Barbara Anderson- Your new book on Russell

by IW 57 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2
    so does this mean we should quit blaming the men for writing all that crapola and start blaming give credit to the women for writing all that crapola?

Notwithstanding the obvious humour, I wouldn't define crapola along gender lines; crapola is crapola no matter what the colour of the bag (blue or pink). However, it's interesting that the things Charles and Maria got their knickers so intensely twisted up about just over 100 years ago can now be seen as dreary ego-driven rants about "God's Divine Plan" which humorless souls (i.e., JWs and affiliated groups) vainly try to flog back into life.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I got from Witness Inc. way back in the day the transcripts for the Walsh, Moyle, and United States v. Rutherford cases, but I neglected to get the Russell vs. Russell one, darn it. Now, there is an online full-text archive of all the Brooklyn Daily Eagle newspapers, but it goes only up to 1902. I don't get it through ancestry.com either, and the awesome Newsbank archive goes only up to 1876.

• stev
    stev

In the early editions of the Millennial Dawn, there is a preface in which C. T. Russell acknowledges the assistance of his wife. I think it only appears in the first three volumes. I do not recall that he explained what the assistance was, whether writing or research or encouragement. Perhaps someone who has these early editions can look it up. This preface did not appear in later editions of Millennial Dawn or Studies in the Scriptures.

Much of the first volume, The Divine Plan of the Ages, was based on previous material, word-for-word, from articles that appeared in Zion's Watch Tower. For example, the chapter on the Explanation of the Chart of the Ages, and other chapters, was taken from Food for Thinking Christians in 1881. Some of the subjects had been written about numerous times. So it is not likely that Maria Russell wrote this volume.

Volumes 2 and 3 contain time proofs, with some modification and additional material, that appeared previously in the Three Worlds, and Day Dawn by Paton.

In the book Countdown To Armageddon, the author speculated that the extensive quotations in the Vol. 4 The Day of Vengeance might have been due to the estranged relationship of the Russells, and that Maria was not available to help with the writing.

I have not seen the divorce transcripts, but someone who has told me that Maria did claim to write some of the volumes, and that Charles denied it.

It is not likely that Maria had any part in Vol. 5 and 6, since these were published 1899 and 1903.

Maria had the ability to write the volumes and probably had more than time than Charles to do so, but Charles also had the ability. It is unlikely that we can know how much she contributed to them. It is likely that the conflict that they had in the editorial work contributed to the lack of authorship noted in the WT publications after that. Russell had a writing staff, and did have women on the writing staff. It is highly unlikely that Russell could have written the thousands of pages attributed to him, although he did dictate much.

Each of the Millennial Dawn volumes followed a well constructed plan, and were written with some care. But they do not make for easy reading today, partly because of the language, but also because the doctrinal and chronological subject matter. Vol. 6 is especially verbose, with long-winded sentences, and flowery Victorian language.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Well, isn't the old saying, behind every great man is a great woman?

• steve2
    steve2
    Well, isn't the old saying, behind every great man is a great woman?

Russell a great man? I don't think so! I'd be happier if the saying just read "Behind every ego-driven scribe is a long-suffering woman".

• stev
    stev

The Russell's relationship has been painted in black-and-white terms which does not do justice to the complexity of their relationship. In fairness to Charles, he was willing to marry a woman more educated than himself, and to have her serve as his associate editor. It is likely that Maria did colloborate in some capacity with him in the writing of the volumes up to Vol. 4. He supported her in leading a woman's group in the Allegheny church. He was also willing to leave her the control of the Society after he died. It appears that he treated her with respect and appreciation that compares favorably with other ministers of that time.

The exception would be their ill-advised agreement, assuming it was mutual, that they would remain celibate in marriage. Perhaps they were encouraged by their notion that their time on earth would be short, and best be devoted to religious work. Regardless, this likely caused Maria frustration as a wife, and prevented fulfillment as a mother, and she might have instead sought fulfillment elsewhere in her work.

Unfortunately, this brought her into conflict with her own husband. She had differences with Charles in the editorial work, and did not like the changes that he made to her articles. She developed views about the roles of men and women that differed from Charles' s more traditional views. Charles might have been willing to tolerate differences of opinion, but this subject had a bearing on his own power and authority, and coming from his wife/associate editor, would have been threatening to him and controversial to his followers. It seems that Maria was ahead of her time and was fighting a battle that at that point she couldn't win, but did not back down. There were other complications such as Rose Ball, and that Charles and his father married sisters.

Both Charles and Maria were dogmatic and self-righteous and inflexible, which many religious leaders possess, but makes for a difficult marriage. They became victims of the religious drama that they had created, with damaging consequences for them and the religious movement that formed. The bitterness and acrimony between them suggests that their relationship had indeed at one time been a close one. It is believable that Maria was treated cruelly after her being stigmatized as disloyal and apostate. Charles had more power and authority in the relationship, and no matter how much falsehood she might have spread about him, he had some duty toward her, and his failure and reluctance to pay alimony is indefensible.

Their marriage was further complicated by the religious roles that they played, and the boundary lines were not kept separate, and interfered with their marriage. Another example of how religion can bring families close, but also separate them.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I know Rusell's wife wrote a lot of the WT articles. I always heard she was a very intelligent lady. I am not sure of all the stories about Russell but I would be interested in reading Barbara's book.

About RR: I joined his site shortly after I left the JWs. A friend of mine who is a bible student recomeded it as they have some things in common with the Witnesses. Anyway, big mistake. I did not realize how much they had in common: false prophecies, relying on dates, faithful slave already appt. until I joined.

I tried to ask Q about the bible but kept getting quotes from the Studies in Scripture books. When RR and his group found out although I agree with a few things Rusell taught, that I did not support most of it they had the same reaction to me as the Witnesses had and called me: apostate, devil, misled, evil and told me I was not in the body of Christ and did not have holy spirit because I had to except everything that Jesus' faithful servant taught (Russell of course) in order to be in Christ's body. This was very traumatic experience as I had just left the Witnesses and had the same type of experience.

I found him (RR) very arrogant as a person. And his group of so-called Christians bombarded my email account with nasty letters of pure insult and rage at me. I had to go a another bible student elder to get it to stop. I know he spoke with RR but to no avail. Anyway, this is my personal experience with his group.

I am familiar with some other bible student groups who are much nicer than his. I like the "free bible student" groups as they do not just study Russell's books.

I just wanted all to know my experience with this person and that I believe most of the bible students are the same type of organization as the Jehovahs' Witnesses in that they feel they have all the truth and are the only true Christians. And they do not actually study the bible but books that interpret it.

And by the way RR kept repeating to me his loyalty to "Pastor" Russell, I say good for you but I am more loyal to Jesus and do not put any man above him.

• minimus
    minimus

So it WAS the woman's fault, huh?

• integ
    integ

I realize that the thrust of this thread is not to neccessarily promote the divulgence of this information to active witnesses in an effort to discredit Russell and thusly discredit the WTS beliefs and truthfulness, but.........

If you were to present this to a witness to reach that end, they may respond; "So what? all it means is that Jehovah used Russells' wife to help promote Truth. We don't worship Russell. Never have. We worship Jehovah, and the fact He chose to use this woman to serve His purposes, should give all sisters assurance that Jehovah loves, appreciates, and is willing to use women to promote Bible truth".

..off topic perhaps but I just thought I'd throw that in there.

Thanks

Integ.

• IW
    IW

Lots of great stuff on this thread! Thanks Stev! I think its important to get the truth of the matter out if that's possible. Most JWs might not care and many Bible Students may not believe it but who cares!!!! We know and that's what counts!

The truth can make you free as we all have quite literally found out and if in later years Russell covered over the fact that his wife co-authored the Volumes that is another "truth" to add to his shame of face.

Barbara kindly answered my pm and she'll be giving her take on this either later today or tomorrow.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit