Barbara Anderson- Your new book on Russell

by IW 57 Replies latest jw friends

• IW
    IW

Athanasius,

Interestingly after Russell and his wife separated in 1897, he only published one more book, The New Creation, volume 6 of the Studies in the Scriptures.

Yes, it is. Thanks!

IW

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Have these transcripts been posted here yet?

I don't recall coming across them. Let me check something and I'll be back.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think we might have to wait for the books

• IW
    IW

Lady Lee,

I think we might have to wait for the books

Does Jim Penton quote the transcripts in his book? Perhaps someone could post that.

IW

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.pastor-russell.com/misc/bde.html

The above has some excerpts of the transcript

On March 13, 1879, Russell married Maria (pronounced 'moriah') Frances Ackley (1850-1938) after merely a few months' acquaintance. Although expressing a fondness for each other, the marriage was not based on a romantic love, but was a mutually agreed upon celibate partnership established for preaching the gospel. In 1897 they separated following disagreements over the propriety of her role in the management of Zion's Watch Tower magazine. Russell recorded his version of events in the July 15, 1906 issue that can be read here. In 1906, she sued him for divorce under the claim of mental cruelty as a direct result of their marriage agreement of perpetual celibacy. During the trial she indirectly alleged sexual misconduct by Charles with a Watch Tower stenographer whom they had long been caring for as a foster child. The Brooklyn Daily Eagle published what was claimed to be segments from the court transcript, which can be read by visiting this link. Maria Russell, as she was named in her obituary, died in St. Petersburg, Florida in August of 1938 from Hodgkin's disease.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Does Jim Penton quote the transcripts in his book? Perhaps someone could post that

No It's not in the book. I also checked Four Presidents and it isn't in there either

• IW
    IW

Hi Blondie,

Thanks for the link to the court transcipts. They do not mention Maria's authorship of the volumes though, apparently Jim Penton's source is different. Do you know where he got his info?

Thanks,

IW

• blondie
    blondie

These are only an excerpt. I would suggest using Google to see what you can track down and contacting Leoilia on this board. She and VM44 see to have access to some of the history.

It's not my expertise. I found the above using Google search.

Blondie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    Do you know where he got his info?

it would seem he got the transcript. He is a respected researcher and author and I can't see that he would just take some other person's word for it. So the transcript is out there somewhere

I tried googling it but got nothing

• IW
    IW

Lady Lee, I also tried finding it online but failed. Do you think Jim Penton would post the transcript here? More JWs lurk here than would read his book and I think it would be a great incentive for them to look further into their religious roots.

IW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit