This is an odd example of a Witness at my door, any one heard of this?

by free2beme 22 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

About two weeks ago I was in the front yard on a Saturday and washing one of the cars. I looked down the street and saw two woman in dresses walking from house to house, with a young child in a suit. Of course, I knew they were Witnesses and I knew they would be at my door soon. I do not live in the same place I did, when I left the Witnesses, and because of the amount of time since my exit, few have any clue who my spouse and I are. These woman were no exception, in that I had no clue who either one was. So they finally got to my home and walked up the drive and asked my how I was doing. As a point in my life, I actually treat the Witnesses nice when they come to my door, as I think being negative is taking something out of innocent people who did not cause anything, they are just lost. Well they approached and I was expecting the same old rehashed information I have heard time and time again, and yet something else came out. The woman said, "We are in your neighborhood compiling a list of people who are hearing impaired and in need to communicating with sign language." I was wondering, "What?" She then showed me that they had been writing a list and showed it to me, as she was carrying a tablet with her. I explained I was not aware of anyone that was deaf, and she thanked me for my time and went to the next door and asked the same thing of them. So what I was wondering, is this "What is up with that campaign?" Anyone know about something this odd or is this how the Witnesses put together deaf publisher territories now? Any insight would be appreciated. To add, for anyone thinking I might have mistakenly thought they were Witnesses, they had Awakes showing from their book bag and my spouse saw them from inside the house and knew one of the names.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Yes this is how they put together territories for ASL (american sign language ) groups. They canvas the area compiling addresses of hearing impaired ones by asking householders questions like she asked you.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I knew that lists were collected (for other languages, too) but have never seen it done as the sole topic of conversation.

My last months out in service were similar in that I did not promote WTS doctrine. I stuck with the bible - and just the Bible.

Odd visit you had there...

-Aude.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The "English speaking" market is saturated with their "product". They are simply moving into more productive markets... sign language and non-English languages.

• wednesday
    wednesday

you are 100% certain they were jws? you saw jws literature/ they identifed themselves as jws?

• free2beme
    free2beme

I live in a fairly small town, I was just shocked they would do this hear. Although, I thought that might be the case.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

A relative of mine is in an ASL group . This is one way to build their territory . They also drive hundreds of miles to calls others in the circuit have come across that are deaf.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

She didn't witness to you because she was just canvassing for ASL. But don't worry the local regular witnesses will be by shortly to invite you to the District Convention. Then you can have a nice little chat about why you are not submitting to the Power of the Borg .

• crazies
    crazies

I would have happily done that for time instead of trying to push the magazines on people! I wish I would have known they did that while I was pioneering!

• free2beme
    free2beme

Same here, and I was wondering, was this something in a KM recently?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit