I am a magnet for men in cults

by kristyann 23 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    if you really knew Mormons and had the intellectual honesty to be more informed than from South Park Episodes you'd realise that they are people just like everone else - their beliefs just happen to be summed up as: 'If there is anything virtuous , lovely or of good report we seek after these things.'

And if you actually watched the South Park epsiode, you'd really know that that's what it said (after having fun with the story of Joseph Smith of course, but there's nothing unfactual that was presented AFAIK).

• daystar
    daystar

Qcmbr

While I have a certain amount of respect for you, I too believe the Mormons to be a cult just as much as the JWs are. Except the founder of the JWs wasn't a Freemason and didn't just make up a story and write a new holy book from thin air, claiming Jesus made his way to the Americas. (The "right" to form a new religion from thin air is a something they gain from the lodge at a certain degree.)

And I do know Mormons. I have family who are Mormons. I love them. They're great people. But they're as fruity as can be to believe in such fairy tales.

• daystar
    daystar

So, hey, kristyann... let me know when you're ready to try again. I'm not a member of any cult. I swear!

• Swan
    Swan

Is he a new-fangled Mormon or one of the old fundamentalist Mormons? You could end up with sister wives like on Big Love.

Tammy

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hey Kristyann:

Did you get the job?

Jeff S.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

You know I couldn't let my spiritual bro' take a dissing!

The LDS do believe in silly things but then again:
    All believers in God ,quantum mechanics, Sunderland Football club, guardian angels, the Da Vinci Code, Amway, the US Federal Bank, the big bang, just wars, Guantanamo Bay and smurfs are a little bit bonkers -

I subscribe to several of the above.

I'm just trying to make the obvious point that Mormons don't suddenly become nutty when baptised any more than you all became einsteinian post-JWsville. I have a new pet philosophy that I'll soon tire of but for me is a new driver and that is to examine people's motives when taking a stance. If someone decides all nature is a god and tries to convert me to green consumerism once I understand there aim I can happily accept the bits I agree with and disregard the rest, without feeling the need to burn all tree huggers while chuckling in my SUV. Same with evolutionists - if they are excited about sharing a scientific discovery then great throw another mammoth on the barbie but if they just want to smash my beliefs then TTFN. Point is most Mormons are smart lovely people(as are most gays, pagans, humanists and belly dancers) and not dating one due to perceived ideas about someones beliefs is a shame. If however, you find a mormon spewing books of mormons from his butt and casting the devil out of your cat then run with my blessing and I'll see if I beat you to the escape pod. People need to be judged for themselves not for their assoociations (unless they support Newcastle football club - shivers.)

!!!!Come On England!!!

If anyone genuinely wants to know what the LDS believe the South Park Episode is actually a good START - I also agree with their message to those in hell :)

• parakeet
    parakeet

If anyone wants to read a good book about Mormon history and modern-day fundamentalist Mormon sects, I recommend "Under the Banner of Heaven," by Jon Krakauer. Their beliefs are as narrow-minded as the JWs, but with one important difference: Some of the more extreme Mormons like to enforce their doctrines with guns.

kristyann, you made a good decision not to get involved with a Mormon.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Marvelous Parakeet - select a sensationalist book to describe a religion. While youre at it - want to know about Catholics read the Da Vinci code. Hellloooooo.

I am Mormon Parakeet and you just talked out of your butt - for a start I don't have a gun (which is a shame because how else would I possibly get my extra wives or kill people when God commanded me - oops I'm spoiling Krackpot Krackys plot.) If you want to find out about anything I'd suggest avoiding airport lounge books as your primary source material.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Kristyan,

You ARE a magnet.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ooops, sorry, I thought you said you were a magnet for men in kilts.

~tiptoes out of thread~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit