How Does Your Garden Grow?

by OpenFireGlass 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully
    are you saying that you wish there were only dandelions?

Not at all. But why give a nasty label like "weeds" to something that's got so much potential? Why not just let them be what they are, instead of trying to eradicate them from the garden in favour of the more delicate and labour intensive plants like roses and hydrangeas?

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

scully, I'm definatly in agreement with that statement I knew there was more to it than how i comprehended it..

• acadian
    acadian

It use to be, I'd buy all my amendments/fertelizers at the store trying differant ones. Now I use only that which comes from the ground (my property) and my goats and chickens. And the same applies to my spirituallity, I tried all sorts of shyt and have come to the conclusion for me at least, is, that no artificial fertelizers (man-made religions) will ever replace cultivating your own ground (going on the inside) and starting there first. the secrete to life is..."Life's water is free" (don't ask what that means, I don't know), you don't need to go to Walmart for your "Miricle-Gro" And you don't need to go anywhere for your spirituallity. Harm no one.....but don't step on my tomatoe's.... If you understand what I just wrote, please explaine it to me...LOL Acadian

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    the secrete to life is..."Life's water is free" (don't ask what that means, I don't know),

yeah, I was pondering that part of the process, regardless if you use a pre-packaged or self-made approach, everything needs water...

I have also found that fruits & vegtables (especially tomatos) grown with organic fertilzers, have more flavor, and variety in flavor. Where as tomatos grown with refined fertilizers tend to taste bland, even between varities they all taste the same..

• joe_black
    joe_black

Some friends of mine from Japan tell me that in alot of Asian countries they use their own shit for fertilizer. I'm not saying this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I bet it smells perty shitty.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Joe

Yes it's true that human sewage is used as fertilizer - not directly though. They build special composting latrines. Amazing what they can do. This is part of an article on Wateraid's website (something good that came from water privatisation - this charity is well worth supporting!):

Sanitation means rather more than keeping the sewage out of the water supply. In most villages the only place to 'go' is in the bush. Girls often don't like to go into the bush by day; so they wait uncomfortably for darkness, and then risk being attacked by animals - or by men. Pigs can wait to snuffle up the excrement, which is frightening for small children.

If there are no proper lavatories at school, girls will stay away, and miss out on their education.

The solution is the latrine - ranging from a small hut with a seat over a hole in the ground to the ventilated improved pit (or VIP) latrine.

These perform several functions. First they provide privacy and safety for the users, often close to their homes, rather than hundreds of yards away in the bush. Second they keep the sewage away from water supplies. Third they protect the sewage from flies, which would otherwise settle on it and carry dirt and disease into the houses.

Some latrines are also designed so that the sewage can be composted and later used for fertilizer, as Omar Salima, a farmer in Matamangwe village, Mozambique explains:

"The compost produced has increased our yields and is producing better quality crops. Now we not only have enough food for ourselves but we have extra crops to sell. Maize, lettuce and peppers do best - they don't just wait in the ground, they shoot up just like that! In the past we had to buy artificial fertiliser and we could only afford to open a small field - just three hectares. Now we are able to farm 13 hectares.

http://www.wateraid.org.uk/uk/about_us/oasis/springsummer_06/3952.asp

I don't use much manufactured fertilizer on my garden - pelletised chicken manure for the potatoes and that's about it. I compost my kitchen waste and use that. The flower patch is 'cottage garden' style - untouched and manages itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit