the Power of Prayer?

by darcy 40 Replies latest jw friends

• darcy
    darcy

I was reading through the 'Why I hate God' thread', and reflecting on my own experience with prayer. I think the one most... relieving? point was when I realized that I when I prayed I wasn't really trying to talk to Jehovah, but I was talking myself through my own life. The prayer would often help me to calm down, and reason through, figure things out. Unfortunately, I do more journaling than praying, but, it would appear, they're relatively the same thing in different skins.

I'd like to know about y'alls experiences with prayer. Feel free to be long-winded.

• Satanus
    Satanus

My experience w prayer is that it is an intercation between ones own conscious/subconscious w the communal human subconscious, or as jung put it, the collective unconscious.

S

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Show tunes are superior because they get to the point and are over in less than 4 minutes.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    My experience w prayer is that it is an intercation between ones own conscious/subconscious w the communal human subconscious, or as jung put it, the collective unconscious.

Ditto

• JH
    JH

Prayer is an escape valve when your burdon gets heavy. Just like when a person cries, and feels better after, although nothing changed.

Some pray to say thank-you for something God didn't give, but you think you were worthy of it, so you think God gave it to you.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Some pray to say thank-you for something God didn't give,

Like this JH?

Lord, we cleared this land, we plowed it, sowed and harvested it, and we cooked the harvest; it wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank the Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat. Amen. Infidel prayer from the movie "Shenandoah"

• JH
    JH

That's the most honest prayer I ever heard.

• JH
    JH

'No health benefit' from prayer.

The MANTRA study, run from Duke University Medical Center in North Carolina, involved 750 patients.

Before their operations, they were randomly split into two groups, and half were prayed for by Christians, Jews, Buddhists and Muslims. However, checks revealed they had fared no better than those not prayed for.

The results of the controversial study contradict earlier findings from the same team which suggested a drop of a quarter or more in "adverse outcomes" - including death, heart failure or heart attack.

However, that trial involved only 150 patients, and the more extensive research, completed this year, found no evidence of any benefits.

The study is the subject of a BBC "Everyman" documentary to be broadcast next week.

Prayer teams from various denominations and faiths were alerted by email to start intercessory prayer as soon as possible after the patient was enrolled on the trial.

Neither hospital staff, the patients, or their relatives had any idea which patients' were receiving prayer, to prevent any chance of the results being skewed.

After the patients had undergone an angioplasty procedure, in which a balloon is insterted into a heart artery and inflated to clear an obstruction, they were followed for six months to see how they progressed.

'Unwise test'

Many theologians say that, even if you believe in the power of intercessory prayer, such a trial is doomed to failure because it "puts God to the test" - and there are clear instructions in the Bible not to do this.

The Bishop of Durham is critical of the experiment The Bishop of Durham, the Rt Rev Tom Wright, said: "Prayer is not a penny in the slot machine. You can't just put in a coin and get out a chocolate bar. This is like setting an exam for God to see if God will pass it or not."

Other experts are highly critical of the concept that the benefits of prayer might be "dose-dependent" - that is, that the benefits might increase as the number of people praying went up.

This is particularly important, as Duke University is at the centre of the US "Bible belt" - and many of the trial participants, regardless of whether they were randomised to receive prayer during the trial, would be getting it from relatives and friends - and of course themselves.

Dr. Richard Sloan, from the New York Presbyterian Hospital, described the concept of a prayer "dose" as "absurd".

He said: "It requires us to abandon our understanding of the physical universe."

Original Article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3193902.stm

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

There's a saying: Nothing fails like prayer.

It is the epitome if inaction and the lack of pro-activeness in solving problems.

• Terry
    Terry

If I ever find myself in "one of those" discussions with a true-believer and they won't let go of the bone (of contention) I resort to pulling out the Prayer nuke.

I look them squarely in the eye and tell them evenly, "Look, let's not kid each other. We both know that praying to God is just talking to yourself."

I then tell them, "The answer to your prayer is equal to two things: 1.What you can do for yourself 2.The natural consequence of ordinary events."

When you get sick here is what naturally happens:

1.You get sicker

2.You get better

Now ask yourself at what point you'd start PRAYING TO GET BETTER. Would it be:

1.When you are NOT sick? No.

2.When you are already sick and starting to get sicker? Yes.

3.At the point where you get better (anyway) wouldn't you be thinking your prayer was working? Yes.

Okay, just leave the praying out of it entirely and you realize what's going on and how it "works".

Now, stage two.

Serious illness.

1. You get seriously ill.

2.You get worse.

3.You die

If you insert a ton of fervent prayers in there and the person dies; gues what? IT WAS GOD'S WILL.

That is the favorite cop-out.

This mindset reinforces the God/Prayer efficacy.

I seriously instruct people to DANCE THE HOKEY-POKEY FOR ME if I am sick or going through hard times.

I say unto them: "Dancing the Hokey-Pokey is just as effective as prayer (not at all) and far more entertaining.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit