by jwfacts 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Watchtower still proudly highlights that they were the only religion sent to concentration camps, due to their neutral war stance. However there are many other religions that are neutral or pacificts and so must have disobeyed Hitlers request for them to join his SS.

So what is the real reason JWs were put into concentration camps? Was it because they refused to join in the war effort, or was there another reason, perhaps Rutherford's distasteful messages of religious hate?

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Ehhh guessing here but maybe none of the other religions would wake you up early on a Sunday morning just to offer you a crappy mag about coffee beans.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Plenty of Catholic priests and Protestant ministers who stood up to the regime were sent to the concentration camps. Don't believe everything you read in a Watchtower...

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, the WTS does not consider themselves a pacifist religion.

What do you consider a pacifist religion? Were there any groups like that practicing in the countries under Nazi control?

Blondie

• barry
    barry

Hitler jailed some Adventists and Catholics for pacifism. In fact the Adventist Church split because of the war in Germany the part of the Adventists that wouldnt take part in the war became The SDA reform movement and they are still in existance today all over the world.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Pacifict groups include Church of the Brethren, Mennonites and Society of Friends, Amish, Hutterites, and others in the Anabaptist tradition, Doukhobors, Molokans, Bruderhof Communities, Schwenkfelders, Moravians many groups of Brethren, and many groups within the Pentecostal movement. Several other smaller groups have been peace churches, including some now extinct or nearly so such as the Shakers. I am not sure how many of these were in Germany in WW2 though.

Thanks Barry, SDA's are well known for not engaging in war so I wondered about how they fared. There had to be more to Hitlers motives than simply pacifism. I was wondering if it had to do with the letters that Rutherford sent to Hitler.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

TOP ranked JW keyword news at the moment

Hitler - Jehovah's Witnesses' secret lover?
    Kentucky Lake Times, KY - 2 hours ago
    According to a review for the book Jehovah's Witnesses and the Third Reich, this is an "extremely well documented" book "with new primary and secondary sources ...

• praiseband
    praiseband

While not all Protestants are pacifists, many were and are. And even those who are not strictly pacifist (as in they would take up a weapon to defend themselves or others) did not support the aggressive, murderous and genocidal actions taken by Hitler and his followers. Many civilians put their own lives and those of their families between those who needed protection from Hitler's armies. Please research two who are very well known - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a Protestant minister hanged in a concentration camp for protecting Jews, and Corrie TenBoom (sp?) a Dutch women who along with her family hid Jews in their home. There are many books and movies about both and they are held in high regard and quoted often in Protestant churches.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Maybe there is a parallel with Malawi...I have always believed that the "party card" issue was made all the worse because of those crazy "letter writing campaigns" that flooded the dictator with protest mail. It would be so typical of the society to actually magnify the persucation of these poor third world people just to "prove" in effect that they were God's people being persecuted. Didn't anybody besides Ray Franz say "wait a minute - there isn't any scripture on a cardboard part card -" "wait a minute, we are causing our people to get raped and killed -"

Probably Rutherford manipulated the propaganda in the same heartless way in the thirties to call attention to himself. And Adolph Hitler was a very poor choice of someone to get pissed off at you.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I read a letter from the society to Hitler a few years back. They appeared very sympathetic with his views about the jews, obviously trying to save their own hides. I'm sure he saw right through it as it did not change his mind.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit