Shunned Father: Law suit thrown out

by truthseeker 31 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I just received this in a Silent Lambs email.

Very bad news. I don't understand it.

Canada in Brief

Court throws out Jehovah's Witness lawsuit
    DAWN WALTON

Calgary -- A lawsuit that accuses Jehovah's Witness members of contributing to
    the death of a Calgary teen who refused blood transfusions was thrown out
    yesterday by the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench.

Lawrence Hughes, who brought the suit, was not properly named administrator of
    the estate of his daughter, Bethany, 17, who died of leukemia in 2002, the court
    said in reversing a previous ruling.

Without funding, Mr. Hughes said he cannot afford a further appeal.

• under_believer
    under_believer

There's still the court of public opinion. I suggest he makes sure that this gets lots of publicity (it's already been doing well in that regard, and a bit more can't hurt.)

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm sorry to hear this but what is it you don't understand.

I believe that Lawrence was not Bethany's guardian when she died. And he wasn't the administrator of her estate. That means he has no legal right to file a case regarding her treatment and on her behalf. It sucks but that's the law.

• juni
    juni

Thanks truthseeker for the update.

LOUSY COURT SYSTEMS EVERYWHERE!!!!

The bottom line is this: Whoever has the most money gets justice. Lady Justice in the USA is NOT blind like she's portrayed to be.

Well.... as was said, the court of public opinion is alive and well. This father's rights were trampled on and his daughter was sadly misled by a bunch of coniving manipulators. The WT will feel victorious and all of their 20 lawyers on this case will be celebrating another victory.

My heart goes out to you Lawrence. You tried your very best.

Juni peace~~~

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Does this mean he cannot appeal?

• juni
    juni

Lady Lee -

What rights DOES A FATHER HAVE????

DIVORCED FATHERS IN THIS COUNTRY GET THE SHAFT ALL OF THE TIME. KIDS CAN GO TO A DIAGNOSED CRACKPOT OF A MOTHER WHO WITHHOLDS THE KIDS AND THEY NEVER SLAP MOM W/A CONTEMPT CHARGE. IF IT WERE DAD DOING THE SAME THING, HE'D BE IN JAIL OR FINED IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS NO EXAGGERATION.

Juni

• greendawn
    greendawn

As they say the law is an ass (stupid donkey). The WTS lawyers found a technicality to dismiss the case, why didn't the lawyers of the other side foresee this manouvre?

But this court case gained something for the publicity it gave on the cult's dark side.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I though that Lawrence was the administrator of the estate.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Shit. That sucks.

DIVORCED FATHERS IN THIS COUNTRY GET THE SHAFT ALL OF THE TIME. KIDS CAN GO TO A DIAGNOSED CRACKPOT OF A MOTHER WHO WITHHOLDS THE KIDS AND THEY NEVER SLAP MOM W/A CONTEMPT CHARGE. IF IT WERE DAD DOING THE SAME THING, HE'D BE IN JAIL OR FINED IMMEDIATELY. THIS IS NO EXAGGERATION.

Unfortunately, Juni is right. The mother had her sexual status and the WTS backing her. That's a really tough uphill battle.

However, Lawrence has one thing that neither of them can take away - the freedom of speech. I think Lawrence should team up with Danny Haszard to fight the WTS.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

juni

Lady Lee -

What rights DOES A FATHER HAVE????

I'm not for one minute saying that father's have no rights. They most certainly do. But that is not the issue. The case is about a deceased child. The administrator in these caes doesn't have to even be either parent. In fact if at some point the guardianship of bethany had been given to Child Services or was made a Ward of the Court then neither parent may have been the administatrator.

We are taking the law here and sometimes it isn't fair. But any judgements have to follow the law. There is always someone who is going to fall on the wrong side of a law that needs to be changed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit