Is this a trend? More repression == more lethargy...

by james_woods 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I think you are right james. They seem to be becoming more pharasaical than ever, but still people are fading or leaving altogether. You'd think they'd learn from this, and adopt a more sympathetic approach, but they may be beyond learning, so the exodus will continue, whatever they do.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

So true! For me it was the constant pressure on my wife and me that drove me to exhaustion. More obedience, more hours in service, more personal study, more, more, more!!!! As has been stated many times, Witnesses definitely seem to have a higher percentage of depression and chronic fatigue than others. It is the only the hardcore martyrs who in some paradoxical way love misery that are still pushing on with that glazed look in their eyes. In my experience, most Witnesses lately just don't have that kind of stamina without questioning, "what's the point?"

FBF

• FairMind
    FairMind

Yesterday evening at the Book Study the conductor (and PO) practically begged everyone to go out in service on at least one Saturday morning next month. People are weary and he knows it.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

AS to why tracts, and why now, and more repression=more lethargy:

The society is a classic top down power structure, even more hide bound than a corporation. At least in a standard corporation, the bottom line to an extent dictates whether or not the top ruling structure remains.
    In the WT, by contrast, the only way to the top is to completely support the opinions, rulings and whims of the top ruling structure; it is, in fact, dogma. The men at the top are inspired by God, and therefore, what they say, is the same as coming from God. The problem as I see it, is that some if not all of the men at the top BELIEVE it too.
    HOW can any of the necessary change in ideas, theology, tactics, governance possibly come from such a self-perpetuating structure? It is a classic ivory tower.

And so you have what we see this summer:

1)instead of seeing a shift to showing appreciation for the fellowship, how difficult it is to endure, and ways to show love in the fellowship through creative association, gatherings, etc, we see THREE campaigns similar to those in the past that are THE SAME OLD THING. Go out more, hit more doors, place more literature that gets thrown into the garbage. The artifical buzz that is generated will be gone by the end of the month, as the pubs realize again that no one has been impressed, no new converts are found and they have wasted their time.
    2) MORE behavior control. Since the WT's basic doctrine is NOT a real christian doctrine wherein EACH member internalizes the message of Christ and allows it to bear fruit in his life, the GB and the Service department resort to asserting their position once again as the intercessor between God and man, and they do agressively assert it. At the convention people will be told to shut up and sit down, that obedience to the elders is the same as obedience to God, to not take too many bathroom breaks, to bring a cold lunch of the appropriate size, don't eat it during the sessions, don't crinkle the wrappers, don't take more than one towel to wipe your hands (my personal pet peeve), don't go offsite, don't take off your badges, don't swim too late, don't save seats, don't take any food from the breakfast areas at the motels, the list is ENDLESS.
    It is THE ONLY WAY THEY KNOW.
    The men in Brooklyn have no experience is real leadership; only control.
    3) MORE of the same emphasis on dramatic OT consequences for the wrong behavior; quick, when you think of rebels, who do you think of? NO one in Paul's day, he was plenty irritated by the dissenters, but they were NOT disfellowshipped. Only in the OT are those who dissent torn apart by bears, dropped into chasms, pierced through the naughty bits, etc. More and more, we are described as 'worshippers of Jehovah' rather than christians; only when they send something on a letterhead or send something to the media do we get described as the christian congregation of jehovah's witnesses. How depressing.

What will this get NY? More of the same, of course; more apostates, more slackers, more depression.

The collective ability of the men in Brooklyn to LEAD, truly lead, is nil. They know only CONTROL.

And control does NOT work in the long run.

• blondie
    blondie

The floggings will continue until morale improves

• Forscher
    Forscher

About a year after I stopped going to the Hall, my family was visited by a Pioneer sister who wanted to motivate us. She not only pioneered, but worked two jobs to support herself. She was burned-out! She sat there listlessly, black rings around her eyes, and looked like she was about to pass out right where she sat. The only time she showed any energy at all was when I implied that I was not all that interested in charging right back into the meetings. Then she was like a mother bear whose cubs were threatened.
    I remember sitting there before she blew up on me and thinking "she is a fine example of what it means to be a true Christian?" I all remember thinking that if that is what God wants of us, thank you, but NO!
    Forscher

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

What crappy WT type analogy can we use?

They have drifted so far out to sea, they need help getting back.

In real speak, the entire org is based on an erroneous, false and flawed concept for a religious fellowship: those at the top make the rules.

This doesn't usually work well for corporations that don't allow competition for the top, or have responsibility to a board of directors.

That is what the WT is: a corporation with NO board to review leadership's performance and hold them accountable.

And those who make it to the top got there by kissing a** all the way up.

How can this flawed leadership paradigm possibly make the changes that they must?

They must give up the blood doctrine, shunning and the door to door work. They do not work, and with the internet putting pressure on leaders who only can respond by forbidding dissent and even questioning in one's own mind, it does not look good for the needed changes.

They are STUCK.

And if you think they will be led out by the charms of new GB members, check out Amnesian's thread on Herd. Yikes.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Coercive behavior works in the short term. Unfortunately the net long term effect is negative. The org has always worked under the assumption that armageddon would correct all the short term mistakes. Now they are paying the price of very bad decisions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit