Golden Age Goodies

by Leolaia 279 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

Notice in the cartoon that it is ALL about Judge Rutherford? .... and money!

All Hail Judge Rutherford, the Great and Royal One!

--VM44

• Forscher
    Forscher
    Psychiatry is unnecessary and leads to sin; psychologists are stupid monkeys.

Damn! He was waaaay ahead of L. Ron Hubbard!!!!
    Hear that Scientologists! You believe old light!!
    :-)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    Psychiatry is unnecessary and leads to sin; psychologists are stupid monkeys.
    Damn! He was waaaay ahead of L. Ron Hubbard!!!!

Hear that Scientologists! You believe old light!!

:-)

LMAO!!!!!!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Black woman holding up one of Rutherford's books: "What would you say to a po' gal dat loves de Lawd and only has 22 cents".

Comedy gold! Do you think the Judge was influenced by "A Day At The Races" (All God's Chillun Got Rhythm)?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Too fun, Leo! Thanks for this stuff. I was poking around looking up that "Physical Culture Magazine" and found a photo of a page that might be the basis for the article:

The article was an ad for the guy's book. Makes you wonder if the good editor was getting more than quack remedies from the magazine... maybe a little kickback? Could be fun to look into... But then baseless allegations are much easier to make and nearly as good, eh? ;-)

Dave

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

GAG #3: SHOCKING THEIR SENSIBILITIES (PT. 1)

Text:

*** g36 6/17 p. 583 A Few Incidents When Religious Susceptibilities Were Shocked ***

Because they shocked the religious susceptibilities of the Roman emperors by refusing to acknowledge them as gods, thousands of early Christians were tortured, crucified and thrown to the wild beasts in the arena.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

GAG #4: SHOCKING THEIR SENSIBILITIES (PT. 2)

Text:

*** g36 6/17 p. 583 A Few Incidents When Religious Susceptibilities Were Shocked ***

When school children refuse to salute the flag because of conscience, the Hierarchy, considering themselves as the "higher powers" and the flag as their own (since Roosevelt), have their religious susceptibilities shocked some more.

• Poztate
    Poztate

The size and shape of a person’s head and nose affects his intelligence and personality

So if I call someone a pinhead it is based on scripture....

Text:

Because they shocked the religious susceptibilities of the Roman emperors by refusing to acknowledge them as gods, thousands of early Christians were tortured, crucified and thrown to the wild beasts in the arena.

Dammm good thing hardly any of those thosands were of the "annointed" Everybody knows that 143,500 of the 144.000 was only picked when Rutherford was ruling things.

• dilaceratus
    dilaceratus

Dear Leolaia,

In addition to the narcissism, greed, stupidity, and absolute lack of artistic merit apparent in the cartoon, I am curious about the implicit competition stated between Rutherford and Coughlin. When I learned of the 1933 "Declaration of Facts" my first thought (past repulsion) was whether the competition with Coughlin (and other anti-Semitic, populist ideologues, like Henry Ford) was the primary instigator of Rutherford's changing the WTBTS' position on the Jews.

In the same era, the "goat-gland doctor," John Brinkley, was also a wildly influential radio charlatan (owner of the most powerful radio station, ever), with a taste for quack cures, fundamentalism, and Jew-baiting.

I would be very interested to know if anyone is aware of any primary material relating to the WTBTS' radio operations, their actual audience and influence, and the actual circumstances of their cessation.

Thank you for posting this cartoon, which I have never seen before.

[Dilaceratus]

• gumby
    gumby

Here was one I enjoyed. A blast from the old past.

{edited}

*scans wrong magazine and posts it*

...sorry

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit