Well, I'm stuck in my office in Manhattan for now

by Michael3000 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Hi, folks. I know NYTelecom works nearby (across the river?), but I can tell you all that today has been (and will continue to be for a loooong time) the single most bizarre, surreal event I have witnessed.

I work in an office building at 26 Broadway in Manhattan, about 10 blocks from the World Trade towers. This morning, as per my usual routine, I got off the subway at Broadway and Wall Street at about 9:05am - the second plane had just crashed into the second tower. Broadway and the surrounding streets were full of thousands of people - some staring, some sobbing, others with a look of utter terror - just watching as the Twin Towers burned. Hundreds of thousands of pieces of paper fluttered down all around me; as well as ash, burnt insulation, dust and smoke blowing towards the throngs of people outside. I stood - horrified and sick for the loss of life - for nearly 20 minutes and watched the fire and thick, black smoke pouring out of 2 tremndous, gaping holes in the southeast corners of the towers. I remember thinking to myself, "If the impact of whatever did this (I didn't know about the planes at that time) doesn't cause the top 1/3 of those towers to collapse, the intense heat from the fires will buckle the supporting beams." At that time I decided to go into my office, where it would be safer. Nearly an hour after that, the first tower that was hit did just that. My co-workers and I felt and heard a rumble like an earthquake as the section of tower above the fires collapsed in on itself. Millions of tons of ash and debris came violently crashing down onto the World Trade Plaza, and spread outward - covering the immediate Downtown Financial District. I initially thought that a bomb had been set off at the New York Stock Exchange, one block away. We all evacuated the 3rd floor via the stairway to the lobby, but were told by building and emergency services that it was safer back upstairs. So, we returned, shaken, to our floor. Forty-five minutes later, the second tower collapsed, agin with a rumbling like I've never experienced before. We had radios by that time, and immediately heard that the second tower had fallen. We had already closed all windows on our floor, and had been told by Building Services to stay away from windows.

Now, we wait to hear from Emergency Services as to when it will be OK to leave the building. All subway trains, buses, bridges and tunnels have been closed. There are US fighter planes patrolling airspace above Manhattan with orders to shoot down anything that isn't supposed to up there - and right now, that's anything not affiliated with the military.

There are no words to express the horror and utter sadness for those who have died less than 1/4 of a mile from where I now sit. My heart goes out to all those who have lost family, friends and loved ones in this terrrible tragedy. I am a little stunned as I write this, but I'll be OK for now. Time will tell about how much of a psychological shock this will be to those closer to the disaster site.

--Michael

"Any day spent NOT knocking on doors is a good day!"

• peacepipe
    peacepipe

Michael, my heart goes out to you. Stay safe. Hopefully the worse is over.

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

michael,

thank you for your post. how horrible, i'm speechless and shocked.

(((((michael)))))

love
    harmony

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey michael - i've sat, stunned, in front of the tv all day watching the satellite news programmes here in the uk - it is such a terrible tragedy - i hope you and yours are safe my friend ...

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Michael,
    Thanks for the update. My thoughts are with you. AND Nytelecom, if you are in the area, my thoughts are with you also. May we ALL be posting and airing our opinions for many many moons to come.
    Anyone affected by this tragedy--"apostates", bethelites, JW's, Catholics, Muslims--ANYONE--I send them blessings.
    This too shall pass....
    Love,
    B.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Thanks for all the good thoughts, folks. I am OK, and Emergency Services is now evacuating our building from the top (28 floor) down. I am on 3, so it'll be about 1/2 hour before I can leave, and we all must sign out at the lobby.

--Michael

• joelbear
    joelbear

Michael,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. I am still numb. I have the feeling emotions will overcome me tonight when I go home from work.

hugs

Joel

• momoftwo
    momoftwo

Michael-

You poor thing. I can't even imagine. I'll be thinking of you.

momoftwo

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Bridgette:

Unfortunately, like most of the thoughts expressed in earlier posts today, I think the Dubs are bracing for "Armageddon", and gloating as they usually do whenever there is a tragedy such as this. I know my parents must think the worse about my circumstances, but I have phoned my (inactive) younger brother and one of my nieces that I am OK, and to pass this on to my family.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Michael, thank you for posting this. I can imagine how stunned you must be. Most of the people in our office here in Massachusetts have left. Those of us who must continue to work are accomplishing little. I cannot imagine what emotions you are going through at this time.

I'm so glad that you and NYTelecom are okay. I feel such a terrible sense of loss for those who died today. ***HUGS****

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit