I am a magnet for men in cults

by kristyann 23 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

Okay, so the ex-JW boyfriend and I finally broke up... and I am not really looking for anyone right now. That was 2 and a half years of a pretty crazy relationship, and I don't think that I was particularly healthy staying in it. I don't mind just hanging out with some guys, but I am NOT in the mood for anything serious after that roller coaster ride.

Do you know what is SO weird, though? NOW I met this guy that I really thought seemed like he'd be fun to hang out with. He's attractive and funny and very kind and all sorts of things. And then I find out he is a MORMON! What the heck? That'd ridiculous. I just wanted to hang out and do something fun with him, anyway, but now I know he'd probably try to convert me and marry me. I mean, other than that, he seems very normal, but I know it would be a mistake to get involved.

Still, I am confused as to why these people involved with cults keep showing up in my life, lol. It's so weird, especially because there aren't even hardly any Mormons AROUND this area. I mean, no, the majority of people that ask me out and hit on me (and I usually reject) are probably NOT in cults... but the ONE GUY that seemed somewhat interesting and attractive and fun to me turns out to be a MORMON.

Does anyone know a lot about Mormons, anyway? I am wondering why he even wants to date me. Now he keeps emailing me once or twice a day, and has called me a few times, too. I haven't the slightest clue as to why he'd even be interested in someone who is not a Mormon. Are Mormons not that strict about it? I always heard that they were. Are they stricter about not marrying someone out of the group than JWs are?

I mean, don't Mormons wear all those crazy "garments" (i.e. magical underwear that look like long johns) under their clothes at ALL times cause they think it protects them? The women wear them, too. Doesn't he want a nice little Little House On The Prairie-dressing Mormon woman wearing those garments... not someone who dresses in short skirts and cute little outfits all the time like me? He actually said he LIKES the way I dress! Maybe Mormon men hate those ugly, frumpy garments that they have to wear so that's why they have some sort of fetish for women in sexy little dresses?

Don't worry... I am NOT getting involved... but I am disappointed and a little embarassed that I even talked to him for so long in the first place (before I knew he's a Mormon).

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

If you want to know more about the Mormons, watch the South Park episode "All about the Mormons," which is actually an accurate portrayal of their history. There's even a catchy song:

"Joseph Smith was a great prophet, dum dum dum dum dum de dum..."

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Maybe you'll end up a famous cult female like Divine.

Better than being Yoko I guess....

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Maybe you just like the "clean-cut kids"?

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

Since I've been wearing mine a lot lately, I thought it said men in kilts.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"Maybe Mormon men hate those ugly, frumpy garments that they have to wear so that's why they have some sort of fetish for women in sexy little dresses"

I wonder what sort of sexy Mormon undies Marie Osmond wore under her little dresses?

Don't let the outward appearance of normality and sobriety fool you any more than the dubs do. Cultish thinking is better left behind before you make any kind of relationship.

Pete

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I hope he stays away from you - why - you just showed the character trait that is destructive to relationships. He is not judging you for being non-mormon but you are judging him for being one. All that cr*p about cultlike thinking is just drivel - if you really knew Mormons and had the intellectual honesty to be more informed than from South Park Episodes you'd realise that they are people just like everone else - their beliefs just happen to be summed up as: 'If there is anything virtuous , lovely or of good report we seek after these things.' Of course - people aiming for those things as life goals are rare and you are probably better of taking your chances with a guy who's idea of happiness in booze and rates his life aims as scratching his butt.

Yehaw.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown
    I hope he stays away from you - why - you just showed the character trait that is destructive to relationships. He is not judging you for being non-mormon but you are judging him for being one. All that cr*p about cultlike thinking is just drivel - if you really knew Mormons and had the intellectual honesty to be more informed than from South Park Episodes you'd realise that they are people just like everone else - their beliefs just happen to be summed up as: 'If there is anything virtuous , lovely or of good report we seek after these things.' Of course - people aiming for those things as life goals are rare and you are probably better of taking your chances with a guy who's idea of happiness in booze and rates his life aims as scratching his butt.

When you say "scratching his butt", do you mean, as compared to "kissing Mormon ass", such as you are doing?

Granted, Mormons in general are good people, but their Church's teachings are what is whacked.

Do you seriously think that this Mormon guy (just like JWs) would not insist on converting KristyAnn BEFORE he commits to her?

It is entirely hypocritical, therefore, for you to suggest that she and others are being judgemental of him, when the reality is that he is just being presented exactly as his Church wants him (and quite frankly INSISTS that he is) portrayed.

Brad

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

http://www.utlm.org/

http://www.waltermartin.org/

These two sites may give you insite on mormonism. What do they believe?

There are too many to cover so I'll give you just a few or so of their doctrines.......

1)Brigham Young(2nd. President of the LDS church) said that It was God Himself that came down as Adam with Eve to be parents of the Earth.

2)Satan,Lucifer, Jesus's brother......

3) God was once himself a man

4) That Brigham Young said that Joseph Smith was his God....

Now the LDS church might denie no. 1 & 4, but it's written in the Journal of Discourse.

Oh 1 more doctrinal statement..it's a winner.........that God came down to earth and had sex with Mary to give birth to Jesus. LDS denie the, "Maculate Conception," where the Holy Spirit set the seed of Christ in Mary.

the links above are quite informative.

• ballistic
    ballistic

There are worse things you can be a magnet for in the opposite sex believe me. Anyway it sounds like you are learning what you do and don't want which is good. The latest girl I dated, or just hanging out with really, has a book on Jesus in her bedroom. I didn't ask her about it. I'm totally cool if someone believes in Jesus or is a bit religious, as long as they are not a member of a cult that takes over their whole life or affects their ability to relate to you at all levels.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit