as a jw..did you ever have a REAL theological discussion with anyone?

by candidlynuts 23 Replies latest jw friends

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

this came up in a conversation with a non witness friend lately.

he said its like i thought i was having theological discussions all the time but from what he could tell...i would go to the door with prearranged comments, which would illicit one of a few comments and my response would be as programmed as the initial comments.

i'm no brainy person.. and freely admit i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. but ya know i think he has a point.

as a jw , even when you study with someone, your told to stop the study from questioning and move on with the paragraphs and written questions.

when i'd talk to other jw's about the bible..it was all.......well you know... everyone has to agree or your marked as a murmurer

i find it interesting now to hear other peoples viewpoints on the bible..even some of the atheistic remarks i've heard make sense..in that i can see why someone could reason that way. i've had to relearn how to participate in a discussion because all my life i was trained to make a defense for the watchtower org, not DISCUSS.

anyone else have similar experiences?

• Calliope
    Calliope

when we were both still jws, part of what attracted my now-ex-husband and i to each other was the fact that we could discuss theology past the set jw boundaries. to the point where it would at times make others in our jw group feel uncomfortable.

however, outside of that, i don't think i had any other conversations. we both realized at the time, that our comments were not welcome.

cal.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Some of my work colleagues have remarked that when I was a jw I would often try to work conversations round to my beliefs, like if someone commented about a particular crime or event I would mention the sign of the last days. I would give the wts explanation for every event, and would say virtually the same thing every time. Lokking back, we were instructed in how to present the various publications and I didn't vary my approach very much, either on the doors or in a casual conversation at work.

I suppose I was quite predictable really, they virtually knew what I was going to say before I even opened my mouth, and I was a bit of a conversation killer. I have much more normal conversations with my colleagues these days, and they seem to quite enjoy talking to me now.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I had a number of progressive Bible studies, and we didn't stick to the material. In one hour we would cover maybe 3 paragraphs. The studies typically lasted 2 hours or more. But we covered a lot of the Bible.

I was directly counseled on my style of studying by a PO and by a CO who accompanied me on separate occasions. I aided (crippled) a few people to baptism, which I didn't know was an extremely unusual thing for someone < 32 years of age. I have apologized to each of them, and the many other people I tried to influence more toward the organizational perspectives on things.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• parakeet
    parakeet

Going d2d, I would pray, literally, that no householder would ask me any question deeper than, "How much did you say you wanted for that WT?"
    Shortly before my JW exodus, my brother (also a JW) and I would have heart-to-hearts about JW doctrine and the problems with it. He was braver than I was and began asking the elders some questions resulting from our discussions. After the first 3 or 4 questions they could not answer, he was told to stop asking questions because it smacked of lack of faith. When I finally left the org, my brother followed shortly afterward.
    It's true that JWs cannot have real theological debate--logic and common sense have a way of demolishing crackpot doctrine thought up by a power-hungry gb.

• matey
    matey

i agree with fullofdoubtsnow.. When i would here conversations, of practically any subject, i would always immediately think of the WT viewpoint on the subject, and how i felt like i knew every answer or had an explanation for practically everything. Now i look back and hate what i was.

• Honesty
    Honesty

How could a Watchtower follower ever have a REAL theological discussion with anyone?

• Terry
    Terry

As a JW you are taught to counter-punch. Everything is rebuttal mode.

I resented that. I like questions that make you stop and step outside your circle of comfort and force you to think before answering.

I had only two conversations in 10 years that were like that.

One was with a Mormon elder who was at least as well doctrinated as I was.

The other was with a Rabbi who convinced me I didn't know shit about either the Jews, the bible or history!

All in all--quite refreshing.

Nothing more boring than reinforcing your own opinion.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I had quite a few while defending the JW stance, and always managed to have the "last word" as a good JW is trained to have, but I deeply kept many things I heard during the discussions, even though I could only realise it years later.

And theological discussions with other JWs (especially in Bethel) were essential to my exit.

• parakeet
    parakeet

AuldSoul:
    ***I have apologized to each of them, and the many other people I tried to influence more toward the organizational perspectives on things.***

That proves your heart is bigger than the entire shriveled collective WTS heart. They have never apologized for any damage they've done. I'm very thankful I was a lousy JW; as far as I know, nobody ever joined the org because of anything I said or did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit