Met a Laid off Bethel Couple

by doinmypart 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sinamongurl
    sinamongurl

never heard of laid-off bethelites....whats the problem? did u find out any good details by meeting and talking to them?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

For the 20 years I was a JW they always promoted full time service™ as a career with a future™. I'm sure these bethelites are receiving a decent severence package and will be able to collect unemployment insurance. I'm sure they're glad they had the privilege™ of devoting the best years of their lives to bethel, and now look forward to pioneering™ since the end™ is so close™.

</sarcasm>

W

• LDH
    LDH
    I mean, how in god's name could they afford that especially with the Real Estate market the way it is?

There was a news story here the other night about how working families (mom and dad) and 60% of them couldn't afford a "medium priced home" --medium price in this area being $400,000.

How will some bethelites handle this?!?!

Lisa

Bought Medium before it was Medium and loving the Equity Class

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

Sounds a little disgruntled/shafted to me. I expect there will be more of the same in the future.

Axel

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"unless they have family members who are very well off and are willing to help them out financially, this sister most likely isn't "getting her own home""

If they think they're gonna have their own home, then they're coming to the wrong state!

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

The Society is only to quick to point out how someone works for a company his whole life and than something happens and is left high and dry without a pension, they love to point this out whenever it happens, because it makes their point that you can't rely on this old system, so might as well pioneer and forget about retirement and saving for a rainy day, Jehovah will take care of you.

So now that the Society is doing basically the same thing every other corporation does from time to time, how do they explain that they are any different than corp. America?

Special pioneers will retain health benefits; however, if they come off that role, I suppose they are on their own, which is kind of like corp. American not letting someone go, just transfer them into a job they hate and hope they quit and hey, guess what, once they quite you are done with them and you don't have to pay more out for them. Now that is love in action!

OC

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Driving across the country at these gas prices. OUCH!! They should have done the math because it probably is cheaper to fly JetBlue.

In 2000 I drove from Boston to Los Angeles. Gas prices were less than half of today's price at it cost me about $160 in gas. So let's say $320 plus the inconvenience and food. For about $100 more they could get there in 5.5 hours and watch worldly TV the whole way.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

"so might as well pioneer and forget about retirement and saving for a rainy day, Jehovah will take care of you."

heh, and as soon as you leave Bethel you quickly realize Jehoover doesn't provide shit or a pot to piss in. Hopefully, somewhere along the way you get the "spiritual welfare" idea out your head and start working your ass off.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    The sister seemed happy...probably happy to be getting her own home versus living out of a 2-room box.

Yeah, and probably happy to look forward to cleaning only ONE toilet instead of 60! Whatever the husband was "privileged" to do at Bethel, you know she had something really really menial (and probably smelly).

Nina

• wednesday
    wednesday

It might be a tad early to read too much into the bro's attire. Like Warlock said, perhaps he has everything packed away and it is blasting hot. Myabe he just can't stand heat?

anyway, I agree it is interesting that he chose not to wear a coat and tie, and Mary is right women will prtotect their husband by trying to make it apear all is well.

Did these people say anything to anyone that might indicate their atituude, esp the bro? The cong that was still talking abut them the next day, was it strictly b/c of his attire? if so, wow, that is some tough bunch. Cut them some slack, it is hot as hades, and they are driving across country .And they probably aren't thrilled being the ones who had to go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit