Big Letter to my Mom...VERY LONG

by Confession 27 Replies latest members private

• bennyk
    bennyk

Excellent letter. But only if she'll read it.

I agree with Serendipity: The Bubble reference is a conversation stopper. Also, why not appeal to team spirit by re-working the following:

The idea that this is somehow “working against Jehovah” is ridiculous. And, dear, you can’t win if you believe salvation comes from following man.

Perhaps something more like: The idea that acting as a responsible, mature Christian (Eph. 4:11-15) is somehow "working against Jehovah" is contrary to the Scriptures. And, Mom, we can't be pleasing to God if we believe that salvation comes from following a group of men, rather than our Lord Christ Jesus who alone is "the way, the truth, and the life" through whom we may "come to the Father" (John 14:6).

• Confession
    Confession

I appreciate that suggestion, Benny. I may indeed decide to rework that sentence.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I agree with the sentiments expressed by many here, Confession. I'll try to summarize the reason the tone strikes me as contrary to your overall goal:

It is clearly the objective of the Watchtower Society to foster an Us vs. Them mentality. That this objective has been successfully achieved with your mother comes through loud and clear in her letter to you. However, that does not seem (from our conversations) to be your objective.

But any sentences that segregate you and your mother into an Us vs. Them construct should probably be addressed along the lines of bennyk's suggestions, if you didn't want to play by their rules in how you come across as seeing the situation.

Overall, GREAT letter. Well thought out. Obviously from good motive, clearly any outside observer would know that your intentions are to get her to think carefully and not simply react, however...your mother is not an outside observer. I think some of the wording plays into the positioning the WTS want to corner you into.

If you just want her to leave you alone you could do it much more simply. Since you want her to know what you know, or at least know that you had solid reasons for your decisions, try to include her in your side of the equation more often. After all, your side is the more inclusive, is it not?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Poztate
    Poztate

BTTT...A worthwhile read

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Exceptional

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Very very good, and I just respect your decision to write this, although you could have personal reprecussions.

It also could have amazing rewards...

smellsgood

• bubble
    bubble

Great letter. I'm sure the day will come when one of my family will want to know exactly why I haven't made any moves to go back to the org. I think I will keep this letter for when I'm called on to make my arguments.

Thanks. XXX

• Confession
    Confession

Smellsgood and Bubble... Glad you were able to read that whole thing. I know it was pretty long. But it's a work in progress. I've already subtracted a few things---and make some insertions to it. I'll have to let you all know how it goes when I actually decide to send it.

Best,

Confession

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

if and when you send it....what kind of reaction do you think you'll get?

i toy with my "letter' in my head.. i have no immediate plans to send one but reading others (such as your own), help me formulate what i want to say and how to say it. so thanks for posting it!

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

Well done Confession,

If your mother is in any way like mine, you've got your work cut out for you. You've presented a very thorough and cogent argument. However, rationalism and reason isn't the average Witness' strong point (see all of reasoning from the scriptures). So I think your last statement telling your family you will be there for them is the most powerful point of the entire letter. Intelligent, conscientious people can only be suppressed for so long, they'll find their way out and, because of people like you will be blessed by a warm welcome. All the best. I admire your bravery and conviction.

FBF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit