Closet Smokers????

by Life Is Grand 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Once in awhile, very rarely, when mostly out for a beer or at a party I'll bum one or two. Also occasionally a good cigar with a glass of port. Wifey doesn't know she is still in the dubs.....

• rebel8
    rebel8
    Any advice?

Yes. Quit altogether. Tobacco kills, in any amount.

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

Thanks for that link, Rebel8.

It is very interesting....I guess there is no such thing as "moderation" when it comes to smoking...

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I'm not a smoker, never have been, although I've tried them.

My father and both grandfathers were both closet smokers (or so they thought). My grandfather kept his smokes under alittle bowl in the bathroom, would go in there and open the window, or go for a walk around the block. We all knew he did it, it was pretty obvious. He bragged afterwards that he quit cold turkey once he turned 65, had been smoking since he was about 12. All this time he professed to be a JW.

My father was the same. My brother and I knew he smoked, my mom said she had no clue when we talked to her about it. He had the stained teeth (said it was from coffee), the stained fingertips, we found his hiding place in the garage accidentaly one time, and when I was doing the laundry, found a pack he'd forgotten to take out of his work pants. It was an uncomfortable position my brother and I were in, and when we confronted him about it, my father became pretty violent with my brother, my mom had to intervene. This was the only time my father ever displayed such behaviour with us. He was DF'd for smoking when the change came about in the early '70's, said he quit to get reinstated, but he never did, just hid it.

My hubby has a friend that is a closet smoker. When he found out his wife was he was pissed!! Here he'd been hiding it all this time and so was she!!! It was too funny seeing how pissed off he was!!! They still are closet smokers! Go figure.

I have seen the health problems of smokers. My grandfather on my mothers side was also a closet smoker. He died from emphesyma (sp?). It was a pretty horrible death, especailly at the very end. Just seeing that made me vow to never smoke.

It's not easy quitting, but I think it's more unhealthy to keep secrets from your spouse than the odd ciggy that you have. Just let him know and see what happens. Who knows maybe he's a closet smoker too!!

BB

• juni
    juni

Love your avatar LifeisGrand! Is that your pup?

I say talk to him about it and have a good laugh about all of it. Don't take yourselves too seriously. Be each others' cigarette Nazi. Work it out together. You're in the same boat so throw out the life preserver to each other.

Juni

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

Juni-the pup actually belongs to my sister(I call him my nephew since my sister has no kids!!)....he's a little Samoyed puppy and had spent some time out in the water and the mud when she took this pic...

In my deepest of hearts-I know quitting the bad weed is the best thing for all concerned-it's just so darn tough to do...hopefully together he and I both can do it once and for all.

Thanks.

• juni
    juni

Ahhhhh..... doing what puppy's like to do best!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit