Golden Age Goodies

by Leolaia 279 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• VM44
    VM44

"The radio is a God-given means of reaching the people, because no man ever invented radio."

Rutherford said this in 1928 and in 1938.

This statement and the others made in the text of the letter make one wonder if Rutherford was really quite all there mentally.

Was Rutherford mentally ill? Or perhaps he was obessed with his own deviant version of reality?

--VM44

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Oh god. I can barely breathe from all the laughing. Too bad the present day witnesses aren't trying to clone humans like the raelians (sp.?). An equally "off" clone of schizo Joe would definitely make me want to pick up and read their current publications.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My speculation about the mental illness question is found here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/115657/2027225/post.ashx#2027225

There are some interesting things about this letter. We are told by the Society that JWs were always neutral politically from the affairs of the world so it is curious how Rutherford appeals to American political ideals and populism through the letter. He warns that the Vatican is "a political institution bent on taking away the liberties of the people" and prophesies that it will probably abolish the U.S. Constitution, for "it now seems a certainty that the people are going to lose their liberties". He adds that "the fundamental principles of the American government which have been held dear to the American citizens so long are in jeopardy" and he "would be a traitor to the American people" if he did not sound this warning. Towards the end of the letter he even wrote:

"Within a few years Fascism and the Roman Catholic Hierarchy together will absolutely control America, dictate its policies, so amend the Constitution that it is worthless to the people, regiment the people and take away practically all their liberties, particularly liberty of speech, liberty of the press, and liberty of worship, exactly as it has been done in Germany. If the American people awaken too late to save themselves from this disaster, it will not be because I haev refrained from doing what is within my feeble power to accomplish, namely, to give the warning" (p. 19).

I have a hard time imagining that statements so emphasizing political ideals today coming from the Watchtower or from the JW press spokesman. Not to mention that these predictions were entirely wrong.

He also said that "Jehovah's witnesses are not seeking members" but are merely sounding the warning that this conspiracy is afoot. I have a hard time imagining how an honest person could say this when an active campaign was started in 1935 to gather the "great multitude" and was intensifying that year. How could they not have been seeking members and yet carried out witnessing campaigns overtly claiming to increase membership.

Also, when he said that he was "making no effort to advance the welfare of Jehovah's witnesses," I wonder if he realized the truth of that statement when he was at that time forcing JWs (under the pain of eternal destruction in Armageddon) to spread propaganda of such incindery nature in the heart of Nazi Germany and throughout the United States, drawing the ire of Catholics insulted by the rhetoric.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

GAG #12: VACCINATIONS MAY WHIP PEOPLE UP FOR WAR

Text:

*** g38 11/16 p. 9 Serum Racketeers? ***

California Vaccination News

A friend of mine had a Chow dog, which had been a good companion to his master. Recently the city went vaccinating dogs. This dog was vaccinated. Two days leter he attacked his master and severely bit his left hand, right under the thumb, in his palm, which wound I saw. An acquaintance had a dog some years ago. After vaccination the dog was partially deaf and now and then went into fits. Never had fits before vaccination. The mad spirit in men fighting one another in all parts of the world might be due to some extent to vaccaination science. If it affects dogs, why not "dumb dogs"? -- D. Davidian.

Nicholas Delucca Vaccinated

Nicholas Delucca, 6, of Coatesville, Pa., was vaccinated, so that he could go to school and learn, and grow up and be a big man. But he won't grow up; not now, anyway. Reason: He died of lockjaw, a victim of one of the most vicious superstitions ever practiced upon the people.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

GAG #13: COLLEGE IS USELESS

Text:

*** g35 10/23 p. 57 Educational Flashes ***

A college-bred man, working for years on the staff of The Golden Age, used often to day that he could not see, for the life of him, of what possible benefit a college education is to anybody. Edison used to say that college men were educated until they had no brains left. This by way of introduction to the story that a California college boasts of having just given a degree to a great-grandmother eighty years of age. Her thesis was a 28,000-word essay on Lucretious as the Poet of Nature, which seems to be a matter of no possible value to anybody. Boys and girls who go to college believers in God usually come away infidels. The dean of the Brooklyn Law School advocates cutting the college course to three years, to which he would abolish all vacations. A person without knowledge of why he is in the world has no real education whatever. And there are many such.

• headmath
    headmath

here is a site of rutherfords books

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/index2.html

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

from the article about WBBR that VM44 posted:

Judge Rutherford died in 1942 and was buried at Rossville in a Methodist cemetary within sight of the WBBR towers.

???? Ok now I know there have been threads here before on this topic... can someone give me a quick summary on just where da Judge was buried?

No Apologies( of the "also wondering about Jimmy Hoffa" class)

• VM44
    VM44

The original RR (not Richie Rich) visited the supposed location for Rutherford's grave site at the request of Nathan Natas.

This was posted back in 2003 in the thread "Where's Da Judge?"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/57473/1.ashx

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

"This by way of introduction to the story that a California college boasts of having just given a degree to a great-grandmother eighty years of age. Her thesis was a 28,000-word essay on Lucretious as the Poet of Nature, which seems to be a matter of no possible value to anybody."

What a smug condescending sarcastic comment made by the The Golden Age writer. How would he know what value the woman's essay might have? Did he ever read it? Does this person even know who Lucretious was and what he wrote?

The woman's essay might have been better than anything this unknown Golden Age writer ever wrote.

Looking back from the year 2006, I would say that the writer's own magazine, The Golden Age, was "of no possible value to anybody", excepting of course the subscription money it brought in to the Watchtower corporation.

All of The Golden Age writers were so sure that their own arrogant opinions. Their magazine was a farce even back then. Reading it, as Ken Raines wrote, is like taking a walk in "The Twilight Zone".

The writers were all full of themselves.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

The Golden Age anecdotal stories trying to link vaccinations with changes in behavior and death are worthless.

Not enough information about the cases is presented to indicate a clear connection with vaccinations or to eliminate a possible cause from another source.

More opinionated arrogance passed off as truth by The Golden Age

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit