Euthanasia for humans, is it right or wrong?

by FreedomFrog 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    If you are advocating a "pro-life" agenda respecting abortion, essentially saying that a woman cannot decide what happens to her body, how do you reconcile that with a "pro-choice" agenda regarding euthanasia, which advocates the individual's right to control their death?

I didn't answer your question scully, so I'll try.

I reconciled them both in my mind because it's legal to take a "humans" life via abortion. Most people (from my understanding) view the life of that unborn child as important as any other human. So if a situation comes up to where a person/s feel it best to terminate a healthy fetus because it's "their" bodies, shouldn't a person who is suffering and already on death bed be allowed to make that choice about THEIR bodies?

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog
    I did a paper on the same thing. I got an A. Want to buy it from me? Just kidding.

It's a very attractive offer. ;) How much will it cost me? Hehehe

I contacted the Hemlock Society when I wrote my paper. They provided some great information for my research.
    I'll look into Hemlock. I've got several cool links that were provided from this thread, so I do have a lot of information now. At first, one of my points was going to be the using the abortion as a convincing argument. But from this discussion, I can see that it can get me into trouble with being persuasive. :)
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    darn, it's cutting half my message. I'll try this one more time.

Frog: This happened to me last week - very frustrating! I finally gave up.

About the topic: yes, I believe we should be able to make some decisions ahead of time - most of us don't want to live helplessly or in pain, especially if the prognosis is dismal anyway.

Asking someone to help us end our life, however, opens them up to possible legal consequences, at least right now. That's why we should have a medically-assisted option.

• Scully
    Scully

I'm beginning to get the feeling that many of the decisions people make regarding pregnancy/abortion and end-of-life issues boil down to the costs (financial, emotional, etc.) of the various alternatives.

• To a woman whose pregnancy is the result of rape, the emotional cost of carrying the pregnancy to term and caring for that child may be "too much" for her to bear, even though she has the alternative of giving the child up for adoption.
    • To a woman who finds out she's pregnant just after her husband has dumped her for another woman, both the financial and emotional cost of having the child may be "too much" for her to bear, even though she has the alternative of giving the child up for adoption.
    • To a young woman who finds out she's pregnant after having casual sex with a friend, the emotional cost of having an abortion may be "too high", so she decides to carry the pregnancy to term and give the child up for adoption.
    • To the young man who has fathered a child as a result of a woman misrepresenting her ability to conceive ("I can't have children" or "I'm on the pill" when she knows she's ovulating) and with the intent of "sticking him" with child support payments for 18 years and keeping him involved with her, if he is not in a financial position to support the child, can he insist that she put the child up for adoption or have an abortion, since the genetic material is 50% his?
    • To the family whose mother is suffering at the terminal stages of cancer, after having years of costly chemotherapy and radiation, the cost of keeping her alive any longer and prolonging her suffering may be "too much" for them to bear.
    • To the person who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and doesn't want to be a burden to their family as their disease progresses and their mind and body deteriorates, assisted suicide once their quality of life declines to the point that it is "too much" for them to bear, may seem like a viable alternative, even though they may have many more years ahead of them and a cure could be found in the interim.
    • To the person whose life is in a shambles after their partner has dumped them for another, and leaves them with the burden of raising several children alone, a mortgage and bills that they can't possibly manage on their own, gets no child or spousal support, and has to declare bankruptcy through no fault of their own, suicide may seem like a viable option, since their emotional pain and being financially overwhelmed is "too much" for them to bear.

I'm just throwing out various possibilities out there... but in making huge decisions like these, it just shows how important it is to

1. explore all the possible alternatives,
    2. ensure that the individual whose decision it is has all the pertinent information at their disposal so that they can make a decision that they feel confident about,
    3. avoid imposing our own values on the person who has the decision to make, and
    4. respect the individual's autonomy to make those decisions for themselves.

It's extremely difficult to make blanket statements that cover every possible situation, and each case - to be fair to all the individuals involved - really has to be considered on its own merits.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

If someone hasn't posted it yet, here's the main page for Oregon's Death with Dignity Act - or Physician Assisted Suicide. This will give you info and stats. http://oregon.gov/DHS/ph/pas/index.shtml

I am a firm believer in physician assisted suicide. But ONLY for late stage terminal illness. I want the right to choose how and when I go, and I don't want anyone prosecuted for helping me. Life is precious, but not THAT precious, especially at that time.

Yes miracles happen. Look at our own Dansk.

The thing is, Physician Assisted Suicide is not pushed on ANYONE. It is a personal decision between patient and doctor (and family). The freedom of choice is important for the QUALITY of life, not the QUANTITY.

If you don't to be euthanized, then don't. It's just that simple.

If you don't want to have an abortion, then don't.

If you don't want a woman to have an abortion, then get a vasectomy.

If you don't believe in it, don't legislate your beliefs on me.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Ok guys, I'm working on a 1500 word paper for my Communications class and it's due in about 7 weeks. I'm collecting information for my paper.

How do you feel about legalizing assisted suicides for people? Before you answer, please try to imagine yourself in the worse possible tormenting pain as if your flesh is ripping apart and no meds in the world will help out with the pain. You have 2 weeks left and you have already gotten several diagnoses from several Dr's. They can PROVE to you that you ARE going to die. No miracles will help. You WILL die in 2 weeks. You have a chance to take a shot to end your flesh ripping pain. Would you do it? How do you feel about legal euthanasia for humans? And can you support your feelings?

FF

I haven't read this thread, so forgive me as I'm sure I have covered points already made.

I am in favor of euthanasia and assisted suicide for terminal patients.

There is a legal precedent for one having the right to control one's own body, i.e. abortion, blood transfusions, etc. Granted it has not been established as an absolute right as yet. If I, as a potential father, wanted my wife to keep the baby with the understanding that I would raise the child and she would have no obligation whatsoever, it wouldn't matter. Basically I would be irrelevent to the decision making process because it is not my body.

If that logic applies, why can't we have the right to decide when we shuffle off this mortal coil? There is nothing more personal, and more private, than death. I'll be damned before some judge, doctor or nurse will "allow" me the dignity of death.

My wife's uncle and mother both died from Alzheimer's. I watched them deteriorate for years and years. They lost the ability to think and reason. Then they lost everything they ever were or hoped to be. Then they lost the ability to control basic bodily functions.

We visited them hundreds of times. I saw them sitting in a wheelchair with a blank mind and a vacuous stare with Muzak playing on the speakers and sitting under flourescent lighting. That's not life. That's existence. The person they were was gone, only the shell of a body was left, kept by impersonal strangers just doing their job. I knew my mother in law very well. She had great dignity and personal pride and hated the idea of living in a nursing home.

My wife's uncle used the last shreds of his mind to decide he wanted to end his life at his time. He stopped eating. So the doctor inserted a feeding tube. Paul pulled out the tube, so determined that it should be over. They strapped him down as if he were a criminal or some animal. It was disgusting and I am still angry at what I saw.

I don't care what the law says. When my time comes, and this fate or something similar awaits me, I will not allow strangers to do this to me. I will leave on my terms. It's my body and my death and I'll handle it when, where, and how I want.

• kwr
    kwr

Well here in Oregon Assisted suicide is legal. There is even a industry of bringing out of State people into Oregon to help them end their life. The way it works here is you go to a doctor and receive a fatal prescription of a narcotic. Under the law you are supposed to adminsister it yourself, but there are people that will do it for you. Those are the people that do it for legal reasons, but others just take a overdose of heroin to end their life and not counted in the official assited suicide tally.

I have a friend that works as a CNA and she sees the children of elderly parents push them to commit suicide so they don't spend the inheritance on nursing home care.

• mouthy
    mouthy

"LIVING WILL FORM"
    Living Will Form I, __________________________, being of sound mind and body, do not wish to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means.

Under no circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of pinhead politicians who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it. Nor in the hands of lawyers/doctors who are interested simply in running up t! he bi lls.

If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to ask for at least one of the following:
    Bloody Mary, Margarita, Scotch and soda, Martini, Vodka and Tonic, steak, lobster or crab legs, the remote control, bowl of ice cream, the sports page, chocolate, or sex ...it should be presumed that I won't ever get better.

When such a determination is reached, I hereby instruct my appointed person and
    attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a day.

At this point, it is time to call a

• mouthy
    mouthy

At this point, it is time to call a Jazz Funeral Band to come do their thing at my funeral, and ask all of my friends to raise their ! glass es to toast the good times we have had.

Signature: ___________________________

Date: _ __________________________

I also hear that in they have a Nursing Home with a Pub. The patients are happier and they have a lot more visitors

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Now THAT is my kind of living will. Cheers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit