Shunned Father: Law suit thrown out

by truthseeker 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully
    Bethany's lawyer is applauding Tuesday's ruling from Calgary's Court of Queen's Bench.

Now we know who disputed Lawrence's right to represent Bethany's estate.

• hubert
    hubert

Can Lawrence still sue the W.T. lawyers for "conflict of Interest"????

(Seeing the lawyers were giving her advice on blood issues and also them being J.W.'s)??

Hubert

• juni
    juni

Thanks Aude for clarifying.

• Laetrile is a compound that contains a chemical called amygdalin. Amygdalin is found in the pits of many fruits, raw nuts, and plants (see Question 1).
  • It is believed that the active anticancer ingredient in laetrile is cyanide (see Question 1).
  • Laetrile is given by mouth as a pill or by intravenous injection (see Question 4).
  • Laetrile has shown little anticancer effect in laboratory studies, animal studies, or human studies (see Question 5 and Question 6).
  • The side effects of laetrile are like the symptoms of cyanide poisoning (see Question 7).
  • Laetrile is not approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) (see Question 8).
  • My mistake. I had remembered that the active ing. in laetrile was arsenic, but is actually cyanide. God this is horrible.

I apologize for adding confusion.

Juni

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I would like to give Lawrence a and a from far away. It's devastating to him. Let's remember that first.

I've not read the case, but in the previous case he "won"on the issue that the JW lawyers (of the same firm) were representing BOTH the mother and the child. There is a conflict of interest when two sides get the same law firm. This, is, what could be reported to the Canadian Bar as an ethics violation. Plus, if Bethany was not "old" enough to decide on the blood issue, then how is she old enough to pick her own attorney (i.e. one that is aligned with the religion)? Bethany should have had an independent attorney. I do not know the details on Canadian lawyer ethics, but I "suspect" this all ain't right. In the States, the Bar would investigate, discipline, and possibly disbar an attorney for such a violation.

That being said, going forward...I doubt the JW "law firm" will represent both a parent and the child.

Remember, Bill Clinton got away with everything in the Senate investigations....but was disbarred by the Bar.

Skeeter

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

(((((Lawrence)))))) I'm so sorry!!!!

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

"" Plus, if Bethany ;was not "old" enough to decide on the blood issue, then ;how is she old enough to pick her own ;attorney ""

I was under the impression that Bethany had a court appointed attorney, one not associated with the WBTS. Did I misread that?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I believe that Lawrence was not Bethany's guardian when she died. And he wasn't the administrator of her estate. That means he has no legal right to file a case regarding her treatment and on her behalf. It sucks but that's the law.

Lee is right. I knew this case was doomed from the start. Most lawsuits against the WTS will turn out this way unless the petitioner has an unlimited money supply, like they do, or their attorneys take it on contingency.

• dinah
    dinah

How old was Bethany? I'm guessing under 18. In the US anyone under 18 cannot sign a legal contract but are at an age of understanding at about 16.

But if the child was BRAINWASHED would that throw a wrench in the monkeyworks? If anyone ever gets a viable lawsuit against those bastards I AM SO THERE.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

I too thought this case was doomed from the start only because the lawyers refused to take it on contingency. If a lawyer thinks a case will be successful and there is a good chance of them raking in 33% of a hefty settlement they will usually take a case on contingency. When they start charging you an hourly rate and expect a retainer up front, it could be a sure sign they don't think there is any chance of a successful settlement.

Cog

• whyizit
    whyizit

When my friend first told me she was studying the Bible with the JWs, I really didn't think much about it. I just figured it was another denomination of Christianity and that people didn't like them waking them up on Sat. mornings knocking on their doors. That is why I agreed to a study of sorts. (They called it Bible, I call it publication of doctrines study.) I was all for learning more about their beliefs and how they differ, if at all.

The blood doctrine was what hit my panic button. I read the Bible all the time and never saw anything in the Bible about that! When they tried to prove to be by two or three scriptures that accepting a blood transfusion was worng, I could see that they were trying to read something into it that just wasn't there. A big long explanation from some guy in a magazine about how wrong it is, then a single Bible quote taken out of context to "prove" it. I knew that was fishy!

Then I got the Can Blood Save Your Life? pamphlet. That further convinced me that this is a very bad teaching that is not Biblical at all. Especially where it says they allow blood components, but not whole blood. And these components come from stored, expired blood donated by JWs? Nope! Donated by people like me who are doing it out of love for our neighbor. Just like in the good Samaritan. This same brochure went on to say how organs are a tissue, so they are okay. Yet it also states that blood is a tissue!!!

Couldn't they be sued from another angle? Maybe you couldn't win from the stand point of wrongful death, but there has to be another way. Especially since the WTS's own publication condemns them. Orthodox Jews know the blood law better than anyone and even they accept blood transfusions! It would seem that you could find a way to show that due to the mind-control tactics and the intentional deprivation of medical treatments, people are losing the affection of their families and even the lives of their loved ones--needlessly! Proving that the WTS changes doctrines at a whim would be no problem, because they used to forbid organ transplants and vaccinations, but now they are allowed. (Along with numerous other changes.) It appears to be a crap shoot when you join on whether you will be expected to die or not, due to medical flip-flops.

I know Shunned Father is probably worn out and devastated right now. My heart and prayers go out to him. God bless him for trying so hard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit