Met a Laid off Bethel Couple

by doinmypart 32 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

I met a married couple caught up in the recent Bethel layoffs. They are a fairly young couple in their mid to upper 30s, I didn't think to ask which department they worked in before being laid off. The couple was driving cross country from New York to California, and stopping overnight at JW homes along the way. They were at the TMS and Service Meeting and looking very tired after driving all day. The husband said they would be back on the road the next morning. His wife seemed to be in a very good mood and commented five or six times that night, the brother commented once. The brother wore slacks and a shirt, no jacket, no tie.

A couple of observations:

When brothers are accepted to Bethel here in the U.S., they are usually flown (I think at their cost) to Bethel and have a shuttle waiting in New York to pick them up. This couple had a three day car rental (probably at their cost); three days to drive cross country in stifling heat and high gas prices...what a way to be kicked out of the Big House.

The sister seemed happy...probably happy to be getting her own home versus living out of a 2-room box. By his body language and dress the husband was none to pleased. As congregation members found out they were former Bethelites, there was whispering and hushed tones. I know a lot of the congregation were surprised to see him dressed in such a casual manner and not giving a lot of comments during the meeting.

I hope their experience opens their eyes to the WTS, and I hope many other laid off Bethelites are feeling the same way.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The brother wore slacks and a shirt, no jacket, no tie.

I never donated money to the society, but I once donated some of my ties to Bethel. I heard of others donating clothing to Bethel too. I wonder if the Society confiscates these donated items from Bethelites once they're thrown out.

It wouldn't surprise me.

W

• sir82
    sir82

Imagine the effect of several hundred scenarios like this, disgruntled ex-Bethelites stopping in for a meeting on their way to their "new assignment", i.e., working for Brother Elder's window-cleaning service...

Questions being asked by the naive congregation members, and a tired, frustrated ex-Bethelite letting slip little innuendoes about their shoddy treatment...

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

I'm sure some of the Bethelites have/wear donated clothing, but most of the Bethelite brothers I know have a pretty nice wardrobe. Many of them know where to shop and get some good deals, not to mention the green handshakes and money gifts they receive.

I think this particular brother just didn't want to dress up in a suit/sports coat & tie. He might be showing his first signs of defiance.

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Sir82 you're spot on. After the meeting a lot of publishers were wondering what is going on with the brother. They were still being talked about among the publishers while going door-to-door this past weekend. Even our own poster W-A-C, has had publishers in his area wondering what is going on.

I've said it before...WTS is in a crisis so to speak. They don't have anyone on board that can manage what they're going through, so they try to maintain business as usual...beat the R&F, hunker down, and wait for things to blow over. The WTS is always reacting and they're only hurting themself.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    This couple had a three day car rental (probably at their cost); three days to drive cross country in stifling heat and high gas prices...what a way to be kicked out of the Big House.

Three days to drive from New York to California? I'm sorry, but that isn't going to happen unless they shotgun the whole trip - only stopping to piss and quickly grab something to eat.

I've driven between SE Texas and California two times and each time that took me three days with over-night stays at hotels.

You gotta love the generosity of "Gawd's Organization".

• Warlock
    Warlock

Since the husband said they would be back on the road in the morning, maybe his suits were packed up and that's why he wore what he wore.

Warlock

• Mary
    Mary
    The sister seemed happy...probably happy to be getting her own home versus living out of a 2-room box. By his body language and dress the husband was none to pleased. As congregation members found out they were former Bethelites, there was whispering and hushed tones. I know a lot of the congregation were surprised to see him dressed in such a casual manner and not giving a lot of comments during the meeting.

This is not an uncommon way for the sexes to react when faced with the same situation. Several of my married Witness friends had some pretty crappy marriages, due, in large to them getting hitched while barely out of high school. The guys made no effort to hide the fact that they were not happy in their marriages, whether due to financial stress, lack of sex or whatever, while the women went to extreme lengths to try and convince you that they were the happiest couple in the world and had no problems whatsoever.

Your description above seems to reflect the same attitudes. The sister is more than likely putting on a front so that people don't think they're angry and disgruntled about being forced to leave. Her hubby is (apparently) angry and pissed off and doesn't care who knows it. And unless they have family members who are very well off and are willing to help them out financially, this sister most likely isn't "getting her own home". I mean, how in god's name could they afford that especially with the Real Estate market the way it is? Now they have to enter the real world, get jobs, pay rent, the phone bill, heat, hydro, medical insurance. If they aren't trained in anything specific, they're facing some pretty rough roads ahead.......

• greendawn
    greendawn

Let's hope they realise that they were serving a spiritually sterile cult, a false religion in other words, and that they got ripped off by the much revered FDS.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I find it amusing that the congregation's are always so concerned about what individuals wear. Oh no we don't believe in salvation by works.

At first congregations and individuals will be all too generous with the returning bethelites around the country. But generosity, especially dub generosity, has its limitations. Eventually they will get tired of bearing the burden of these displaced ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit