Are there not enough anti-Witness books out there?

by free2beme 37 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

***Yet, the society will not be brought down with a publication on them, unless the whole world suddenly became interested in this tiny religion.***
    Who said anything about bringing down the society? My point was that anti-JW books with up-to-date information have the potential to help those who are thinking of joining or leaving the WTS. If a book helps bring just ONE person out of that cult, it's certainly well worth having been written.

***...unless the whole world suddenly became interested in this tiny religion. If that happened, and people started turning on them, then guess what ... your fulfilling a prophesy they have long since wanted and now it makes them stronger.***
    In spite of all that's been written exposing the corrupt underbelly of the WTS (and there's been some really scandalous stuff revealed), the "whole world" has not stopped in its tracks to focus on the JWs. There are plenty of even more vicious groups out there to compete for that kind of attention. If the WTS ever does fall, it will collapse from within under the weight of its false prophecies and hate-mongering doctrine.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

"My point is the same one I would say to a Witness who felt this latest Watchtower article was going to cause a stir in society. It wont, write all you want, but don't put some unrealistic weight to it. Like it is something that will change the world. There are already plenty of books out there, that covered the same topic tenfold and the society is still there. You can add to it, give the slant on things that you think is not covered and even express some great insight. In the end, the shelves are not empty in the anti-JW topic and your addition might please someone. Yet, the society will not be brought down with a publication on them, unless the whole world suddenly became interested in this tiny religion. If that happened, and people started turning on them, then guess what ... your fulfilling a prophesy they have long since wanted and now it makes them stronger."

Here’s a good litmus test if more books on the JW experience have value. If they sell, there will be more books (ergo, they have a place). If they don't sell, there will eventually be no more books on the subject. It’s really just that simple. There’s really no debate. There’s a house for sale on my street that in my opinion is way overpriced. If it sells for that price, the house is worth it. It doesn’t sell for that price, then the market doesn’t support the sellers opinion of the value of the house. It’s all about economics. Opinions really don’t matter very much.

As far as killing off the Watchtower Society, well, that’s just so much idealism. Even if it died, there would be a dozen more waiting to take its place. Cults have value in society (for the confused and feeble minded, that is) and therefore they will always have a place in society, unfortunately. Who cares if the Watchtower Society survives or not? It’s irrelevant. There will always be fires and burn victims. Lets focus on the victims and let the fire take care of itself.

• Justin
    Justin

I also think there is a need for more and more books. Books typically have a shelf-life in the stores. It doesn't matter how good a book may be. For the publisher, it is a financial investment and when it brings diminishing returns it will go out of print. True, some of these books will appear in libraries, but even then they will no longer be available for all readers. Also, as has been mentioned, due to the ever-changing beliefs of JWs, books rapidly become dated. They must be replaced by up-to-date material.

Books are a good introduction to this religion for those with no previous exposure - people whose relatives are becoming JWs or people who are considering a JW as a significant other. A good book begins the subject matter with the assumption that the reader knows nothing about it, and it proceeds to develop the subject in a logical, cohesive order. Someone with no previous knowledge who searches the internet, on the other hand, may find the information overwhelming - as if they were jumping on a merry-go-round. I would hope that more books will be published soon.

• oldflame
    oldflame

I was at my local christian book store the other day to buy a couple of books for a tenant of mine who I learned was studying with the witnesses. There was a whole isle committed to cult religions and there were more about the witnesses than any other cult. So I would say they are doing a pretty good job at making the publications showing where the society is a false religion.. Just to bad she didn't take the books. I told her that I was sorry, that it was her salvation and walked away. I just hope someday she will see the light before it is too late.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I am happy to see all the books. We were so severly lacking in information prior to the net, the wts was able to get away with so much BS, well we have a few years catching up to do.

The scene of the world is changing (sound familar, I think it was a talk) so many ways jws can be exposed. We have videos now, we have tape recorders, we have all kinds of stuff that makes it able for us to catch them doing their dirty deeds. Now we have some brave souls out there too.

one, I have not seen on the board for a while

RitchieRich -got us a book that i'm sure the legal team at the WTS is still sweating out.

Barbara and joe are suing and most surely a book will come out of this

Lady lee is going to have a best seller book, when she's finished.

I hope there is no end to the books and videos.

As for no one being interested, that is not exactly true. For sure it will be sold to mostly those leaving, but right now if someone wrote a book exposing the Mormon church, I'd get it. Or the SDA, or Baptists for that matter. I'd read most any book written exposing any religion. They deserve it, they have had way too much power for way too long.

Don't stop now, they are just starting to sweat. let the sweat continue.

We need apostate lawyers.

• free2beme
    free2beme
    If they sell, there will be more books (ergo, they have a place). If they don't sell, there will eventually be no more books on the subject.

I would say, that other then COC, most Witness books have a limited amount of sales and anyone who write one with the idea that they will make money, will be quickly disappointed. I just wanted to express that I think a lot of weight is placed on new publications making some change in the society and in reality they will come and go, and the people who were already against the Witnesses, will be the main ones to notice and read them.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Agreed Free, with one exception. The book, "The Kingdom of the Cults" by the late Walter Martin, is a must read for family's of Jehovah's Witnesses (as well as Mormons) who want to know more about the Organization and why their JW family members act the way they do. (IMO)

I've been dealing off and on now for some time with former Jehovah's Witnesses. Some over the Internet like this, and some face to face. I have sat across from people who have very recently left, who have had some fifty years of their lives invested in the Watchtower Society. Here's my take; Some are really pissed and feel betrayed and (IMO) they need to connect with their anger and not suppress it. I think this kinda person could benefit from media (books, websites, support groups, etc.) which will help them get in touch with their feelings. Some are heartbroken and need encouragement and could best use media along those lines for help. And there are the ones who are confused and don't which way to turn and they could probably benefit from words of encouragement and guidance. The right tool for the right job kinda thing.

I know where you're comin' from though. You're making a philosophical point, how much is enough? I guess it gets down to a matter of opinion, and I respect yours. BTW, I appreciate this thread and being able to contribute to it. I really can't get into the 'fluff' threads and those topics that have been done over and over again. This has been an interesting topic.

Steve

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

No, there may not be a shortage, but for someone genuinely researching the JW's and looking for information, the more anti JW books the better.

When I was in school and did a search in my school library about JW's all I could come up with was in the section on cults. I read everything I could, but there wasn't too much at the time.

If someone was studying with a JW and wanted outside research on the JW's, if there were more anti JW books than pro JW books, hopefully would make them think twice about becoming a JW.

I don't think there could ever be too many anti JW books.

BB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit