Big Letter to my Mom...VERY LONG

by Confession 27 Replies latest members private

• Confession
    Confession

CandidlyNuts...

if and when you send it....what kind of reaction do you think you'll get?

Good question. In fact, since posting that letter, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about sending it. I keep thinking, is this really the wisest thing for me to do?

When weighing this matter, I ask myself what I really want to happen. I guess what I want is for my family and close friends to be willing to look at ALL of the information about the WTS, to wake up as I did, and I want to do whatever I can to help them ease into a less stressful, more meaningful life post-Watchtower. But let's look at the reality of this situation.

My father will soon be 74 and not long after my mother will be 73. They have both been "in" since the ages of 19 and 18. They have been lifelong, zealous WTS advocates, my father professing to be of the anointed since before I was born and my mother having studied with scads of people now in the organization. Sure, it's possible they'll wake up. But not very likely. And what if they do?

Well, it's possible they will be able to have some relief from worry about the WTS-style armageddon, the nonstop cycle of pseudo-study, meetings, field service, assemblies and conventions. But, should they come to the conclusions I have, it's more likely that they will (at their advanced age, with 54 years of their lives wasted in dedication to the borg) find themselves depressed, lives without meaning, full of sorrow over all those they unwittingly helped mislead.

With reference to my friends and siblings, it's another matter entirely. They still have time to recover from the effects of a great LifeQuake.

So, on one side, there is my deep desire to (if at all possible) help those I love come to discover the real truth. And on the other, concern for my aging parents. And, while I can be active in trying to help JWs anonymously online, I can't think of a way to help my friends and siblings without my parents finding out.

To answer your question more directly, I think my mother would probably read the letter, then send it back to me with a note claiming she didn't. I had intended to send it to the rest of my family as well. There are about thirty in the organization.

I would imagine that 30% would refuse to read it. Another 40% would do what I think my mom would do (above.) The remaining 30% might actually reflect on some of the things I write, and either throw it out--or into a drawer, where they may read it again later. Perhaps one or two might be affected by it immediately, but a greater number will remember the things I wrote--as they themselves begin to question the organization. And that is my greatest wish: in the event they do begin to question, they give themselves permission to conduct an objective investigation, and end up calling me.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Confession: So, on one side, there is my deep desire to (if at all possible) help those I love come to discover the real truth. And on the other, concern for my aging parents. And, while I can be active in trying to help JWs anonymously online, I can't think of a way to help my friends and siblings without my parents finding out.

In my opinion, this is the nut we have to crack. All of us who have family and friends left in are in this position. I think the Internet is a vehicle through which we can put the right "strangers" in touch with our family and friends. For instance, you could take a crack at my family and I could take a crack at yours. But imagine on a much bigger scale, playing oblivious and helping them question through a stranger's eyes.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i totally understand, my parents are elderly too, my dads a humble man who spent 4 or5 years in prison as a cons. objector for the watchtower, he also gave up a very promising music career.. he and my mom raised all of us kids in a balanced healthy home and although he would never accept a position in the hall , he was always available to encourage others and answer questions.

He and mom served God not the wtbs. i doubt they are totally ignorant of the flaws in the org. i'd really think hard before i'd lay out the wtbs falsehoods and deceptions and hypocrisy.

but that said.. i dont want my OWN kids living in the environment that is prevalent within the org TODAY.

what are we to do?

its a difficult situation for sure.

• Highlander
    Highlander

Excellent letter!

Word for word, it kept my attention.

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

Brrrrrrrrrrrr... a few rusty wheels in Mr Ben's brain creak into action..... There is something in my memory telling me that Jesus completely contradicted himself on the point of who is for/against him.

Yep, he said as you quoted :

“…for he that is not against us is for us.” [Mark 9:38 – 40, NWT] ,

AND he also said the exact opposite :

“Anyone who is not with me is against me.” (Matt. 12:30; Luke 11:23, WE New Test. I don’t have a NWT at mo’)

As for whether you should tell them, that is only for you to decide. But consider if should I not have told you of Jesus’ contradiction in case it undermined your faith? Of course not, you are an intelligent adult, who has the right to know, and I would be remiss in not telling you. But then you are not banned from ever talking to me afterwards. Oh the Dark Tower really fucks lives up…

Very good letter BTW. Best of luck.

Mr Ben

• Confession
    Confession

Hi, Mr. Ben...

But consider if should I not have told you of Jesus’ contradiction in case it undermined your faith?

No worries; I knew about Matthew 12:30, but don't see it as a contradiction. Most translations say, "He that is not with me is against me." Of course the JW bible says, "He that is not on my side is against me." The New Living Translation says, "Anyone who isn't helping me opposes me."

The guy who had been expelling demons through the power of Jesus' name was obviously not working against Jesus. He was on His side. He was helping Jesus. No doubt this is why Jesus said to let him be. In Matthew 12:30 Jesus refers to those who are not with him, in the sense that they are not on His side or helping Him.

I see it as a similar word construction, but making two different points. In Matthew He says if you're not actively helping you are against Him. In Mark He says, basically, "Hey, this guy is on my side; let him be."

And anyway, Ben, while I try to work within the confines of the Bible in making points to active JWs, you don't need to worry about undermining my faith. I presently define myself, as M. James Penton once said, "a God believing agnostic."

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

I respectfully disagree with your viewpoint. Let us suppose there was someone who was neither for nor against Jesus, someone who had never heard of him, say a 1st century Inuit or something.

“…for he that is not against us is for us.”

According to this statement, because the Inuit is neither for nor against Jesus, Jesus reckons the Inuit is a friend.

“Anyone who is not with me is against me.”

According to this statement, because the Inuit is neither for nor against Jesus, Jesus reckons the Inuit is an enemy.

The Inuit’s position on the matter never changes, but according to one statement he is a friend, according to the other, an enemy.

This is a contradiction because at least one of them must be wrong.

But anyway, this is hijacking your thread a bit. My original point was that if you included that scripture in your letter, your mum could just reply with the other one, which might undermine your purpose.

Regards,

Mr Ben

• Confession
    Confession

Hi, Ben...

I certainly see what you're saying. And if what you wanted to do was stand strictly on the words and not the context, your point can be acknowledged.

Let us suppose there was someone who was neither for nor against Jesus, someone who had never heard of him, say a 1st century Inuit or something.

The thing is, with reference to the scripture in Mark, Jesus isn't speaking of anyone like a 1st century Inuit--but instead a person who was openly acknowledging Him when expelling demons.

I know my mother could attempt to counter with the scripture in Matthew, but it would be particularly ineffective (I think) since the JW bible says, "He that is not on my side is against me." Along with the above point, I can make a logical case that it is JWs who unreasonably and presumptuously insist this scripture can ONLY apply to them.

In Mark, Jesus is reacting to news of a man expelling demons 'by the use of His name.' When talking about those "not against us," he then apparently means 'among those already on my side who may not have full knowledge or may not be in close association with your circle of friends.' When Jesus said, "Do not try to prevent him," was he talking about someone who was actively working against His will--or even someone who did not know Him? No.

So I think, when considering the context and not just the word construction, the following conclusions may be drawn...

1) Matthew 12:30: Anyone not working with Christ is against Christ.

2) Mark 9:38-40: Do not look down on those who acknowledge and work with Christ just because they are not in your little group.

Might God have shown better foresight in using a different word construction in these two sentences to avoid the potential for confusion? I guess. Might this possibly demonstrate that the writing of the Bible was not done through the direction of God's Holy Spirit? Quite possibly. But, since the JWs claim to use the Bible as their final word, where given the opportunity, I will show them why applying logic to their "final word" results in great discrepancies to their exclusivist doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit