I just faxed my DA letter

by hallelujah 15 Replies latest jw friends

• hallelujah
    hallelujah

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society 23/06/2006 Letter of disassociation Dear Sirs Over the last 7 years I have become associated with the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society as a bible student. I read through the first parts of the Bible, and noted carefully the instances of unprovoked genocide, allegedly commanded by Yahweh (Jehovah), and allegedly carried out by the Israelites. (as an example read Deuteronomy 7:1-2). Fortunately I have recently been pointed by Joseph Wheless book Is it God’s Word (1926, published by Knopf, New York), who points out sections of the Old Testament which contradict its own claims of having exterminated the tribes of the holy land. Then I read the new testament and found some comfort there, but no, I was revolted when Jesus said in John vi: 53. … Accordingly Jesus said to them: “Most truly I say to YOU, Unless YOU eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, YOU have no life in yourselves. 54 He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day; 55 for my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me forth and I live because of the Father, he also that feeds on me, even that one will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. It is not as when YOUR forefathers ate and yet died. He that feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 These things he said as he was teaching in public assembly at Ca·per´na·um. 60 Therefore many of his disciples, when they heard this, said: “This speech is shocking; who can listen to it?” 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were murmuring about this, said to them: “Does this stumble YOU? 62 What, therefore, if YOU should behold the Son of man ascending to where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that is life-giving; the flesh is of no use at all. The sayings that I have spoken to YOU are spirit and are life. 64 But there are some of YOU that do not believe.” For from [the] beginning Jesus knew who were the ones not believing and who was the one that would betray him. 65 So he went on to say: “This is why I have said to YOU, No one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”
    Firstly this is shocking. I was informed by Wheless in his 1926 book that it all realtes back to the alleged crime of eating from the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Somehow this is supposed to stain me and every other person with evil (sin), under the power of the devil. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, are cults of devilry. You dream up demons and your witnesses go mad on their own imaginings of the devil and demons inhabiting their bodies. Insofar as Jesus preached or is alleged to have preached demon possession, I reject it, I deny it, and if he said it, I deny him.

Yours sincerely (sgd) Daniel Taylor

• hallelujah
    hallelujah

I forgot to edit it but I think it reads better raw

Dan

• parakeet
    parakeet

It was a big step to take. Hope all goes well for you.

• hallelujah
    hallelujah

Actually I have to thank the witnesses for forcing me to look at the whole religion business and what a prostituted mess it is.

• Purza
    Purza

Brief and to the point. I like it. Good luck to you.

Purza

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I have to admit, that's the most unusual reason for leaving the JWs Ive ever read! But I figure if the building is on fire...who cares how you got OUT of it? It only matters that you DID and that you saved yourself.

Happy freedom!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Well, I just Googled 'Joseph Wheless' and found his books on infidels.org. It should prove to be an interesting read. Thanks for pointing it out in this thread.
    The last book I read about the Bible was Who Wrote the Bible by Richard E. Friedman. It has the benefit of being a scholarly and up to date consideration of the 'Documentary Theory' (aka Higher Criticism) of how the core of the Hebrew Bible came into existence. Naturally, the WTS and other Fundamentalists dislike and discount the 'Documentary Theory'. It is ironic because Mr. Friedman actually treats the Bible with respect and perhaps even admiration. He appeared to tackle his task with an open and inquisitive mind, something that thought control religions with pet doctrines and traditions certainly don't appreciate or encourage.
    I congratulate you on your courage to DA yourself, something that I am not sure that I could do, at least not at this point. At the website Beyond Jehovah's Witnesses (http://members.aol.com/beyondjw/), maintained by Timothy Campell, there is a section on how to write a letter of disassociation - http://members.aol.com/beyondjw/waloda.htm as well as a sample letter of disassociation - http://members.aol.com/beyondjw/da.htm
    I wish you the best of luck (seems strange to write that because as a JW, I was taught that the Devil is the god of Good Luck!), and once again thanks for the information on the book you read.
    Dave

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Welcome to freedom.

Good luck

• hallelujah
    hallelujah

Hi Lovesdubs

I figured that the building was on fire, but when I looked, lo, the whole neighbourhood is burning. Run for your lives

• hallelujah
    hallelujah

Hi Primate Dave

I absolutely had to write my disfellowship letter in order to assert absolute control over my life. It's a statement, that having considered all the things I have been told over the years by the witnesses as truth, I reject the theory that all scripture (literally writing) is inspired of God (Yahweh who murders people) and beneficial (not for me). TO be sure, there has been much useful thought gone into a lot of problems by intelligent people in the religious organisations, but to me it's like trying to reform nazism from within.

What I liked about quoting Wheless book to witnesses, is that they can't claim he has an anti-witness bent, because of course at that time (1926) the Bible Students did not really know about the importance of the holy name Yahweh (Jehovah) which cannot be pronounced in any case.

I wish you the best of luck also Dave, since luck does appear to exist (a drunk driver crossed to the wrong side of the road the other day and cleaned my wife and I up, writing off our car. LUCKILY we were in a 60km/h zone and not an 80km/h zone or the accident would have been twice as bad and someone might have been seriously hurt).

Dan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit