Are there not enough anti-Witness books out there?

by free2beme 37 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

I don't know, I think some of the churches are getting interested so their members can talk to the jw's at the door. I was listening to a Christian station in the car the other day and in a very short period of time there were three ads about jw's and get this book or cd to learn how to talk to them! I was shocked to say the least as I have never heard that on the radio before. I hope people order the stuff!

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

Since our middle son is completely shunning us, even though he has only heard gossip and never once asked us for some facts, I've made a point to tell everyone in our area I can how the WT teaches its members to shun family. They ask "why"? then I've the opportunity to mention a few issues they could ask any JW that come to their door, like why Jesus is their mediator only if they're associated with the WT's 144,000, why JW's aren't told if there is a pedophile in their midst so they can protect their children and why the WT doesn't tell the truth about 607, or the UN issue. It has stirred a number of conversations. One grocery clerk said her church had a program on talking to JW's. Maybe if JW's started getting questioned when they were out in service, someone of them might begin checking things out.

Little Bo Peep

• Terry
    Terry

The ideal reader of such a book is not targeted: the faithful rank and file Jehovah's Witness.

More's the pity!

When I was at my peak of cultish obedience and a full-time Pioneer I read every such book available. Naturally I was

filtering and looking for something which I could detect as a lie, exaggeration or phoney fact. It was always there to remove me emotionally from buying in to the debunking.

Here is my short list of what pulls a curious JW away from most (not all) books on the market.

1.The book immediately demonstrates a bias. (I know, "duh") Any anti-JW bias will be read as an unfair attack.

The solution to this is a NEUTRAL presentation which is balanced, fair and more of a fact-finding expedition.

2.The ex-JW author usually lapses into sob-story of how they were duped and mistreated. No JW will ever believe that. Further, an ex-JW is automatically Apostate and Satanic. They are seen as having an agenda for destruction.

The solution to this is saving the autobiographical tidbits for the end and steering clear of the personal recriminations. The exception to this is Ray Franz. His autobiography is essential as an insider who "knows".

3.The worst offenders (from the JW point-of-view) are the newly born-again ex-Jdubs who extoll (I've returned to my own vomit) the I've found Jesus scenarios!

The solution to this is to put selling your newfound "Hallelujah" moment on the backburner and concentrate on helping a trapped JW find somethng to agree with in what you are offering.

4. It is a dead end to start out with the history of Charles Taze Russel or J.F. Rutherford and their wackiness. Why? The average rank and file JW hardly knows (or cares!) about the history of the organization. They've been led by the nose into the "progressive revelation" over time nonsense. "That was THEN and this is NOW" would be the natural response.

The solution to this is to concentrate on two important non-refutable points: 1914 as the result of the elusive 607 b.c.e. date and false prophecy. (i.e. How can a false prophet be Jehovah's mouthpiece?)

These four points are the four corners of failure when it comes to reaching a troubled JW.

The number one problem with reaching a JW who is on the fence about whether they are in the right religion is this:
    THERE IS NO PLACE THEY CAN GO to replace the Kingdom Hall that won't make them flinch.

You can't send them anywhere. They are stuck out there on their own. They sure as hell aren't going to skip down to the local Baptist church!

When you take something away from somebody you have to fill the empty space with more than just nothing.

• Andy C
    Andy C

Hmmmm. Interesting, something to think about.

• free2beme
    free2beme

While there may be seen a need for a certain category of anti-Witness books, my point is still the same, only people against the Witnesses are going to read these and there are so many. I agree, the category of "I left the Witnesses and here is my story" is the most overdone, yet it all seems overdone. Realize, at this point, any new book would become just further reference material and not something that would rock the world of the Witnesses or anything else. Witnesses, unless they are exiting, would not read this information. We are not going to put the society on notice, with anything.

• VM44
    VM44

What is needed are biographies of Russell and Rutherford.

Do you realize that there are none?

You can find books about the founders of most any other religion, except the Jehovah's Witnesses>

One could almost get the idea that The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses are maintaining some sort of secretive cult religion!

--VM44

• Terry
    Terry
    free2Bme: Realize, at this point, any new book would become just further reference material and not something that would rock the world of the Witnesses or anything else. Witnesses, unless they are exiting, would not read this information. We are not going to put the society on notice, with anything.

I couldn't disagree more.

Some people who do write have no natural ability for it.

Others can put a point across effortlessly with wit, style and substance.

Have you ever heard a kid who hates lessons practising piano? They may even be hitting the right notes, but; the result is excruciating!

Unless and until a person hears something expressed to them in a way that it can be accepted

the content is hidden.

THE STYLE MUST MATCH THE MATERIAL.

There are people who just can't tell a joke.

• Mary
    Mary

Here's a few books I've recently written about the Borg......they'll being released shortly by McMillan & Co.

DUMMIES-4.jpg alt alt alt

All to be Best Sellers!!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    I do think that the process of writing these books can be cathartic

I wrote a book, not for anyone but myself, and am continuing to write it, over 1000 pages so far. It was the only way I could bring 10 years of mindswirling ideas to a logical conclusion. One day I may print it, and if it is read by 1 person or 100,000 it was still worth it.

(Ecclesiastes 12:12) . . .To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion [to them] is wearisome to the flesh.

There has always been much written, but there is only so much that a person can read. My book is for my family. I know how they think. I hope that when they are ready,my book will be ready.

An indication of who reads information, I regularly get emails to my website, mostly from JWs who are searching. It is almost exJWs that do much of the reading, and these are the important ones.

• parakeet
    parakeet

free2bme: ***"While there may be seen a need for a certain category of anti-Witness books, my point is still the same, only people against the Witnesses are going to read these..."***

I disagree. There are two small but critical groups who need these books: JWs on the fence and those studying with JWs. Before I left the JWs, I agonized for 2 years about how to go about leaving. I found the courage to leave only after I read Grizzuti-Harrison's "Visions of Glory." I still have the book, tattered now after more than 25 years.
    Ex-JWs often read these books for information only, but for those on the verge of joining or leaving the JWs, these books can be a godsend (no pun intended). And I agree with Drew, information in books written even as little as 10 years ago becomes dated, so new books are needed to keep up with current issues going on with the WTS.
    As long as the WTS exists, there will be books needed to inform everyone who wants to know the truth about this cult.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit